National Institute of Technology, Silchar
|Motto||Sanskrit: तेजस्वि नावधीतमस्तू|
Motto in English
|May our education be brilliant and radiant|
|Director||Dr. N. V. Deshpande|
|Location||Silchar, Assam, India|
National Institute Of Technology Silchar (NIT Silchar) (Hindi: राष्ट्रीय प्रौद्योगिकी संस्थान, सिलचर) (Bengali: রাষ্ট্রীয় প্রযুক্তি প্রতিষ্ঠান, শিলচর) is one of the 30 NITs of India and was established in 1967 as a Regional Engineering College in Assam. In 2002 it was upgraded to the status of National Institute of Technology and was declared as Institute of National Importance under the National Institutes of Technology Act, 2007.
- 1 Location
- 2 History
- 3 Academics
- 4 Central Library
- 5 Facilities
- 6 Communications & Transport
- 7 Culture and student life
- 8 Admissions
- 9 Administration
- 10 Achievements
- 11 Gallery
- 12 References
- 13 External links
The institute is located at 24.75°N, 92.79°E by the Silchar-Hailakandi road, twelve kilometers from the city of Silchar in the state of Assam. The college lies in what is known as the education axis of Silchar, with the Silchar Medical College and Hospital and Assam University located on the same road.
The Regional Engineering College at Silchar was founded in 1967 as a joint venture between the Government of India and the State Government of Assam to cater to the country's need for manpower in technology. RECs were jointly operated by the central government and the state government.
The college was conferred with autonomy in financial and administrative matters[when?]. In 2002, the institution was granted Deemed University status with the approval of the UGC/AICTE and was renamed the National Institute of Technology, Silchar. In 2007, through the NIT Bill, the Indian government declared the national institutes of technology as "Institutes of National Importance, placing them at par with the Indian Institutes of Technology.
NIT Silchar offers undergraduate and graduate programs in Engineering, Science and Humanities with 1187 departments. The annual intake for the B.Tech. program is more than 500 (573 as of 2013)[update]. The College also has a Kendriya Vidyalaya school up to Class VIII functioning from a temporary building in Campus. Now, the Kendriya Vidyalaya has got its own campus inside the institute. The Institute has its own kids school near to computer science building. Since, the college has started offering management courses in various disciplines and as on 2014, the first batch of MBA students passed out of the college securing 100% placement.
- The ABP News National Education Awards has decided to honour NIT Silchar, with the Outstanding Engineering Institute, East India.
- NIT Silchar has been given the award of best engineering college in eastern India by leading industry body ASSOCHAM in the National Education Excellence Awards 2014.
- NIT Silchar got 9/9 grade in TEQIP project.There are only 3 NITs to achieve this.
- NIT Silchar received inspiring comments from the President of India.
|2||Computer Science and Engineering|
|3||Electronics and Communication Engineering|
|4||Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering|
|2||Humanities and Social Sciences|
The institute awards B.Tech. degrees in all six disciplines under the engineering departments. Admission to these programs is through the JEE-Main. NITS follows the Reservation Policy declared by the Supreme Court of India, by which 27% of seats are reserved for Other Backward Classes (OBCs), 15% for Scheduled Castes (SCs), and 7.5% for Scheduled Tribes (STs).
The institute also accepts foreign nationals through scholarships awarded by the Government of India, and Non-Resident Indians through an independent scheme known as Direct Admission for Students Abroad (DASA).
In the four-year program of B.Tech, the first year instruction is common across all disciplines, in which students are taught the basic courses in Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Professional communication, Basics of Computer Programming, Basic Engineering Drawing, and Basic Mechanical Workshop.
|4||Electronics & Communication Engineering||
|5||Computer Science and Engineering||
. The Institute has also started MBA program from 2012.
The Central Library, established in 1977, has around 85,000 documents as of 31 March 2012. The library has been fully computerized and automated with Libsys software and has implemented RFID and DVR technology for security purposes under a TEQIP grant, becoming the first library in the northeast region to implement RFID and DVR technology.
The institute has completed six projects, including E-learning projects "Virtual Classroom" and "Digital Library", sponsored by MHRD, India under the MODROB scheme, which enabled the library to digitalize old and rare books, manuscripts and documents.
Hostel and guest houses
NIT Silchar is a fully residential campus. There are eight hostels for boys and two hostels for girls, each equipped with LAN with high-speed Internet access. All hostels are under the care of a warden and Board of Hostel Management (BHM). Messes are run privately or by students themselves.
Most of the teachers and the staff members reside in the residential quarters provided by the institute. The Institute has two guest houses for catering to the need of visitors.
Students are allotted different hostels every year. The following is the list of all hostels:
|Hostel 2||Second Harmonic|
|Hostel 4||Fourth Frolic|
|Hostel 5||Penta Zeppelin|
|Hostel 7||L'Arc en Ciel|
|Hostel 1||Dei Gratia|
|Hostel 2||Rêve Maison|
The institute also provides three PG Hostels
- APJ Abdul Kalam Hostel
- CV Raman Hostel
- Bhupen Hazarika Hostel
The boys' hostel Octoregia is only available for first year students. Two more boys' hostels and a hostel for PhD scholars are under construction.
Bank and shopping complex
The institute has a State Bank of India branch inside the campus. There are two ATM's of SBI and PNB within the campus. The institute also has a co-operative market complex in the center of the campus catering to the daily needs of students.
The institute provides an ambulance and a dispensary/infirmary providing treatment to all students. The medical staff consists of 1 Senior Medical Officer, 1 Lady Medical Officer, 1 Pharmacist, 1 Nurse-cum-midwife and 3 Medical attendants. Silchar Medical College (SMC) is only a few kilometers away from the institute.
