Latur railway station
This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Latur Railway Station
|Owned by||Indian Railways|
|Line(s)||Latur Road-Miraj line double track
|Connections||Central Bus Station, Taxi Stand|
|Zone(s)||Central Railway zone|
|Fare zone||Central Railway zone|
|Passengers (Daily)||25,000 (Approximately)|
|Latur ExpressSuper fast, passenger, Inter City Express.
Latur (Station Code: LUR) is an A-Category railway station in Central Railway zone which serves the city of Latur, Maharashtra. located on the Latur road junction – Miraj junction section of Solapur (SLP) Division of Central Railway (CR). Latur is well connected to Bangalore, Hyderabad, Pune, Ahmadabad, Gulbarga, Latur road, Mumbai, Lonavla, Nanded, Amravati, Nagpur, Kolhapur, Miraj, Nizamabad,.
- Latur–Mumbai Express
- Pune - Amravati Express
- Lokmanya Tilak Terminus - Hazur Sahib Nanded Express
- Hyderabad-Pune Express
- Panvel - Hazur Sahib Nanded Express
- Lokmanya Tilak Terminus - Bidar Express
- Nagpur - CSMT Kolhapur Express
- Latur–Mumbai Express
- Yesvantpur - Latur Express
In the past during Nizam's period, Latur railway was a Narrow-gauge but in 2007 work started to convert it to a Broad gauge in barsi light railway. In 2008, the entire Miraj Latur line was converted from narrow gauge to broad gauge.
For the first time in Maharashtra history, due to the draught the Latur city faced for three consecutive years, the summer of 2016 presented itself with extreme scarcity of water. To overcome this issue, a joint project was then requested by Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu and Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis. After further research, and many changes in plan, Miraj was chosen to transport water to Latur from 342 km away. The "Jaldoot" train made its first experimental run on 11 April 2016, carrying 10 tanker wagons, each filled with 50,000 liters of water. Over 250,000 liters of water were transported, and the program was and continues to be a success.
Line and location
The railway track in the Kurduwadi-Latur Road sector will be doubled at a cost of Rs. 700 crore. Indian Railways also has plans for extending the railway line from Latur Road to Bidhan which in turn will pave way for Latur to have direct connectivity to Nizamabad, warangal, Vishakapatnam, Adilabad many other cities of Telangana which are located in neighbouring state of Telangana.
The other stations that serve the city of Latur are
- Harangul Railway Station
- "Maharashtra drought: Latur to get water by train in 15 days". DNA India. 2016-04-07. Retrieved 2017-03-19.
- "Surveys for 19 new rail lines proposed in Interim Rail Budget". India TV News, 12 February 2014.
- "RAILWAY BUDGET: WHAT MAHARASHTRA GETS". Sakal Times, 2 May 2017.
- "Doubling of track:Faster rail services by 2016". The New Indian Express, 4 November 2011. Retrieved 3 December 2013.
- Latur railway station at the India Rail Info
|This article about a railway station in the Indian state of Maharashtra is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|