This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2006) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|• Total||17.25 km2 (6.66 sq mi)|
|Elevation||208 m (682 ft)|
|• Density||5,300/km2 (14,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
Kot Kapura is a historic city some 50 km from Bathinda, 40 km from Moga and 30 km from Muktsar in the state of Punjab, India. It is the largest city in the Faridkot District and has a large cotton market. It takes around 15 minutes by bus from Faridkot, 4 hours by road from Chandigarh and 2.0 hours from Ludhiana, and 8 hours from New Delhi by train to reach the city. It is a central city on route to Ganganagar, Ludhiana, Bathinda, Firozpur, etc. Kot Kapura takes its name from its founder, Nawab Kapur Singh, and the word "Kot", meaning a small fort – literally the "fort of Kapura".
Bhallan, founder of the Faridkot principality, was an ardent follower of Guru Har Gobind, the 6th Sikh Guru. He helped Guru Har Gobind Ji in the Battle of Mehraj, but died issueless in 1643. He was succeeded by his nephew, Kapura, who founded the town of Kot Kapura in 1661. Nawab Kapura was the chaudhry of eighty-four villages. Guru Gobind Singh, the 10th Guru of the Sikhs, en route from Machhiwara, after staying at Dina and after short stopovers at various other places, reached Kot Kapura and asked Nawab Kapura Brar for his fort to fight the pursuing Mughal army. Kapura was a Sikh, but did not want to earn the ire of the Mughals by helping Guru Gobind Singh openly in his war with them; otherwise, the famous last battle of Muktsar (Khidrane Di Dhaab; now a historic town) between Guru Gobind Singh and the Mughal army would have been fought at Kot Kapura. However, Nawab refused the fort to the guru.
Kot Kapura today
Despite its natural environment, Kot Kapura, like many other small towns in India, is going through "modernization" as never before. Shastri Market or Maheshwari Street established by Bansi Dhar Maheshwari (1875-1935) is one of the most populous and largest markets in Punjab. Kot Kapura has also been called 'City of White Gold' due to its cotton market, which was once the largest cotton market in India. Now it has three PUDA approved modern residential colonies, namely Arvind Nagar, Baba Farid Enclave and CNS Enclave. Kotkapura, happens to be the first town/city in the whole of North of India, to have a NABH accredited Hospital (Brar Eye Hospital), and Dr. Rajan Heart Hospital, thus bringing to the list of cities with international level health care.
Kot Kapura was famous for its ever-closed railway crossing gate on the Kot Kapura–Muktsar highway. However, a flyover has saved the town from this notorious landmark. Important villages near Kot Kapura are Kothe Thhe Wale, Sandhwan, Dhilwan Kalan, Panjgraian Kalan, Ghanaian Wala, Hari Nau, Madhak, Khara, Matta, Romana Albel Singh,Bir Sikhanwala. Kotkapura is very famous for "Dhodha" (a special type of sweet). Another delicacy originating from this city is "Atta Chicken" which is famous all over the world and Atta Chicken was shown on Discovery channel in the show named 'Incredible India'.
- Dasmesh Public School, Partap Nagar, Kotkapura
- Dasmesh Global School, Anand Nagar, Kotkapura
- West Point School, Sandhwan Danewala Road, Kotkapura
- Sada Ram Bansal Senior Secondary School, Jaitu Road, Kotkapura
- Rishi Senior Secondary School, Kotkapura
- Gandhi Model Senior Secondary School, Kotkapura
- Pristine Vibe School, Hira Singh Nagar, Kotkapura
- Ashoka Model Sen. Sec. School, Kotkapura
- Sunrise Kids School, Faridkot Road, Kotkapura
- Kidzee Preschool, Near Sangam Palace, Faridkot Road, Kot Kapura
- Dreamland Public School, Sikhan Wala Road, Kotkapura
- Laxmi Model Middle School, Near Old Fort, Kotkapura
- Guru Nanak Mission Senior Secondary School, Kotkapura.
- Dr. Chanda Singh Marwah Govt. Sen. Sec. School (Girls)
- D.C.M International School, BahmanWala Road, Kotkapura
- D.A.V Public School, Sikhawala Road, Kotkapura
- Dr Hari SINGH Sewek Sen. Sec. School, Kotkapura
- Gandhi Memorial High School, Kotkapura
- Oxbridge World School, Kotkapura
- Bhardwaj High School, Kotkapura
- Fable Public School, Jaitu Road, Kotkapura
- Satnam public School, Dwareana road, Kotkapura
- Shaheed Bhagat Singh Govt. College, Bathinda Road, Kotkapura
- Malwa College of Nursing.
- Malwa Degree College.
- Malwa Group of Institutions.
- Madav Kirpa Public College.
- Baba Farid Medical Institute for Nursing.
- Baba Farid College of Nursing.
- Baba Saikh Farid School of Nursing.
- Akal Sahaye College of Education.
- Baba Farid Institute Private ITI.
- Gurukul College for Women.
- Gurukul School of Nursing.
- Govt. Polytechnic College.
- Malwa College of Education.
- Shri shyam mandir
- Durga Mandir.
- Gurdwara Godavari Sar Patshahi.
- Shiv Gufa Mandir.
- Shri Radha Krishna Mandir.
- Fort of Kot Kapura.
- Gurudwara Patshahi Dasvin [Historical Gurudwara: Guru Gobind Singh Ji visited this place].
- Baba Ramdev Mandir.
- Shri Guru Ravidas Mandir.