National Institute of Technology, Silchar
Motto in English
|May our education be brilliant and radiant|
|Type||Public engineering school|
|Chairperson||Prof. Sivaji Bandyopadhyay|
|Director||Prof. Sivaji Bandyopadhyay |
National Institute Of Technology Silchar (NIT Silchar) is one of the 31 NITs of India and was established in 1967 as a Regional Engineering College in Silchar. In 2002, it was upgraded to the status of National Institute of Technology and was declared as Institute of National Importance under the National Institutes of Technology Act, 2007.
The Regional Engineering College at Silchar (Assam) was founded in 1967 as a joint venture between the Government of India and the State Government of Assam to cater to the country's need for manpower in technology. RECs were jointly operated by the central government and the Assam state government.
The college was conferred with autonomy in financial and administrative matters[when?]. In 2002, the institution was granted Deemed University status and was renamed as the National Institute of Technology, Silchar. In 2007, through the NIT Bill, the Indian government declared the National Institutes of Technology as Institutes of National Importance.
NIT Silchar offers undergraduate and graduate programs in Engineering, Science and Humanities with 11 departments. The annual intake for the B.Tech. program is more than 632 (632 as of 2015)[update]. The institute also offers different post graduation programs in Engineering, Science and Management. The Institute also has a Kendriya Vidyalaya school up to Class XII. Now, the Kendriya Vidyalaya has got its own campus inside the institute. The Institute has its own kids school near to computer science building.
The institute awards B.Tech. degrees in all six disciplines under the engineering departments. Admission to these programs is through the JEE-Main. NITS follows the Reservation Policy declared by the Supreme Court of India, by which 27% of seats are reserved for Other Backward Classes (OBCs), 15% for Scheduled Castes (SCs), and 7.5% for Scheduled Tribes (STs).
The institute also accepts foreign nationals through scholarships awarded by the Government of India, and Non-Resident Indians through an independent scheme known as Direct Admission for Students Abroad (DASA).
In the four-year program of B.Tech, the first year instruction is common across all disciplines, in which students are taught the basic courses in Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Professional communication, Basics of Computer Programming, Basic Engineering Drawing, and Basic Mechanical Workshop.
The institute has received funding in a number of international and domestic research projects with academia and industry in the past few years. Faculty from the institute have received 4 international projects in 2019 under the SPARC program of MHRD  with University of Saarland, Germany, Dalhousie University, Canada, Queen's University, Canada and Goldsmiths, University of London, United Kingdom. The institute has also received projects with universities in France  and Finland . There are ongoing research projects with SERB, DST, DIT, MNRE, CSIR, BRNS, BARC, UGC, AICTE, MeitY, CPRI, under Govt. of India.
Technical and Cultural fests
The annual technical and management festival of NIT Silchar, Tecnoesis, is held every year in the month of October. It comprises various events like competitions, exhibits, coding rounds, hackathons, robotic events and talks from guest speakers from all over India.
The annual cultural fest of Incandescence (festival), is held every year in the month of February. Various artists, singers, celebs are invited from all over the country. It also comprises the Gliterati, the annual fashion show of NITS and ThunderMarch, a metal concert.
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Humanities and Social Sciences
- Management Studies
Students are admitted for the undergraduate courses through the JEE-Main conducted by National Testing Agency [NTA], . Admission to the M.Tech and PhD courses are primarily based on scores in the GATE exam, conducted by the IITs. Faculty from other institutes work as research scholars under Quality Improvement Program (QIP).
Under the constitution of the National Institutes of Technology Act 2007, the President of India is the Visitor to the institute. The authorities of the institute are the Board of Governors and the Senate. The Board is headed by the Chairperson, who is appointed by the Visitor. The Director, who is appointed by the Visitor, looks after the day-to-day running of the institute. The Board of Governors has nominees of the Central Government, the State Government, the NIT Council and the Institute Senate. NIT Silchar is the Mentor Institute of NIT Nagaland.
- The ABP News National Education Awards has decided to honour NIT Silchar, with the Outstanding Engineering Institute, East India.
- NIT Silchar has been given the award of best engineering college in eastern India by leading industry body ASSOCHAM in the National Education Excellence Awards 2014 and 2015.
- "First Statutes under NIT Act-2007 (Statute No. 17(15))" (PDF). NITS. Retrieved 2009-05-11.
- "The Director". NITS. Retrieved 2017-12-01.
- "About NIT Silchar". NITS. Archived from the original on 23 January 2013. Retrieved 7 January 2013.
- "Kendriya Vidyalaya in NIT Silchar". KV_NITS. Retrieved 2013-02-19.
- NITS Academics
- DASA Homepage
- SPARC Proposals
- CEFIPRA Project
- Project in 2019
- Annual Report Projects
- NIRF Ranking
- "Tecnoesis Website".
- "Gymkhana Activities". National Institute of Technology, Silchar. Retrieved 30 January 2019.
- "List of Departments in NIT Silchar". NITS. Archived from the original on 30 December 2013. Retrieved 28 December 2013.
- Quality Improvement Program (QIP)
- "Administration in NIT Silchar". NITS. Archived from the original on 23 January 2013. Retrieved 7 January 2013.
- "Organization Structure of NIT Silchar" (PDF). NITS. Archived from the original (PDF) on 14 December 2012. Retrieved 7 January 2013.
- Share on Twitter (2014-08-03). "NIT-Silchar bags excellence award by ASSOCHAM - Times of India". Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 2018-01-13.
Coordinates: 1.bhanu Prasad