|Ailee(에 일 리)|
May 30, 1989
Denver, Colorado, U.S.
|Website||Japanese Official Site|
|Revised Romanization||I Ye-jin|
Before her K-pop debut, Ailee was signed under Muzo Entertainment in America. She moved to South Korea in 2010, where she passed an audition and became an artist for YMC Entertainment. After being recognized for her singing on Singer and Trainee, she started acting on the KBS drama series Dream High 2.
Ailee received the Best New Artist Award at the MelOn Music Awards, Golden Disk Awards, Gaon Chart K-Pop Awards and the Seoul Music Awards. She has also received a Best Newcomer and Four Best Female Vocal Performance awards at the Mnet Asian Music Awards for "U&I", "Singing Got Better", "Mind Your Own Business" and "If You". For her work in Fated to Love You's OST, "Goodbye My Love", Ailee won Best Original Soundtrack at the 7th Korea Drama Awards.
Ailee was invited as a VIP guest to perform at a pre-Grammy party for the 55th Grammy Awards and attended both the ceremony and red carpet in Los Angeles. She has received the Mnet America Rising Star Award.
- 1 Life and career
- 2 Personal life
- 3 Discography
- 4 Concerts
- 5 Filmography
- 6 Awards and nominations
- 7 References
- 8 External links
Life and career
Early life and career beginnings
Ailee was born in Denver, Colorado, on 30 May 1989, but grew up in New Jersey. She attended Palisades Park High School before moving to nearby Leonia. She graduated from Scotch Plains-Fanwood High School, and went on to study communications at Pace University before dropping out to pursue a career in music. Before her K-pop debut, Ailee was signed under Muzo Entertainment, an independent agency based in New York City and New Jersey. Under this label she collaborated with several artists, such as Johnnyphlo and Philadelphia-based rapper Decipher. Prior to moving to South Korea, Ailee created the YouTube channels "mzamyx3" and "aileemusic" to bring attention to her singing on the web.
Ailee moved to South Korea in 2010 after she landed a music label audition through her uncle's connections. She sang "Resignation" by Big Mama, and was recruited for YMC Entertainment on the spot. During her trainee days, she was featured in labelmate Wheesung's song "They Are Coming", which was released in October 2011. She also sang in Decipher and Jay Park's song "Catch Me If You Can". Ailee performed with Jay Park, Art of Movement, Johnnyphlo, Decipher, and Clara C at "projectKorea III", which was held at Rutgers University in 2010. In September 2011, Ailee and Wheesung were featured on the MBC's Chuseok special episode of Singer and Trainee. Ailee performed "Halo" by Beyoncé, impressing the audience with her powerful vocals and stage presence. After the judges had graded all the participants, Ailee was the first-place winner.
2012: Debut, Invitation 
On February 6, 2012 the music video teaser for Ailee's debut song "Heaven" was released. The track was written and produced by Ailee's labelmate Wheesung. Ailee released the song on February 9 along with the music video, which featured male group Beast member Gi Kwang. Later that day, she made her debut stage performance of "Heaven" on M.net's M! Countdown, and then on SBS's Inkigayo later in February. Just one month after her debut, she won two awards at the Cyworld Music Awards: "Song of the Month" and "Rookie of the Month".
In March 2012, Ailee made her first appearances on KBS's Immortal Songs 2, performing Patti Kim’s song “Light and Shadow” from 1967. On 19 May, on part 2 of the J.Y. Park special, she performed Park’s debut song "Don’t Leave Me". She beat Davichi’s Lee Haeri by 1 point, 419 to 418, for the win. She appeared on 30 June episode of Immortal Songs 2, which featured composer Yoon Il Sang. She performed "Fate" by Lee Seung Chul and won again with 402 votes. In August, it was announced that she was making a temporary leave from the show in order to focus on her music. She performed her final stage on 6 August, and the episode aired on 1 September. Later in August, she made an appearance in the 3rd episode of Jay Park's online web series, Jay Park TV, where she was backstage attending Park's concert in Seoul. She also co-hosted the ABU Radio Song Festival with Han Seok Joon on 11 October 2012.