Communications & Transport
Communications between the college and Silchar town is mainly served by auto rickshaws. Auto rickshaws, which form the chief mode of transport in Silchar, can be shared or hired to shuttle between the college campus and the other parts of the town. It is about 20 minutes ride from the college to central Silchar. There is also the provision of halts at NIT campus for a few buses plying between Silchar and Guwahati, which is conveniently linked to the other parts of Assam. Till September, 2014, the Northeast Frontier Railway had been providing rail services between Lumding junction and Silchar, but with the termination of the metre gauge train services between the two stations, the Silchar-Lumding-Guwahati rail route is currently inoperative. However, the broad gauge rail service between Lumding junction and Silchar is soon to be commenced, which will certainly facilitate the journey between NIT Silchar and the other parts of the state.
Culture and student life
- Research Promotion Cell
- Civil Engineering Society (CES)
- Computer Science Society (CSS)
- Electrical Engineering Society (Electra)
- Mechanical Engineering Society (MES)
- Electronics and Communication Society (ECS)
- Instrumentation and Electronics Engineering Society (INSEES)
- ISTE Student Chapter
- IEEE Student Chapter
- SAE India Students' Chapter (SAE)
- Literary and Debating Club
- Photography Club
- Solar Energy Society of India Students' Chapter (SESI)
- Boating Club
- Robotics Club
- NIT Silchar Quiz Club
Student union body
The institute has an elected student body "Gymkhana" that takes responsibility for student welfare and extracurricular activities. The members are selected for various posts and work with the Dean of Students Welfare for the overall development of students.
Some of Gymkhana's activities include the technical festival "Tecnoesis" and cultural festival "Incandescence", which includes the rock music event "Thundermarch". It is also responsible for publishing the college magazine IGNITS and organizes regular quizzes, debates, freshers social and sports events.
Provisions have been made for extracurricular activities and games and sports on the hostels premises, in other locations and in the student activity center, which includes a stadium. Hostels are equipped with indoor games facilities such as Carom and table tennis. The Student Activity Center (SAC Building) is used as an indoor stadium. Two playgrounds each with capacity of 1000 spectators are used for outdoor games. Besides these, students, faculty and staff have facilities for lawn tennis, basketball, football and volleyball. Inter-hostel Carom, Chess, Cricket, Tennis, Kabaddi, Volleyball, Football and Badminton tournaments are conducted every year. The gymnasium center houses fitness and gym equipment.
Students are admitted for the undergraduate courses through the JEE-Main conducted by CBSE, New Delhi. Admission to the M.Tech and PhD courses are primarily based on scores in the GATE exam, conducted by the IITs. Faculty from other institutes work as research scholars under Quality Improvement Program (QIP).
Under the constitution of the National Institutes of Technology Act 2007, the President of India is the Visitor to the institute. The authorities of the institute are the Board of Governors and the Senate. The Board is headed by the Chairman, who is appointed by the Visitor. The Director, who is the secretary of the Board, looks after the day-to-day running of the institute. The Board of Governors has nominees of the Central Government, the State Government, the NIT Council and the Institute Senate.
- The institute has a 10 MW solar power plant, the second such institute to have its own power plant after NIT Pune.
- The 11th Centre for Development of Advanced Computing, (C-DAC) of India was established in NIT Silchar Campus (Inaugurated on 21-Feb-2014).
- The Central Library has achieved several honorable achievements
- First institute in North-East India to enforce library security by RFID and DVR
- The project on 'Solar Powered Wheelchair' (patent pending: 832/KOL/2013), completed by the students of NIT Silchar, Rohit Thakwani (Mechanical Engineering'2013), Rajarshi Choudhury (Electrical Engineering'2014) and Shubham Jain (Electronics and Communication Engineering'2014) has won the 'European Renewable Energy Research Centres Award 2013' and the 'Indian National Academy of Engineering Award 2013'
- NIT Silchar is the first NIT to own a boating club, and second to IIT Roorkee among notable Engineering colleges
- Central Library, NIT Silchar has entered into a collaborative MOU with University Library & Mortenson Centre for International Library Programme of University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, USA to create world class LIS facilities at NIT Silchar.
- A team from the NIT Silchar, which developed an industrial composite with self-healing properties, which can last longer got top honours in mechanical engineering.
- NIT Silchar achieved 100 percent placement for its first batch of master of business administration (MBA) students.
- "About NIT Silchar". NITS. Retrieved 2013-01-07.
- "Kendriya Vidyalaya in NIT Silchar". KV_NITS. Retrieved 2013-02-19.
- "List of Departments in NIT Silchar". NITS. Retrieved 2013-12-28.
- NITS Academics
- DASA Homepage
- Central Library, NIT Silchar
- What's New
- "Hostels in NIT Silchar". NITS. Retrieved 2013-01-07.
- "Facilities in NIT Silchar". NITS. Retrieved 2013-01-07.
- State Bank Of India, NIT Silchar
- Dean, Student Welfare, NIT Silchar
- Infirmary, NIT Silchar
- Silchar Medical College
- "MG services in hill section cancelled". assamtribune.com. Retrieved 2015-02-19.
- "Societies in NIT Silchar". NITS. Retrieved 2013-01-07.
- "Student's Gymkhana". NITS. Retrieved 2013-01-07.
- "Festivals in NIT Silchar". NITS. Retrieved 2013-01-07.
- "Activities in NIT Silchar". NITS. Retrieved 2013-01-07.
- Physical Facilities
- Quality Improvement Program (QIP)
- "Administration in NIT Silchar". NITS. Retrieved 2013-01-07.
- "Organization Structure of NIT Silchar" (PDF). NITS. Retrieved 2013-01-07.
- NIT Silchar Power Plant, TOI
- Central Library Achievements