List of United States federal executive orders
At the federal level of government in the United States, laws are made almost exclusively by legislation. Such legislation originates as an Act of Congress passed by the Congress of the United States (and its predecessor, the Continental Congress); such acts were either signed into law by the President or passed by Congress after a presidential veto.
However, legislation is not the only source of regulations which have the force of law. There is also judge-made common law and constitutional law. The President can issue executive orders pursuant to a grant of discretion from Congress, or under the inherent powers that office holds to deal with certain matters of foreign policy.
Many early executive orders were not recorded. The State Department began numbering executive orders in the early 20th century, starting retroactively from President Abraham Lincoln's Executive Order Establishing a Provisional Court in Louisiana issued in 1862.
- 1 Consolidated list by President
- 2 1800s
- 3 1900–1929
- 4 Herbert Hoover (1929–1933)
- 5 Franklin D. Roosevelt (1933–1945)
- 6 Harry S Truman (1945–1953)
- 7 Dwight D. Eisenhower (1953–1961)
- 8 John F. Kennedy (1961–1963)
- 9 Lyndon B. Johnson (1963–1969)
- 10 Richard Nixon (1969–1974)
- 11 Gerald R. Ford (1974–1977)
- 12 Jimmy Carter (1977–1981)
- 13 Ronald Reagan (1981–1989)
- 14 George H.W. Bush (1989–1993)
- 15 Bill Clinton (1993–2001)
- 16 George W. Bush (2001–2009)
- 17 Barack Obama (2009–present)
- 18 See also
- 19 References
- 20 External links
Consolidated list by President
|President||Total Orders||Order Number Range||Years in Office||Orders Per Year|
|John Quincy Adams||3||unnumbered||4||0.8|
|Martin van Buren||10||unnumbered||8||1.3|
|William Henry Harrison||0||0.08||0.0|
|James K. Polk||18||unnumbered||4||4.5|
|Ulysses S. Grant||217||unnumbered||8||27.1|
|Rutherford B. Hayes||92||unnumbered||4||23.0|
|Grover Cleveland - I||113||unnumbered||4||28.3|
|Grover Cleveland - II||140||unnumbered||4||35.0|
|William Howard Taft||724||4||181.0|
|Warren G. Harding||522||2.41||216.9|
|Herbert Hoover||968||5075 - 6070||4||242.0|
|Franklin D. Roosevelt||3,522||6071 - 9537||12.11||290.8|
|Harry S. Truman||907||9538 - 10431||7.77||116.7|
|Dwight D. Eisenhower||484||10432 - 10913||8||60.5|
|John F. Kennedy||214||10914 - 11127||2.84||75.4|
|Lyndon B. Johnson||325||11128 - 11451||5.16||62.9|
|Richard Nixon||346||11452 - 11797||5.56||62.3|
|Gerald R. Ford||169||11798 - 11966||2.45||69.1|
|Jimmy Carter||320||11967 - 12286||4||80.0|
|Ronald Reagan||381||12287 - 12667||8||47.6|
|George H. W. Bush||166||12668 - 12833||4||41.5|
|William J. Clinton||364||12834 - 13197||8||45.5|
|George W. Bush||291||13198 - 13488||8||36.4|
|Barack Obama||235||13489 - 13723...||7.5||31.3|
- 1836: Specie Circular - Required payment for public lands be in gold and silver specie
- 1863: Emancipation Proclamation - Changed the federal legal status of enslaved persons within the rebellious states to free.
- 1872: The Colville Indian Reservation is created. April 9, 1872
- 1901–1909: Executive Orders by President Theodore Roosevelt: Complete List of Executive Orders by President Theodore Roosevelt
- 1914: Executive Order 1888: Providing conditions of employment for the Permanent Force for the Panama Canal
- 1918: Executive Order 2859: National Research Council of the National Academy of Sciences
- 1927: Executive Order 4601: Authorization of the Distinguished Flying Cross 
Herbert Hoover (1929–1933)
EOs 5075–6070 
Franklin D. Roosevelt (1933–1945)
Administration of Franklin D. Roosevelt Executive Orders Disposition Tables
Harry S Truman (1945–1953)
Administration of Harry S Truman Executive Orders Disposition Tables
Dwight D. Eisenhower (1953–1961)
Administration of Dwight D. Eisenhower Executive Orders Disposition Tables
- 1953: Executive Order 10450: Charged the heads of federal agencies and the Office of Personnel Management, supported by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), with investigating federal employees to determine whether they posed security risks.
- 1954: Executive Order 10555: Establishing a Seal for the President's Committee on Employment of the Physically Handicapped
- 1959: Executive Order 10834: Defined the design of the flag of the United States
John F. Kennedy (1961–1963)
Administration of John F. Kennedy Executive Orders Disposition Tables
- 1961: Executive Order 10924: Established the Peace Corps.
