List of Presidents of the United States by occupation
This article is incomplete.(October 2017)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This is a list of the occupations of Presidents before they entered politics. Often, previous career experience is minimal; however, the most common previous occupation is lawyer, and many presidents did spend their younger years in college and/or the military.
|1||George Washington||Land surveyor, farmer/plantation owner, soldier (Commander-in-Chief of the Continental Army)|
|2||John Adams||Lawyer, farmer|
|3||Thomas Jefferson||Land surveyor, writer, inventor, lawyer, architect, farmer/plantation owner, diplomat, linguist, theologian|
|4||James Madison||Farmer/plantation owner|
|5||James Monroe||Farmer/plantation owner, lawyer|
|6||John Quincy Adams||Lawyer|
|7||Andrew Jackson||Soldier (Major General), lawyer|
|8||Martin Van Buren||Lawyer|
|11||James Polk||Lawyer, plantation owner|
|12||Zachary Taylor||Soldier (Army Major General)|
|15||James Buchanan||Lawyer, diplomat|
|16||Abraham Lincoln||Land surveyor, lawyer|
|17||Andrew Johnson||Soldier, tailor|
|18||Ulysses Grant||Soldier, General of the Army|
|20||James Garfield||School teacher, minister, soldier|
|21||Chester Arthur||School teacher, lawyer, collector of tariffs|
|22, 24||Grover Cleveland||Sheriff, lawyer, assistant teacher|
|23||Benjamin Harrison||Lawyer, journalist|
|25||William McKinley||Lawyer, soldier|
|26||Theodore Roosevelt||Public official, rancher, soldier|
|27||William Taft||Lawyer, judge, law reporter, dean of law school at the University of Cincinnati|
|28||Woodrow Wilson||Lawyer, professor, president of Princeton University|
|29||Warren Harding||Journalist, newspaper publisher/editor|
|30||Calvin Coolidge||Lawyer, public official, vice president of Northampton Savings Bank|
|31||Herbert Hoover||Engineer, investor|
|33||Harry Truman||Farmer, soldier, haberdasher|
|34||Dwight Eisenhower||Soldier (General of the Army), president of Columbia University|
|35||John F. Kennedy||Writer, sailor (Navy Lieutenant)|
|36||Lyndon Johnson||Teacher, Sailor (Navy Commander) public official|
|37||Richard Nixon||Lawyer, sailor (Navy Lieutenant Commander)|
|38||Gerald Ford||Football player, sailor (Navy Lieutenant Commander), lawyer|
|39||Jimmy Carter||Sailor (Navy Lieutenant), peanut farmer, writer|
|40||Ronald Reagan||Actor & broadcaster, President of the Screen Actors Guild|
|41||George H. W. Bush||Pilot (Navy Lieutenant, Junior Grade), businessman (oil), C.I.A. Director, ambassador to China.|
|42||Bill Clinton||Lawyer, law lecturer/teacher|
|43||George W. Bush||Pilot (Texas Air National Guard), businessman (oil, baseball)|
|44||Barack Obama||Community organizer, lawyer, professor (incorrectly referred to by some as a lecturer)|
|45||Donald Trump||Businessman, real estate developer, reality television host, television producer, investor, actor|
- International Law, US Power: The United States' Quest for Legal Security, p 10, Shirley V. Scott - 2012
- Heather Lehr Wagner; Walter Cronkite (1 January 2009). George Washington. Infobase Publishing. pp. 28–. ISBN 978-1-4381-0302-0.
- SD Homes Stock Video Footage Collections - Royalty Free by FootageHouse. Archived from the original on 27-6-2009.
-  Archived March 24, 2009, at the Wayback Machine.
- REAGAN, RONALD - The Museum of Broadcast Communications
-  Archived February 9, 2009, at the Wayback Machine.
- SparkNotes: Ronald Reagan: A Leading Man: 1946–1962
- School House to White House
-  Archived January 6, 2009, at the Wayback Machine.
- ESPN.com - Major League Baseball - Timeline: George W. Bush and Rangers Archived 2008-07-24 at the Wayback Machine.
- Washingtonpost.com: Bush Name Helps Fuel Oil Dealings
- FactCheck: Obama a Constitutional Law Professor?