|Dual-listed public company|
|Traded as||LSE: MNDI|
FTSE 100 Component
|Industry||Packaging and Paper|
|Headquarters||Johannesburg, London, Vienna|
|Fred Phaswana and David Williams, (Joint Chairmen)|
Peter Oswald, (CEO)
|Products||Pulp, paper, containerboard, and packaging|
|Revenue||€7,481 million (2018)|
|€1,318 million (2018)|
|€866 million (2018)|
Number of employees
Mondi Group (made up of Mondi Limited and Mondi plc) is an international packaging and paper group employing around 26,000 people with around 100 production sites across more than 30 countries, predominantly in Europe, Russia, North America and South Africa. It is fully integrated across the packaging and paper value chain – from the growing of wood and the manufacturing of pulp and paper (packaging paper and uncoated fine paper), to the conversion of packaging papers into corrugated packaging, industrial bags, extrusion coatings and release liner. It has listings on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange and the London Stock Exchange and is a constituent of the FTSE 100 Index.
In 2000 the company increased its holdings in Neusiedler AG and Frantschach AG, both Austrian businesses, to 100% and 70% respectively. Also in 2000 it acquired Cofinec, a Polish business. It increased its holding in the Syktyvkar Mill in the Komi Republic to 90% in 2002. In 2004 it further increased its holdings in Frantschach AG, one of its Austrian businesses, to 100% and in Celuloza Świecie AG, another Polish business, to 71%.
On 2 July 2007 the company demerged from its former parent company Anglo American plc, and became a dual-listed company, with Mondi Limited listed on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange and Mondi plc listed on the London Stock Exchange.
In 2012 Mondi acquired Nordenia to extend its consumer packaging business.
In May 2017, Peter Oswald was appointed as new group chief executive officer.
Mondi Group is organised into the following global divisions: Fibre Packaging, Consumer Packaging and Uncoated Fine Paper. The Group manages forests and paper mills and also produces pulp, paper and plastic films, along with industrial and consumer packaging in both paper and flexible plastics.
In 2014 Mondi and WWF began a global partnership to strengthen environmental stewardship in the packaging and paper sector. In 2017 Mondi and WWF extended the partnership for three more years until 2020. In 2018 Mondi and WWF announced that Mondi had joined WWF Climate Savers and committed to reduce specific production-related greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions to 0.25 t CO2e/t production by 2050.
The company is a signatory and advocate of the Global Compact, a UN initiative for business committed to universally accepted principles in the areas of human rights, labour, environment and anti-corruption.
- "Preliminary Results 2018" (PDF). Mondi. Retrieved 4 March 2019.
- "About us". Mondi Group. Retrieved 4 March 2019.
- "60 yearsof service" (PDF). Tappsa. Retrieved 25 March 2016.
- "Mondi – History". mondigroup.com. Retrieved 20 August 2018.
- Anglo American to invest US $250 million in Russian paper mill Archived 15 March 2012 at the Wayback Machine PMD, 18 March 2002
- "Mondi demerger from Anglo American completed". Pulp & Paper International. 1 August 2007. Retrieved 4 March 2019.
- Mondi Buys Nordenia to Extend Consumer Packaging Business Bloomberg, 11 July 2012
- "Mondi appoints Peter Oswald as new chief". FT. 1 February 2017. Retrieved 1 March 2019.
- "Questor: buy Mondi – it's well placed to gain from e-commerce and the rise of 'green' packaging". The Telegraph. 2 September 2018. Retrieved 4 March 2019.
- "Mondi Group and WWF are working together in partnership". WWF. Retrieved 4 March 2019.
- "Mondi joins WWF's Climate Savers climate leadership programme". WWF. Retrieved 4 March 2019.
- "Mondi" (PDF). UN Global Compact. Retrieved 4 March 2019.
- UNEP Life Cycle Initiative Archived 28 March 2013 at the Wayback Machine