|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Peelamedu is a suburb of the city of Coimbatore. It is a major commercial center, and one of the oldest residential parts of the city. P.K.Rajendran is the member of corporation (MC)(2011-2016).The growth of Peelamedu during the last decade can be cited due to the growth of the IT sector in Coimbatore. The rapid growth of Peelamedu as a commercial and residential hub could be attributed to its geographical advantage in terms of the connectivity to other parts of the city. It acts as an important hub connecting the rapidly growing business class Information Technology corridor. The Peelamedu area stretches from Nava India to the Coimbatore International Airport near SITRA, encompassing major educational institutions, hospitals and Industries.
Major textile and wetgrinder industries and a considerable number of foundries and motor / pump industries of the district are also located here. It is the educational hub of Coimbatore, with renowned Medical, Paramedical, Engineering, Arts & Science colleges and many famous schools situated here.
Peelamedu is also home to many major hospitals like PSG hospitals, Medical College Hospital, Aravind Eye hospital and the Kovai Medical Center and Hospital. It also houses the Coimbatore Tidel Park and the CODISSIA trade fair complex. The area also has many malls with the largest being the Fun Republic.
Avinashi road is maintained by the Highways and Minor Ports Department.. This 17-km stretch of road running diagonally across the city has become the hub of business for the city. Today, this road has turned out to be the most important arterial road in the city.
On November 11, 2011, Peelamedu celebrated the locality's 300th anniversary with special arrangement in schools and colleges and poojas in temples.
In the area, Temple like
- Periya Mariamman Temple
- Anjaneyar Temple (Avinashi road towards Gandhipuram)
- Meenakshi sundareswarar Temple
- Akilandeshwari Temple
Peelamedu is a center of education in Coimbatore
- Coimbatore Medical College
- PSG Institutions
- PSG Institute of Medical Sciences and Research
- PSG College of Technology
- Coimbatore Institute of Technology
- Government Polytechnic
- PSG College of Arts and Science
- Dr.GRD College of Science
- PSGR Krishnammal College for Women
- PGP Arts College
- Coimbatore Heart Foundation
- PSG Sarvajana Higher Secondary School
- Sri Gopal Naidu Higher Secondary School
- PSG CBSE School
- GRG Matriculation Higher Secondary School
- National Model Schools
- Shri K K Naidu Higher Secondary School
- Smt D Padmavathi Ammal School
- Geethanjali Matriculation Higher Secondary School
Others (outskirts of Peelamedu)
- Tidel Park
- South India Textile Research Association (SITRA).
- Suguna Kalyana Mandapam
- Kasthuri Srinivasan Art Gallery
- CODISSIA Trade Fair Complex(Coimbatore Trade Center)
- SURIYA Sweets (V.K.Road)
- Padmavati Cultural Centre