On 16 October, Ailee released her debut mini-album, Invitation, which contained the title track, "I’ll Show You" (보여줄게). The mini-album contains six tracks. It was produced by producers such as Kim Do Hoon, Lee Hyun Seung, Park Guentae, Duble Sidekick, Wheesung, and featured artists such as Verbal Jint, Swings and Simon D. On 18 October, Ailee made her comeback with "I'll Show You" on M! Countdown. On 23 November, She was able to acquire her first trophy in a music program (Music Bank) beating Psy's "Gangnam Style".
2013–2014: A's Doll House and Magazine
On 4 July 2013, Ailee announced that she would release her second mini album entitled, A's Doll House, on 12 July. The album's single "U&I" topped music charts within four hours of release and earned Ailee her first "All-Kill" status. Popularity for the physical album was also deemed high when nearly all stores in Korea were sold out of the album on the first day of release. Orders overwhelmed the amount of stock, and a representative from Ailee's agency stated, "The rate at which this album is selling is many times greater than the previous album’s."
On 4 August 2013, it was revealed that Ailee would be making her Japanese debut with "Heaven" under Warner Music Japan. The music video was released on 21 October. Ailee started to promote the song with a showcase at Shibuya O-East, Tokyo, on 21 October. The single was released on 6 November, and also included the song "Starlight".
On 14 September 2013, it was announced that Ailee will release a digital single, "Higher", with pianist Yiruma. Two days later, "Higher" was released online. On 16 December 2013, it was revealed that Ailee would be making a comeback after a six-month hiatus in January 2014.
A music video teaser was released on 2 January ahead of the full release. Both the full music video and the full digital song were released on 6 January. The music video features MBLAQ's Lee Joon. "Singing Got Better" reached #1 on Korea's major charts: Mnet, Bugs, Olleh, Soribada, Naver Music, Daum Music, and Genie.
Ailee again made an appearance on an episode of Immortal Songs, the broadcast date being 12 April 2014. The theme for the episode was "American Songs Famous in South Korea", and Ailee was chosen first to which she performed a rousing and emotional rendition of Whitney Houston's "I Will Always Love You", a song originally written and recorded by country singer Dolly Parton released in 1974. She received 409 points for her performance, despite later losing in the episode; her performance remains critically acclaimed and well known for its final key change, and remains as one of the most watched Immortal Songs performances on YouTube.
On 16 September 2014, it was announced that Ailee would be having a comeback through YMC Entertainment's official Twitter account. On 21 September 2014, the teaser for Ailee's "Don't Touch Me" was released. It was written by Min Yun-jae, Jakops, and Ailee. The full MV was released in 25 September 2014. Later that day, promotions for her new album, Magazine, commenced. It peaked at #2 for the Gaon Single Chart. She won the first trophy for "Don't Touch Me" in 5 October 2014, on SBS Inkigayo.
2015: "Johnny", first solo concert, and VIVID
On 20 September, it was announced that Ailee would be having a comeback through YMC Entertainment's official Twitter account. In addition, a video teaser of her title track entitled "Mind Your Own Business" (너나 잘해) was released on 1theK's YouTube page on 22 September. Ailee's first full-length album, VIVID, was released on 30 September 2015. She won her first trophy for this promotion on 7 October on Show Champion.
On 14 November, Ailee held a special concert in Rancho Mirage (Palm Springs), California, USA
2016: "If You" and A New Empire
On August 16, it was announced that Ailee was currently in preparations for her next album. It was stated that she worked on with a variety of several artists; one of them was revealed to be Yoon Mirae. On August 19, the teaser for the music video of "If You", was posted on LOEN and YMC Entertainment's YouTube channel. The teaser features Nayoung of I.O.I. The single "If You" is a pre-release track described to be a retro-soul tack, produced by the same lyricists and composers of "Dream", a popular duet between miss A's Suzy and EXO's Baekhyun. The song was also co-written and produced by Park Geuntae, who also produced Ailee's "Evening Sky" from Invitation. The music video was released on August 23, 2016. "If You" subsequently hit number 1 on several charts within a day, topping the MelOn roof, Gaon Weekly Chart for Digital Download, and BGM charts. On December 2, Ailee was again awarded with Best Vocal Performance, this time for "If You", at the Mnet Asian Music Awards, a record-breaking consecutive fourth-year win in the category.