- 1961: Executive Order 10925: Required government contractors to "take affirmative action" to ensure non-discriminatory employment practices. Created the Equal Employment Opportunities Commission
|Problems playing this file? See media help.|
- 1962: Executive Order 10988 recognizes the right of federal workers to join employee organizations and bargain collectively
- 1962: Executive Order 10990 reestablished the Federal Safety Council
- 1962: Executive Order 11051 was revoked by Executive Order 12148: Specifies the duties and responsibilities of the Office of Emergency Planning and gives authorization to put ALL executive orders into effect in times deemed to be of increased international tension, economic crisis, and/or financial crisis
- 1963: Executive Order 11110: Delegating the authority to issue silver certificates under the Agricultural Adjustment Act of May 12, 1933 to the Secretary of the Treasury
Lyndon B. Johnson (1963–1969)
Administration of Lyndon B. Johnson Executive Orders Disposition Tables
- 1963: Executive Order 11129: Decreed on November 29, 1963 that the NASA Launch Operations Center (LOC), including facilities on Merritt Island and Cape Canaveral, would be renamed the John F. Kennedy Space Center, NASA. That name change officially took effect on December 20, 1963
- 1964: Executive Order 11130: Created Warren Commission to investigate the assassination of president Kennedy
- 1965: Executive Order 11246: Prohibited discrimination in employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, or national origin
- 1966: Executive Order 11310: Assigned Emergency Preparedness Functions to the Attorney General
Richard Nixon (1969–1974)
Administration of Richard Nixon Executive Orders Disposition Tables
- 1969: Executive Order 11478: Prohibiting discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, handicap, or age in the competitive service of the federal civilian workforce, which includes civilians employed by the armed forces and by federal contractors and contractors performing under federally assisted construction contracts. Some categories were added by Executive Order 13087 in 1998 and Executive Order 13152 in 2000.
Gerald R. Ford (1974–1977)
- 1975: Executive Order 11850: Renunciation of certain uses in war of chemical herbicides and riot control agents.
- 1976: Executive Order 11905: Outlawed the use of political assassination.
- 1976: Executive Order 11921: Allows the Federal Emergency Preparedness Agency to develop plans to establish control over the mechanisms of production, distribution, energy sources, wages, salaries, credit, and the flow of money.
Jimmy Carter (1977–1981)
Administration of Jimmy Carter Executive Orders Disposition Tables
- 1978: Executive Order 12036: Reformed the Intelligence Community and further banned assassination.
- 1979: Executive Order 12148: Established the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)
- 1979: Executive Order 12170: Allows the freezing of all Iranian assets held within the United States
- 1979: Executive Order 12172: Iranian aliens delegation of entry into the United States
Ronald Reagan (1981–1989)
Administration of Ronald Reagan Executive Orders Disposition Tables EOs 12287–12667
- 1981: Executive Order 12333: Strengthened management of the United States Intelligence Community
- 1982: Executive Order 12372: Intergovernmental Review of federal programs
- 1987: Executive Order 12601: President's Commission on the HIV Epidemic
- 1988: Executive Order 12656: Assignment of Emergency Preparedness Responsibilities
- 1988: Executive Order 12631: Working Group on Financial Markets
- 1989: Executive Order 12667: Establishes procedure for access to Presidential Records. (Revoked by Executive Order 13233, November 1, 2001. Restored by Executive Order on January 21, 2009.)
George H.W. Bush (1989–1993)
Administration of George Bush Executive Orders Disposition Tables
Bill Clinton (1993–2001)
Administration of William J. Clinton Executive Orders Disposition Tables
George W. Bush (2001–2009)
Administration of George W. Bush Executive Orders Disposition Tables
Barack Obama (2009–present)
Administration of Barack Obama Executive Orders Disposition Tables
- Grand total per 2016-03-15.
- List of sources of law in the United States
- List of United States federal legislation
- National Security Directive
- "Executive Orders Disposition Tables Index". Archives.gov. Retrieved 2013-12-10.
- "Executive Orders". Presidency.ucsb.edu. 2013-07-20. Retrieved 2013-12-10.
- "Executive Orders". Office of the Federal Register. Retrieved 2015-09-13.
- "Chart of Presidents of the United States". www.jjmccullough.com. Retrieved 2016-06-15.
- "Featured Document: The Emancipation Proclamation". www.archives.gov. Retrieved 2016-01-05.
- "Complete Executive Orders by President Theodore Roosevelt".
- "Permanent Force for the Panama Canal".
- "National Academy of Sciences".
- "Distinguished Flying Cross Authorization".
- "Executive Orders Disposition Tables Index". National Archives and Records Administration (NARA). 2008-01-22.
- "Administration of Franklin D. Roosevelt Executive Orders Disposition Tables".
- "Administration of Harry S Truman Executive Orders Disposition Tables".
- "Administration of Dwight D. Eisenhower Executive Orders Disposition Tables".
- "Executive Order 10834--The flag of the United States".
- "Administration of John F. Kennedy Executive Orders Disposition Tables".
- "Administration of Lyndon B. Johnson Executive Orders Disposition Tables".
- "Administration of Richard Nixon Executive Orders Disposition Tables".
- "Executive Order 11478". Finduslaw.com. Retrieved 2013-12-10.
- U.S. policy on assassinations. CNN.com 4 November 2002. Accessed 15 July 2009.
- "Administration of Jimmy Carter Executive Orders Disposition Tables".
- "Administration of Ronald Reagan Executive Orders Disposition Tables".
- "Administration of George Bush Executive Orders Disposition Tables".
- "Administration of William J. Clinton Executive Orders Disposition Tables".
- "Administration of George W. Bush Executive Orders Disposition Tables".
- "Administration of Barack Obama Executive Orders Disposition Tables".
|Wikisource has original text related to this article:|
|Wikisource has original text related to this article:|
National Archives and Records Administration:
- Executive Orders
- Disposition Tables of Executive Orders
- Codification of Executive Orders
- About Executive Orders
- A list of Executive Orders related to national security, and their texts, can be found at:
- A list of Obama administration executive orders can be found at: