|Public limited company|
FTSE 100 Component
|Industry||Packaging and Paper|
|Headquarters||Johannesburg, London, Vienna|
Fred Phaswana and David Williams, (Joint Chairmen)|
Peter Oswald, (CEO)
|Products||Pulp, paper, containerboard, and packaging|
|Revenue||€7,096 million (2017)|
|€1,018 million (2017)|
|€714 million (2017)|
Number of employees
Mondi plc is an international packaging and paper group employing around 26,000 people with around 100 production sites across more than 30 countries, predominantly in Europe, Russia, North America and South Africa. It is fully integrated across the packaging and paper value chain – from the growing of wood and the manufacturing of pulp and paper (packaging paper and uncoated fine paper), to the conversion of packaging papers into corrugated packaging, industrial bags, extrusion coatings and release liner. It has listings on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange and the London Stock Exchange and is a constituent of the FTSE 100 Index.
In 2000 the company increased its holdings in Neusiedler AG and Frantschach AG, both Austrian businesses, to 100% and 70% respectively. Also in 2000 it acquired Cofinec, a Polish business. It increased its holding in the Syktyvkar Mill in the Komi Republic to 90% in 2002. In 2004 it further increased its holdings in Frantschach AG, one of its Austrian businesses, to 100% and in Celuloza Świecie AG, another Polish business, to 71%.
On 2 July 2007 the company demerged from its former parent company Anglo American plc, and became a dual-listed company, with a primary listing on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange and a premium listing on the London Stock Exchange.
In 2012 Mondi acquired Nordenia to extend its consumer packaging business.
In May 2017, Peter Oswald was appointed as new group chief executive officer.
In October 2017, Mondi Group was reorganised into four global divisions according to its business units: Packaging Paper, Fibre Packaging, Consumer Packaging and Uncoated Fine Paper. Prior to the reorganisation it was organised according to two regions: Europe & International and South Africa. The Group’s 2017 half yearly results state: “We believe that this reorganisation both streamlines the organisational structure and offers the potential to deliver further synergies.”
Mondi is vertically and horizontally integrated across the packaging and paper value chain. The Group manages forests and produces pulp, paper and plastic films, along with industrial and consumer packaging in both paper and flexible plastics. Mondi serves a variety of industries, including food and beverage, retail, construction, professional printers and office paper. Products include:
Pre-made bags and pouches, printed laminates and high-barrier films; packaging for the consumer industry
Innovative baby diapers, femine hygiene products, adult incontinence products and wipes
Release liners (silicone-coated and other types), for the adhesives industry
Protective barriers for packaging
Corrugated boxes and trays
Industrial bags for building materials and food
Film- and paper-based protective barriers
Kraft paper used in industrial packaging, retail shopping bags and food packaging
Paper grades used for valve and open mouth industrial bags used in the building, food, agricultural andchemical industries
Containerboard used in corrugated packaging including packaging certified for food contact.
In 2014 Mondi and WWF began a global partnership to strengthen environmental stewardship in the packaging and paper sector. In 2017 Mondi and WWF extended the partnership for three more years until 2020. In 2018 Mondi and WWF announced that Mondi had joined WWF Climate Savers and committed to reduce specific production-related greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions to 0.25 t CO2e/t production by 2050.
Mondi participates in the survey of Ethical Investment and is represented in the following indices: FTSE4Good Index, the JSE Socially Responsible Investment, the FTSE350 Carbon Disclosure Leadership Index and the FTSE350 Carbon Performance Leadership Index.
The company is a signatory and advocate of the Global Compact, a UN initiative for business committed to universally accepted principles in the areas of human rights, labor, environment and anti-corruption.
In its 2017 sustainability report Mondi Group states that its owned, leased and managed forests, which are located in Russia and South Africa,, were certified by the Forest Stewardship Council and that 71% of the wood the business used in its production was certified to either FSC™ or PEFC™ standard.
- "Facts about Mondi". www.mondigroup.com. Mondi Group.
- "Preliminary Results 2017" (PDF). Mondi. Retrieved 11 March 2018.
- "Integrated Report 2017" (PDF). www.mondigroup.com. Mondi Group.
- "60 yearsof service" (PDF). Tappsa. Retrieved 25 March 2016.
- "Mondi - History". mondigroup.com. Retrieved 20 August 2018.
- Anglo American to invest US $250 million in Russian paper mill PMD, 18 March 2002
- Mondi demerger from Anglo American completed PPI, August 2007
- Mondi Buys Nordenia to Extend Consumer Packaging Business Bloomberg, 11 July 2012
- "Directorate Change". www.mondigroup.com. Mondi Group.
- "Half-year results 2017". www.mondigroup.com. Mondi Group.
- "Company Brochure". www.mondigroup.com. Mondi Group.
- "Mondi and WWF strategic partnership". www.mondigroup.com. Mondi Group.
- "Mondi Group and WWF are working together in partnership". wwwf.panda.org. WWF.
- "Mondi joins WWF Climate Savers". www.mondigroup.com. Mondi Group.
- Further re Mondi offer for minority interest in Swiecie.”4-traders Mondi: 11 April 2012
- "Integrated report and financial statements 2017 - Mondi Group Limited". mondigroup.com.
- UN Global Compact
- "Mondi Group Sustainibility Report 2017" (PDF). www.mondigroup.com. Mondi Group.
- UNEP Life Cycle Initiative Archived 2013-03-28 at the Wayback Machine.