On September 28, YMC Entertainment's official Twitter announced the teaser for the title track "Home" on her next album, A New Empire. On October 5, A New Empire was released, along with the music video for "Home" that was officially released on LOEN and YMC Entertainment's official YouTube channel. The music video and song features Yoon Mirae.
On the December 17 broadcast of Immortal Songs, Ailee won with 416 points for her performance of "Don't Forget Me" (나를 잊지 말아요), making it her sixth win on the television music competition program.
2017-present: Perfect All-Kill & Speculated American Debut, "Fall Back"
On January 4, it was announced that Ailee would be releasing a single for the South Korean cable television series Goblin, or Guardian: The Lonely and the Great God OST. The single itself, a ballad, known as "I Will Go to You Like the First Snow" (첫눈처럼 너에게 가겠다), was released for digital download on January 7. The single was part 9 in a series composed of high-charting singles. Its initial release was not paired with a music video, unlike some of the previous releases from the OST, but it was well received in its first week on music charts, debuting 19 on the Gaon Chart in the week of January 1-7. On January 12, Ailee achieved a Perfect All-Kill, her first, for the single hit Number 1 on all South Korean music sites listed on iChart. For the week of January 8-14, the single also moved up 18 spots, topping the Gaon Chart. On January 19, it was declared that the single achieved a "Triple Crown", also Ailee's first, for taking Number 1 on the Gaon Combined Digital Chart, Online Download Chart and Online Streaming Chart. As of February 1, the single has managed to clench onto the top spot for three weeks. On March 9, Gaon Chart revealed that Ailee’s OST “I Will Go to You Like the First Snow” took first place on February’s combined monthly digital chart. It was the second month in a row that the song has sat in this position, after also taking the top spot on the chart back in January. Along with this single, the television series and the OST itself are also very successful.
During this period, music label WestSide Entertainment, the management agency responsible for the names such as Nelly and Keyshia Cole, teased the debut for A.Leean, a "famous singer" under a "new alias". Although it has not been officially confirmed, and despite an absence of any public appearance or promotion by the artist, there has been massive speculation that this artist is none other than Ailee. The management agency had discussed that the reason for this alias is to minimize the effects of racial prejudice the charts seem to have towards Asians in the American music industry. On January 6, a preview of the single "Fall Back" was released, a day before its official limited release. The single "Fall Back" is a uptempo dance-pop, synthpop song. On January 12, the single became available for purchase on all major music sites, and the day after, "Fall Back" became available on the streaming outlet Spotify; and on January 18, the full official lyric video for the single was released on the ALeeanVEVO channel, which reached 50 000 views four days later. The lyric video is in the style of a comic, which story arc, according to the management agency, will continue for any upcoming singles by A.Leean.
On 10 November 2013, Korean pop gossip site AllKPop.com published a story containing several nude photos of Ailee taken prior to her debut as a singer. The following day, YMC Entertainment issued a statement claiming that "the pictures are of her she took when she was offered to be a lingerie model. [She] took nude photos because they wanted a better judgment of her body but the company was unable to be contacted after she took them. She reported them to the police and it was later found that she was scammed by a company who approached other college girls as well. Ailee discussed the matter with her ex-boyfriend, a former AllKPop employee, and he claimed that he would need to see the exact content of the pictures before coming up with a solution so she sent them to him." On 24 November, a 2009 police report filed by Ailee revealed that Ailee had sent the pictures to her friend over Facebook, only to find out her friend's Facebook account had been hacked. As a result of the scandal, Ailee was removed from several advertising campaigns, including for fried chicken company Kyochon. Kyochon responded, "Ailee’s commercial contract hasn’t ended. But consumers have been showing sensitive reactions to Ailee’s recent situation, and Ailee’s agency is also not entirely keen on the singer’s exposure at this time, so we took certain steps.”
