Coimbatore International Airport
Coimbatore International Airport
|Owner||Ministry of Civil Aviation|
|Operator||Airports Authority of India|
|Serves||Coimbatore Metropolitan Area|
|Location||Peelamedu, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, India|
|Elevation AMSL||400 m / 1,311 ft|
|Statistics (April 2021 – March 2022)|
Coimbatore International Airport (IATA: CJB, ICAO: VOCB) is the primary airport serving the industrial cities of Coimbatore and Tiruppur in Tamil Nadu, India. It is located in the neighbourhood of Peelamedu, about 10 km (6.2 mi) from the center of Coimbatore. It is the 18th-busiest airport in India for passengers handled, 17th-busiest for total aircraft movement and 15th-busiest for cargo handled. It is the second busiest airport in Tamil Nadu in terms of total passenger traffic after Chennai International Airport. The airport is served by five Indian and three foreign carriers providing direct connectivity to nine domestic and three international destinations.
The Prime Minister of India declared the government's intention to upgrade Coimbatore Airport to international status in a meeting with senior ministers on 6 June 2012 and the Union Cabinet granted it the status of international airport on 2 October 2012.
The airport has one runway, which was extended to 9,760 ft (2,970 m) from 8,500 ft (2,600 m) in order to accommodate larger aircraft. In 2008, the airport was expanded at a cost of ₹780 million (US$9.8 million) with 9 parking bays and Instrument Landing System (ILS). In 2010, new domestic and international divisions were added to the already existing common terminal.
The airport has a parking management system with a capacity to accommodate nearly 300 cars. There are two hangars in the airport; one provides housing for the planes of Coimbatore Flying Club, the other provides shelter for private carriers.
The Airports Authority of India (AAI) has proposed to construct a new domestic departure terminal building with swankier interiors on the eastern side of the airport. The terminal would be constructed in an area of 10,000 square feet (930 m2) with a cost of around Rs 125 crore. Tender process for environmental clearance has started for the construction of the new terminal building and associated works, such as the construction of new ATC Tower cum Technical Block and Admin Block.
The further proposed expansion of the airport includes extension of runway to 12,500 ft (3,800 m) to accommodate larger aircraft such as the Boeing 787 and construction of a parallel taxiway to the runway to minimize runway occupancy time and turnaround time of aircraft.
Airlines and destinations
The airport is located on Avinashi Road about 10 km (6.2 mi) from the central bus station. Frequent bus services are available from Gandhipuram central bus station and also from other auxiliary bus stations at Singanallur and Ukkadam. The airport is 11 km (6.8 mi) from the major railway station, Coimbatore Junction and the nearest rail stations are at Singanallur and Peelamedu. Cab services, call taxis and auto rickshaws provide 24 hours commuting services to the airport.
- On 13 December 1950, a Douglas DC-3 (registered VT-CFK) of Air India carrying 17 passengers and four crew from Bombay to Coimbatore, crashed into high ground near Kotagiri due to a navigational error, killing all on board.
- "Coimbatore Airport". airportsindia.in. Archived from the original on 8 July 2015. Retrieved 22 July 2015.
- "Annexure III - Passenger Data" (PDF). www.aai.aero. Retrieved 19 May 2021.
- "Annexure II - Aircraft Movement Data" (PDF). www.aai.aero. Retrieved 19 May 2021.
- "Annexure IV - Freight Movement Data" (PDF). www.aai.aero. Retrieved 19 May 2021.
- "Coimbatore Airport". airportsindia.org. Archived from the original on 4 August 2015. Retrieved 26 July 2015.
- "Prime Minister holds infrastructure meet, but Mukul Roy is missing". NDTV. 6 June 2012. Retrieved 13 June 2012.
Prime Minister said this year will see a series of new projects being commissioned, including international airports for Lucknow, Varanasi, Coimbatore, Trichy and Gaya
- "Cabinet grants international airport status to five airports". The Economic Times. New Delhi. 4 October 2012. Retrieved 4 October 2012.
- "Extended runway ready at Coimbatore Airport". The Hindu. 20 April 2008. Archived from the original on 23 April 2008. Retrieved 17 March 2016.
- "New aprons being built at Coimbatore airport".
- "Coimbatore airport to get a new look". The Hindu. 29 October 2007. Retrieved 26 July 2015.
- "New parking system at Coimbatore Airport". The Hindu. Chennai, India. 1 April 2011. Retrieved 26 July 2015.
- "New building for domestic departure to come up at city airport".
- "Airport Authority of India - Tenders".
- Palaniappan, V. S. (19 May 2012). "Airport land acquisition process under way". The Hindu. Chennai, India. Retrieved 26 July 2015.
- "Budget airline GoAir rebrands as Go First".
- "Flight Schedule". Go First. Retrieved 30 June 2021.
- "SpiceJet's Flights Schedule and Information for domestic and international flights".
- "Vistara to start flights from Coimbatore to Delhi, Mumbai, Bengaluru from May 20". www.thehindubusinessline.com. Retrieved 14 April 2022.
- "ASN Aircraft accident Douglas C-48C-DO (DC-3) VT-CFK". Aviation-safety.net. Archived from the original on 23 November 2015. Retrieved 13 September 2015.
Media related to Coimbatore International Airport at Wikimedia Commons