Oaky River Dam and gorge
|State||New South Wales|
|IBRA||New England Tablelands|
|local government area||Armidale Dumaresq|
|Part of||Macleay River catchment|
|- right||Ponds Creek|
|Source||Round Mountain, Sonwy Range, Great Dividing Range|
|- location||below Point Lookout, near Ebor|
|- elevation||1,400 m (4,593 ft)|
|Mouth||confluence with the Chandler River|
|- location||near Jeogla|
|- elevation||277 m (909 ft)|
|Length||60 km (37 mi)|
|National park||Cathedral Rock NP, New England NP|
|Reservoir||Oaky River Dam|
Course and features
Oaky River rises on the southern slopes of Round Mountain, the highest peak of the Snowy Range, a spur of the Great Dividing Range south southwest of Ebor, and flows generally southwest, joined by one minor tributary before reaching its confluence with the Chandler River, southwest of Jeogla. The river descends 881 metres (2,890 ft) over its 51 kilometres (32 mi) course; rapidly descending into a deep gorge where it meets the Chandler River.
The river is impounded by Oaky River Dam, located approximately 40 kilometres (25 mi) from Armidale. At capacity, the dam covers around 42 hectares (100 acres) and holds 2,780 megalitres (98×106 cu ft) of water. A hydroelectric power station is located at the dam and the flow of water is used to generate electricity. The power station has five turbines that generate 12 megawatts (16,000 hp). Zihni Buzo OAM, an Albanian refugee and Harvard-educated civil engineer and the father of Australian playwright, Alex Buzo, was the leading engineer on the construction of the dam and hydroelectric scheme. This dam burst in February 2013 and is no longer viable.
- "Oaky River". Geographical Names Register (GNR) of NSW. Geographical Names Board of New South Wales. Retrieved 4 March 2013.
- "Map of Oaky River, NSW". Bonzle Digital Atlas of Australia. Retrieved 4 March 2013.
- "Trout and salmon fishing rules: Northern NSW Trout Waters". Fishing and aquaculture. NSW Primary Industries. Retrieved 26 February 2011.
- "About us". Wakefield Charolais. Retrieved 26 February 2011.
- "Search Australian Honours: BUZO, Zihni Jusuf". It's an Honour. Commonwealth of Australia. 26 January 1991. Retrieved 4 March 2013.
- Buzo, Emma (September 2009). "The Buzo family and Armidale: A rich history". Norm and Ahmed. The Alex Buzo Company. Retrieved 4 March 2013.
- Buzo, Zihni (c. 2000). "Albania to Australia" (Unpublished manuscript). National Library of Australia. Retrieved 4 March 2013.