- Vivid (2015)
- 2013: Japan Debut Showcase (Shibuya, Japan)
- 2015: Fatal Attraction (1st Solo Concert)
- 2015: Ailee Concert (California, USA)
- 2016: Welcome Home (Seoul)
- 2017: Welcome Home (Daegu)
- 2017: Welcome Home (Suwon)
- 2017: Welcome Home (Daejeon)
- 2017: Welcome Home (Busan)
- 2013: In Istanbul (Special Stage "Üsküdar'a Gider İken" Cover)
- 2014: In Brazil (Special Stage "Aquarela do Brasil" Cover + World Cup Cheering)
- 2014: In Mexico (Special Stage "Donde Voy" Cover)
- 2014: Winter Concert with Eric Benet
- 2014: Someday Concert with Wheesung
- 2015: Back to School with Wheesung
- 2016: Come Here with Yoon Min Soo
ETC.(Big Concert / Event)
- 2012: Music Core (Vietnam)
- 2013: 27th Golden Disk Awards (Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia)
- 2013: Grammy Awards Pre-Party (LA, USA)
- 2013: MNET M! Countdown (Taiwan)
- 2013: Eru Concert (Jakarta, Indonesia)
- 2013: 2K13 Feel Korea (São Paulo, Brazil)
- 2013: 2K13 Feel Korea (Perth, Australia)
- 2014: VK-Pop Superstar (Hanoi, Vietnam)
- 2014: MTV The Stage Big Pleasure
- 2014: Eru Hide & Seek (Jakarta, Indonesia)
- 2014: Mnet Asian Music Awards (Hong Kong)
- 2015: AIA Life Korea (Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia)
- 2015: K-Pop Concert (Yangon, Myanmar)
- 2015: Unite the Mic (Toronto, Canada)
- 2015: Korean Music Festival (Buenos Aires, Argentina)
- 2015: Korean Music Festival (São Paulo, Brazil)
- 2015: Jinusean Concert (Special Guest)
- 2015: Mnet Asian Music Awards (Hong Kong)
- 2016: Seoul Music Awards
- 2016: Ediya Music Festival
- 2016: JTN Summer Festival
- 2016: Suwon Kpop Super Concert
- 2016: Dynamic Duo Concert (Special Guest)
- 2016: Ailee × Yoon Min Soo Concert
- 2016: Celltrion Skincure Big Concert
- 2016: MBN Hero Concert
- 2016: Gwang Myeong Speedom Love Concert
- 2017: Asia Pop Fest (Melbourne, Australia)
- 2016: KCON (Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates)
- 2016: KCON (New York, USA)
|2012||Dream High Season 2||Ailee|
|2011–2017||Immortal Songs 2||KBS2||Contestant|
|2012||Beatle Code 2||MNET||Guest|
|Generation Sympathy Saturday||KBS||Guest|
|Patti Kim Show||JTBC||Guest|
|2013–2014||Great Marriage||JTBC||Main Cast|
|2013||Beauty and the Beast (Lunar New Year's Special)||KBS||Guest|
|Generation Sympathy Saturday||KBS||Guest|
|Crisis Escape No.1||KBS||Guest|
|1 vs 100||KBS||Guest|
|Live Information (Star Date)||KBS||Guest|
|Weekly Idol||MBC Every1||Guest, episode 76|
|On Style Lee Hyori Unni||Special Guest for Spica|
|Hello Counselor||KBS||Guest, Ep.109|
|2014||Real Men||MBC||Surprise Guest, Ep.43|
|How to Eat and Live Well||SBS||EP.41–42|
|Laws of the City||SBS||Series regular|
|MBC Music Ailee's Vitamin||MBC||Main Cast|
|Hello Counselor||KBS||Guest, Ep.156, 190|
|Running Man||SBS||Guest, episode 211–212 (team up with Gary)|
|Tray Song Relay||KBS2||Guest|
|Star King||SBS||Guest, Ep.353, 373, 392, 394|
|One Fine Day||MBC||Season Regular|
|Cool Kiz on the Block||KBS||Surprise Guest, Singing National Anthem. Ep.61|
