Clockwise from top: Meadows, Koderma Civil Court, Koderma Junction,Famous Keshariya Kalakand(sweets) in Koderma
|Named for||Kadram rishi|
|Elevation||397 m (1,302 ft)|
|• Official||Hindi, Santali|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
Kodarma (also spelled as Koderma) is a city and a notified area in Koderma district in the Indian state of Jharkhand. The district is bound on the north by the Nawada district of Bihar, on the south by Hazaribagh district of Jharkhand, on the east by Giridih district of Jharkhand and on the west by the Gaya district of Bihar.
This section does not cite any sources. (October 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Koderma district lies in the Chhotanagpur Plateau at 397 m (1,302 ft) above the sea level. The area exhibits undulating topography comprising hills, hillocks, plains and mounds. Northern part of the district is occupied by Koderma Reserve Forest. The highest peak is Debour Ghati (677 m) which is the boundary of Jharkhand and Bihar states. The section line from south to north from Jharkhand to Bihar passes through Hazaribag plateau. The rocks at the edge of this plateau have been cut deeply by innumerable streams. There are a number of rills and gullies of various type such as figure or shoe-lace gullies. Barakar River flows from west to east in the southern part of the district and supports Tilaiya Hydel project, a multipurpose dam constructed on it. Poanchkhara, Keso, Akto, Gurio, Gukhana Nadi are the main tributaries of the Barakar river. Sakri river is the main river in the northern part of the district which flows from south east to northwest. Ghggnna Naddi, Chhotanari Nadi are the tributaries of Sakri river. Mahua, Banyan, Sakhua, Palash, Peepal, Neem, Khajoor, Bamboo are the flora of the area. Fauna such as leopard, bear, pig, deer and hare are found in the forest area of Koderma Reserve forest. Koderma is surrounded by forests and many natural resources, Dhawajadhari Pahar (hill) that is dedicated to lord Shiva and on the Mahashivratri many devotees get together to worship.
At one time, Koderma was considered as the mica capital of India. During that time, the townships of Koderma and Jhumri Tilaiya had seen the rise of several mica tycoons. Now, it is a fast developing city in Jharkhand state. Koderma holds the world record in terms of holding largest deposits of Mica in the world.
As per 2011 Census of India, Kodarma Nagar Parishad had a total population of 24,633 of which 12,941 were males and 11,692 females. Scheduled Castes numbered 1,691 and Scheduled Tribes numbered 153.
As of 2001[update] India census, Kodarma had a population of 17,160. Males constitute 53% of the population and females 47%. Kodarma has an average literacy rate of 63%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 71%, and female literacy is 53%. In Kodarma, 17% of the population is under 6 years of age.
In the matter of education, Koderma has been thought a backward city but in recent times many people from this district have received national recognition as doctors, engineers and other professionals. Many renowned doctors, such as Dr JPN Barnwal, Dr Naresh Pandit, Dr Vikas Chandra, Dr S K Raj, Dr Arun Kumar, Dr Arun K Abodh, Dr HD Singh, Dr Akash Narayan, Dr Alok Narayan, Dr Ramesh kumar sharma, Dr Sagarmani Seth, Dr Ranjeet Barnwal and others work for the people of Koderma. Other such names are Sanjay Shukla, SB Prasad, Vijay Kumar, Santosh Manav, Sanjeev Sameer, Prof.Rajesh Singh.
There are a number of schools and degree colleges in Kodarma:
- PVSS DAV Public School
- Grizzly Vidyalaya, Telaiya Dam
- Grizzly College of Education, Gumo
- National Public Academy, Bypass Road
- National Public Academy, Chitragupta Nagar
- Saint Clare's School, Lokai, Koderma
- Basuakala Iti, Jhumari Telaiya, Koderma
- Jagannath Jain College, established in 1960 at Lakhi Baghi
- Ram Govind Institute of Technology,Engg College (Degree and Diploma),
- Jharkhand Vidhi Mahavidyalaya
- Koderma Industrial Training Centre, Koderma
- Jeevan Jyoti School, Lakhi Baghi
- Koderma High School, Koderm
- Project Girls High School, Koderma
- Adarsh Madhya Vidyalay, Telaiya
- Kanya Madhya Vidyalay
- Mahila Mahavidyalay, Koderma
- St.Xavier's Academy, Chandwara
- Capital University,
(Private University) Chitragupt Nagar,Jhumri Teliya
As per 2011 census the total number of literates in Kodarma Nagar Parishad was 16,645, out of which 9,647 were males and 6,998 were females.
Koderma Junction is on the Grand Chord railway line of East Central Railway connecting Calcutta and Delhi via Dhanbad. The railway station is actually located in adjacent Jhumri Tilaiya town and not in Koderma town which is some distance away (9 km). Koderma is having its own railway station with the name of Koderma Town Station which connect KAWAR(Giridih) with Koderma Town.
Three new railway lines are being laid from Koderma railway station in three different directions:
- Koderma-Giridih 111 km long
- Koderma-Hazaribagh 79 km long (eventually to Ranchi railway junction, 200 km from Koderma via Barkakana Junction)
- Koderma-Tilaiya (Bihar)
The 85 km long railway line from Koderma to Kawar towards Giridih has been commissioned in August 2015 and a DMU passenger train has started running on this 86 km section. This has made Koderma a grand railway junction. In 2013 it was only commissioned to Nawadih station of Koderma district.
The railway line to Hazaribagh has been laid.It has started from 20 February 2015 onwards. One Passenger Train is running Hazaribagh Town to Koderma Station.Now this train is upgraded and runs between Koderma junction to Barkakana junction.
- Sadar Hospital,Koderma
- Jay Prakash Hospital ,Jhumri Telaiya, Koderma
- Hope Hospital ,Jhumri Telaiya, koderma
- Geeta clinic
- Jay prakash Hospital
- Green park
- shiv Guru Hospital
- subh labh clinic
Kodarma has many number of temples Mosque being build by businessmen, Among these few are:
- Shree Sankat Mochan Trust Mandir, Built by Late Shree Lal Khatuwala (http://khatuwalagroup.com/)
- Kali Mandir, Built by Samonta Family
- Dwajadhari Pahari Mandir
- Balaji Temple, Station road
- kaali mandap,koderma bazar
- Jama Masjid Asnabad Jhumri telaiya
- Mecca Masjid Jalwabad
- Madarsa Darus-salam Jalwabad
- Jama Masjid Janpur
The district also has a Goushala (http://kodermagoushala.com/) which was founded by Late Shree lal Khatuwala he being the chief donor
The main commercial hub or place where most of the business happens is station road & Jhanda chowk area(Jhumri Teliya),Gandhi Chowk in Koderma.There are two malls ,City Style(Near Purnima Talkies) and 1 India Family Mart(Near Samnta Petrol Pump). The town is growning and one of the first mall type premium commercial complex is coming in the name of "Devshree" by (http://mittaldevelopers.com/).Yuvraj Hotel is there at Doodhimati for Marriage stay.
- "2011 Census – Primary Census Abstract Data Tables". Jharkhand – District-wise. Registrar General and Census Commissioner, India. Retrieved 16 December 2015.
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- http://rgc.edu.in/rit/rit.php/ RIT Koderma
- http://www.jharkhandvidhi.org/ Jharkhand Vidhi Mahavidyalaya website
- http://www.capitaluniversity.edu.in/ Capital University
- "Banks in Kodarma". bankifsccodes.co.in. Retrieved 2014-05-04.
This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Blocks of Koderma district