Israeli–Mexican relations refers to the diplomatic relations between Israel and Mexico. Both nations are members of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, United Nations and the World Trade Organization.
During the Partition of Palestine in November 1947, Mexico was one of ten countries to abstain from voting on the partition. Mexico recognized Israel in January 1950 and both nations established diplomatic relations on 1 July 1952. Since then, both nations have opened embassies in each other's countries, respectively, with Mexico opening its embassy in Tel-Aviv in 1959.
Today, relations between both nations mainly are based on international cooperation at the United Nations and mutual respect for each other. Over the years, Mexico and Israel have increased military cooperation between each other. In 2008, Mexico purchased $210 million USD of Israeli military equipment. There are also several cultural and touristic interchanges between both nations. In 2013, Mexican citizens were one of the biggest visitors to Israel for tourism and religious purposes. In 2012, both nations celebrated their 60th anniversary of establishing diplomatic relations. In October 2013, the Mexican Congress installed a section in their building dedicated to 'Mexico-Israel Friendship'.
Presidential visits from Israel to Mexico
Presidential visits from Mexico to Israel
-In March 2013, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu postponed a state visit to Mexico because of a strike at the Israeli foreign ministry. No sitting Israeli Prime Minister has ever visited Mexico.
On 6 March 2000, both nations signed a free trade agreement. In 2014, two-way trade between both nations amounted to $776 million USD. Israel is Mexico's 42nd biggest trading partner globally and biggest trading partner in the Middle East. Mexico's exports to Israel include: crude oil, automobiles, refrigerators and fruit. Israel's main exports to Mexico include: chemical based products, electronics and medicine.
Resident diplomatic missions
- UN vote on Partition of Palestine
- International Recognition of Israel
- 60º aniversario del establecimiento de relaciones diplomaticas entre Mexico e Israel (Spanish)
- CNN: El Ejército, en la mira... de las Pymes (in Spanish)
- Christian tourism to Israel 2013
- 60th Anniversary of Diplomatic relations between Mexico and Israel
- Grupo de Amistad México Israel es instalado en la Cámara de Diputados (in Spanish)
- Bilateral relations between Mexico and Israel (in Spanish)
- Netanyahu forced to cancel historic Latin America visit due to Foreign Ministry strike
- Israel and Mexico Sign Free Trade Agreement
- Mexican Ministry of the Economy: Israel (in Spanish)
- Israel and Mexico mark 60 years of diplomatic relations
- ProMexico: Síntesis de la Relación Comercial México–Israel (Spanish)
- Embassy of Israel in Mexico City (in Hebrew and Spanish)
- Embassy of Mexico in Tel-Aviv (in English and Spanish)
- Mexican Ministry of Foreign Affairs on bilateral relations with Israel (in Spanish)
- México-Israel: análisis de la relación bilateral (Spanish)