Daum (web portal)
Type of site
|Alexa rank|| 147 (Global, January 2020)|
4 (South Korea, January 2020)
Daum (Korean: 다음) is a South Korean web portal. It offers many Internet services to web users, including a popular free web-based e-mail, messaging service, forums, shopping, news and webtoon service. The word "daum" means "next", but it can also be interpreted as Hanja "多音", meaning "many sounds".
The popularity of Daum stems from the range of services it offers, but also from the fact that it was the first Korean web portal of significant size. Its popularity started when it merged with the then most popular e-mail service, daum.net or hanmail.net. After the merging, Daum started the forum service Daum Cafe which brought its firm status in the market. The term cafe and even internet cafe (Different from what is supposed to refer to in Western usage) is now used as the synonym for "Internet forum" in Korean.
On August 2, 2004 Daum announced the purchase of Lycos for $95.4 million, and closed the transaction on October 6. As part of a corporate restructuring to focus on mobile, social networks and location-based services, Daum sold Lycos for $36 million in August 2010 to Ybrant Digital, an internet marketing company based in Hyderabad, India.
The company also develops and distributes the freeware media player PotPlayer. In addition to its freeware media player (Daum tvPot), Daum Communications Corp. provides variety of services such as clouding service (Daum Cloud), Daum Dictionary (applicable on mobile devices), Daum Comics, and map service (Daum Maps).
Daum has about 874 employees as of March, 2009 and is the 2nd largest web portal service provider in South Korea in terms of daily visits. 
- "Daum Corporate Identity info page". Archived from the original on 2014-03-28. Retrieved 2014-05-07.
- "Korean Daum Acquires Lycos U.S." Lycos. 2004-10-06. Archived from the original on 2007-02-28. Retrieved 2007-01-25.
- "Ybrant Digital Buys Lycos for $36 Million". Retrieved 2011-03-07.
- In 2008, Google Korea acquired 'Tatter and Company':"Google Buys South Korean Blog Company TNC". InformationWeek. 2008-10-12.
- "NHN, 포털 1위 쉽게 내주지 않을 것-교보". 이데일리 (in Korean). 2009-06-03. Retrieved 2020-04-03.
- Shu, Catherine. "Kakao And Daum To Merge, Creating One Of South Korea's Largest Internet Companies".
- "London Blue, April 2019 Update, UK-Based Multinational Gang Evolves Their Tactics, Targeting Asian Users and Spoofing Email Addresses" (PDF). Agari Data, Inc.
- "Top CFOs are being targeted by a sophisticated email scam". CNN.}}
- "'London Blue' hacker group targets chief financial officers". Financial Times.