Salman, Crown Prince of Bahrain
|Deputy King of Bahrain
Crown Prince of Bahrain
Deputy Supreme Commander
First Deputy Prime Minister
21 October 1969 |
|Spouse||Hala bint D'aij Al Khalifa|
|Father||Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa|
|Mother||Sabika bint Ibrahim Al Khalifa|
His Royal Highness Prince Salman bin Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa, Deputy King, Crown Prince of Bahrain http://www.bna.bh/portal/en/news/752345 (Arabic: سلمان بن حمد آل خليفة, born 21 October 1969) is the heir apparent and First Deputy Prime Minister of the Kingdom of Bahrain. He is also the deputy Supreme Commander of the Bahrain Defense Force.
Early life and education
His Royal Highness Prince Salman is the eldest son of King Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa of Bahrain and his first wife, Her Royal Highness Princess Sabika bint Ebrahim Al Khalifa.
His Royal Highness Prince Salman completed his high school education at Bahrain School, and then went on to earn a BA degree in Political Science from the American University in Washington D.C. (1992), followed by a MPhil degree in History and philosophy of science from the Queens' College, University of Cambridge, England (1994).
His Royal Highness Prince Salman established the Crown Prince’s International Scholarship Programme in 1999  to guide Bahrain’s young people into the 21st century. Under the programme, the most able high school students from Bahrain are awarded scholarships to continue their higher education overseas, and return to productively contribute to the development of Bahrain. More than 140 students from across Bahrain's society have been awarded the scholarship, and have had the opportunity to study abroad - including the UK, US and France
Prior to assuming the duties of crown prince, His Royal Highness Prince Salman was vice-chairman of the Bahrain Centre for Studies and Research (BCSR) (1992–1995), undersecretary of defence at the Ministry of Defence (1995–1999), and chairman of the board of trustees of the BCSR (1995–1999).
His Royal Highness Prince Salman was sworn in as Crown Prince of the Kingdom of Bahrain on 9 March 1999 and held the post of commander-in-chief of the Bahrain Defence Force from 22 March 1999 to 6 January 2008.
On 24 February 2001, His Royal Highness Prince Salman was appointed as chairman of the committee for the implementation of the National Action Charter. The Charter was approved by over 98% in a referendum held in February 2001 and provided a comprehensive blueprint for Bahrain’s future development based on transparency, cooperation and popular participation. The committee proposed a number of laws to implement the National Charter, including laws on government procurements and freedom of the press.
On 3 March 2002, His Royal Highness Prince Salman was appointed chairman of the Economic Development Board, which is responsible for formulating and overseeing the Bahrain’s economic development strategy, and aims to attract foreign direct investment into Bahrain. His Royal Highness Prince Salman also chairs the following committees:
- Government Executive Committee
- Natural Resources and Economic Security Committee
- Higher Urban Planning Committee
On 6 January 2008, His Majesty king Hamad, issued a royal decree appointing His Royal Highness Prince Salman Salman as deputy supreme commander of the Bahrain defence force to oversee the management and implementation of public policy as well as military, administrative, economic and financial plans of the Bahrain defence force and the national guard.
In March 2013, His Royal Highness Prince Salman was appointed by His Majesty the King as First Deputy Prime Minister, charged with overseeing the on-going development of executive agencies and government institutions in the Kingdom.
Marriage and children
Prince Salman is married to Sheikha Hala bint D'aij Al Khalifa, who is the youngest daughter of Sheikh Duaij bin Khalifa Al Khalifa, the assistant undersecretary of the ministry of finance and national economy. Hala is honorary president of the information centre for women and children, and chair of the Bahrain society for mental retardation. They have two sons and two daughters:
- Isa bin Salman Al Khalifa, attended American University in Washington DC, and graduated in 2012.
- Mohammed bin Salman Al Khalifa (born 11 November 1991), educated at Bahrain School (Class of 2009). Graduated from the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst in 2011. He graduated from King's College London in 2015.
- Fatima – Al Dana bint Salman Al Khalifa
- Al Jude bint Salman Al Khalifa
Titles, styles and honors
The Crown Prince of Bahrain
|Reference style||His Royal Highness|
|Spoken style||Your Royal Highness|
Titles and styles
- 21 October 1969 – 9 March 1999: His Excellency Sheikh Salman bin Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa
- 9 March 1999 – 21 October 2009: His Highness Sheikh Salman bin Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa, Crown Prince of Bahrain
- 21 October 2009 – 11 March 2013: His Royal Highness Prince Salman bin Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa, Crown Prince of Bahrain
- 11 March 2013 – present: His Royal Highness Prince Salman bin Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa, Crown Prince of Bahrain, First Deputy Prime Minister to the Kingdom of Bahrain
His Royal Highness Prince Prince Salman was appointed as Heir Apparent and invested with the title of Crown Prince of Bahrain (with the style of "His Highness"), at the Rifa’a Palace, on 9 March 1999. He was raised to the personal title of Prince, with the style of "His Royal Highness", on 21 October 2009.
Honours and awards
His Royal Highness Prince Salman has been awarded a number of honours, these include:
- An honorary doctorate in conjunction with the Order of the Eagle Exemplar by the United States Sports Academy (USSA).
- Bahrain: Order of Sheikh Isa ibn Salman Al Khalifa (Wisam al-Shaikh ‘Isa bin Salman Al Khalifa), First Class
- Bahrain: Order of Ahmad the Conqueror (Wisam Ahmad al-Fateh), First Class
- Bahrain: Order of Bahrain (Wisam al-Bahrein), First Class
- Bahrain: Hawar Medal (Wisam al-Hawar), First Class
- Jordan: Grand Cordon of the Supreme Order of the Renaissance (Wisam al-Nahda)
- Kuwait: Order of the Liberation (Wisam al-Tahrir), First Class
- UAE: Collar of the Order of Etihad
|Ancestors of Salman, Crown Prince of Bahrain|
- Government: The Crown Prince – website of the Embassy of Bahrain to the US
- Crown Prince's International Scholarship Program (CPISP)
- Spotlight on the future – The official magazine of CPIS P
- "Local News » Crown Prince's son graduates from Sandhurst". Gulf Daily News. 16 April 2011. Retrieved 17 April 2013.
- Events & News: USBBC Host The Crown Prince of Bahrain – official website of the US-Bahrain Business Councel
Media related to Salman bin Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa at Wikimedia Commons