|After School Club||Arirang TV||Guest, Ep.40, 105|
|Superstar K6||MNET||Guest, Judge|
|2015||Superstar K7||MNET||Guest, Judge|
|Jung Yongwha's Hologram||MNET||Guest, EP. 1–2|
|You Hee-yeol's Sketchbook||KBS2||Ep.264, Guest with Amber, Ep.292|
|Seventeen project||MBC Music||Special Guest, Ep 4|
|I Can See Your Voice||MNET||Guest Ep.11|
|After School Club||Arirang TV||Guest, Ep.181|
|King of Mask Singer||MBC||Contestant, Ep.7–8|
|Healing Camp, Aren't You Happy||SBS||Guest, Ep.215|
|2016||Two Yoo Project Sugar Man||JTBC||Guest (Contestant), Ep.19|
|Hello Counselor||KBS||Video Call Surprise Guest, Ep.268|
|Duet Song Festival||MBC||Contestant, Ep.3, 25–26|
|Fantastic Duo||SBS||Contestant, Ep.5–6|
|Superstar K 2016 (K8)||MNET||Judge|
|After School Club||Arirang TV||Guest, Ep.233|
|You Hee-yeol's Sketchbook||KBS2||Guest, Ep.337|
|2017||One Night Food Trip (Season 2)||O'live & tvN||Cast Member, Ep.6–8|
|You Hee-yeol's Sketchbook||KBS2||Guest, Ep.355|
|Fantastic Duo||SBS||Contestant, Ep. TBA|
Awards and nominations
- "Ailee To Make Her U.S. Debut Under A New Stage Name". Soompi. Retrieved 8 February 2017.
- "YMC Entertainment Official Website".
- "Korean Entertainment News". HanCinema. Retrieved 8 October 2015.
- "YMC Entertainment Official Website". Retrieved 7 October 2015.
- "Ailee: The K-pop and YouTube sensation". Korea Joongang Daily. Retrieved 9 June 2016.
- "Wheesung unveils 'They Are Coming', final mini-album before enlistment | allkpop.com". www.allkpop.com. Retrieved 8 October 2015.
- "Jay Park, Art of Movement, Johnnyphlo, Decipher & more to perform at Rutgers University!". allkpop. Retrieved 31 December 2012.
- "Wheesung and Trainee Ailee Wow the Audience". Soompi. 16 September 2011. Retrieved 8 March 2012.
- "Ailee releases "Heaven" MV teaser feat. B2ST's Kikwang". Allkpop. 6 February 2012. Retrieved 6 February 2012.
- "Ailee releases "Heaven" MV teaser". Soompi. 8 February 2012. Retrieved 8 March 2012.
- "Lee Ki Kwang appears on Ailee's "Heaven" music video". Soompi. 7 February 2012. Retrieved 8 March 2012.
- "Ailee makes an angelic debut with "Heaven" on 'M! Countdown'!". Allkpop. 9 February 2012. Retrieved 9 February 2012.
- "Ailee Makes Debut Inkigayo Performance". Soompi. 12 February 2012. Retrieved 8 March 2012.
- "Rookie singer Ailee wins two titles from Cyworld Music Awards". Allkpop. 2 March 2012. Retrieved 17 October 2012.
- "John Park & Ailee make their first appearance on 'Immortal Song 2′". Allkpop. 24 March 2012. Retrieved 17 October 2012.
- "Ailee claims victory on Immortal Song 2". Allkpop. 19 May 2012. Retrieved 17 October 2012.
- "Ailee claims victory + cast of 'Immortal Song 2′ cover the greatest hits by composer Yoon Il Sang". Allkpop. 30 June 2012. Retrieved 17 October 2012.
- "Super Junior's Ryeowook and Ailee to exit 'Immortal Song 2′". Allkpop. 13 August 2012. Retrieved 17 October 2012.
- "Super Junior's Ryeowook and Soloist Ailee to Leave 'Immortal Song 2'". Kpopstarz. 13 August 2012. Retrieved 13 August 2012.
- "JAY PARK TV - EP 03". Jay Park. Retrieved 26 September 2012.
- "ABU TV Song Festival 2012 Participants". ESCKAZ.com. Retrieved 17 August 2012.
- "ABU TV Song Festival 2012". Asia-Pacific Broadcasting Union. Retrieved 17 August 2012.
- "Ailee releases "I'll Show You" MV (ft. MBLAQ's G.O) + 'Invitation' mini album". Allkpop. 15 October 2012. Retrieved 17 October 2012.
- "Naver News". 3 July 2012. Retrieved 3 July 2012.
- "Ailee Comes Back with Album 'Invitation'". kpopstarz. 16 October 2012. Retrieved 17 October 2012.
- "Ailee comes back with "I'll Show You" on 'M! Countdown'". Allkpop. 18 October 2012. Retrieved 23 October 2012.
- Nate News, 에일리가 돌아온다! 12일 새 앨범 발표 4 July 2013. Retrieved 10 July 2013. Language, Korean.
- Nate News, 에일리, 신곡 '유앤아이(U&I)' 티저 영상 공개 '컴백 신호탄' 5 July 2013. Retrieved 10 July 2013. Language, Korean.
- "Demand for Ailee's New Album "A's Doll House" Is High". Soompi. 17 July 2013. Retrieved 20 February 2015.
- "Check out an all new PV for the Japanese version of Ailee's 'Heaven' | allkpop.com". Retrieved 4 October 2015.
- "Ailee to hold a showcase in Japan this October | allkpop.com". Retrieved 4 October 2015.
- "Ailee to take it 'Higher' with collaboration featuring pianist Yiruma | allkpop.com". Retrieved 4 October 2015.
- "Ailee takes you 'Higher' with collaboration featuring pianist Yiruma | allkpop.com". Retrieved 4 October 2015.
- "Ailee Releases Comeback Teaser for "Singing Got Better"". Soompi. Retrieved 4 October 2015.
- "Ailee asserts her 'Singing Got Better' in new song produced by Wheesung! | allkpop.com". Retrieved 4 October 2015.
- "Ailee sweeps 7 charts with 'Singing Got Better' + fellow singers show support | allkpop.com". Retrieved 4 October 2015.
- "Ailee Reveals Seductive Choreography for New Track "Johnny"". Soompi. Retrieved 4 October 2015.
- "Ailee's Killer 1st Solo Concert - Raps with Cheetah". Retrieved 4 October 2015.
- "An Interview with the Versatile Ailee and Thoughts on Her Desert Concert". Retrieved 17 November 2015.
- "Ailee To Team Up With Seventeen Members In Collaborative Single". Soompi. Retrieved 4 December 2015.
- "YMC Entertainment on Twitter". Retrieved 2016-10-04.
- "네이버 뮤직 :: A New Empire - 에일리". Retrieved 2016-10-04.
- "YMC Entertainment on Twitter". Retrieved 2016-10-04.
- YMCent (2016-10-04), [MV] 에일리 (Ailee) _ Home (Feat. 윤미래), retrieved 2016-10-04
- "[BREAKING] [NSFW] Purported pre debut nude photos of Ailee leaked". allkpop.com. 10 November 2013. Retrieved 10 November 2013.
- "에일리측 "유출사진, 본인맞다…유포 법적대응"(전문)" (in Korean). nate.com. 11 November 2013. Retrieved 11 November 2013.
- ""누드유출 에일리, 4년전 美경찰에 수사요청"… 현지 경찰 수사기록 확인 보도" (in Korean). naver.com. 24 November 2013. Retrieved 24 November 2013.
- 연예뉴스팀 (15 November 2013). "에일리 광고사진 '정당한 처사 VS 그래도 너무하네' 갑론을박" (in Korean). nate.com. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ailee.|
|Awards and achievements|
|14th Mnet Asian Music Awards - Best New Female Artist Solo
|16th Mnet Asian Music Awards - Best Vocal Performance Female
2013 - 2016