Sir Padampat Singhania University
This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (April 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Location||Udaipur, Rajasthan, India|
|Campus||Suburban, 101.6 acres (0.411 km2)|
|Colors||White and gold|
Sir Padampat Singhania University (SPSU) is a private, residential university located in Udaipur, India. The university was established by the J K Cement group of companies. The university is named after the founder of the J K Organisation.
The University came into existence through an Ordinance passed by the Government of Rajasthan in 2007 and which was subsequently made into the Sir Padampat Singhania University Act 2008. It was conceived as a boutique university which will not have more than a total of 1500 students.
SPSU, Udaipur has two constituent schools, namely the School of Engineering and the School of Management with both the schools offering Bachelors, Masters and Doctoral programmes.
The University has again been ranked as one of the top universities in the country by the NIRF 2017 put out by the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Govt. of India. This is the second year running that SPSU has been ranked according to the various parameters followed by NIRF.
Sir Padampat Singhania University (SPSU) has been ranked 95th in India and is one of the youngest institution to be so ranked. The Ministry of Human Resources Development, Government of India released the rankings of Category ‘A’ higher educational institutions of India. On the parameter of “Teaching Learning Resources”,
SPSU has been ranked 38th in India.The India Rankings 2016 conducted for the first time by MHRD involved NBA, UGC, AICTE, Thomson Reuters, Elsevier and INFLIBNET.
- 1 History
- 2 Campus
- 3 Organization
- 4 Academics
- 5 Student life
- 6 Events
- 7 References
- 8 External links
In 2005, the JK Cement Nimbahera Foundation envisaged the creation of a university in Rajasthan.
Sir Padampat Singhania School of Engineering was established in 2007 when the first group of engineering students were admitted into the B Tech programme. In 2007, the school was established as a recognized University, with the passing of the Sir Padampat Singhania University Ordinance 2007. This Ordinance was subsequently ratified as Sir Padampat Singhania University, Udaipur Act, 2008 (Act No. 4 of 2008) by the Legislative Assembly of the State of Rajasthan. SPSU is approved by UGC vide Notification No: F.9-8/2009(CPP-1) dated 13 April 2009 and is empowered to award degree as specified by the UGC under section 22 of the UGC Act, 1956".
The university is located on a 100-acre (40 ha) campus 30 kilometres (19 mi) east of Udaipur along National Highway 76. The campus is recognizable by its distinctive white buildings, topped with yellow accents, reflecting the university's colours.
The University is governed by a privately appointed 19-member Board of Management. The board includes representatives from international universities, multinational organizations and JK Cement. The university has two schools - the School of Engineering and the School of Management.
Following are details of Academic programs offered by SPSU:
Sir Padampat Singhania University admits students into its engineering and management programs via the SPSAT (Sir Padampat Singhania Admission Test) from last 2 years.
The university awards undergraduate and postgraduate degrees in engineering, and master's degrees in business administration.
Degrees awarded by the School of Engineering
- Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech) in the following streams of engineering:
- Computer Science and Engineering
- CSE - Internet of Things
- CSE - Cloud Technology and Information Security
- Civil Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Electronics and Communications Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Railway Transportation Engineering
- Mining Engineering
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D) in the following technical fields:
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
The School of Engineering offers an International master's degree Programme. This is a five-year program conducted by SPSU and the Asian Institute of Technology (AIT), Thailand. Under this program, students spend first four years at SPSU and the fifth year at AIT. Upon successful completion of the program, students are awarded a master's degree in engineering.
Degrees awarded by the School of Management
- Master of Business Administration (MBA)
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D) in the following specializations:
- Human Resources
- Information Technology
- Digital Marketing & e-Commerce
- Bachelor in Hotel Management
- BBA - Financial Services
The university has established academic collaborations and partnerships with the following institutions:
- Asian Institute of Technology, Thailand
- Association of International Accountants, UK
- Chiba University of Commerce Japan
- University of Gothenburg, Sweden
- University of Nebraska at Omaha, USA
- Mendel University Czech Republic
SPSU conducts student and faculty exchanges, guest lectures and student enrichment programs with these institutions.
The university has established partnerships with the following organizations to provide additional training and workshops for SPSU students and faculty:
- Parametric Technology Corporation
- Sun Microsystems
- Cisco Networking Academy by CISCO Systems Inc.
SPSU awards full one-year tuition waiver scholarships to the best-performing undergraduate student of each academic year. Additionally, the top students from each branch of study are granted partial one-year tuition waiver scholarships.
The University is also involved in providing consultancy to the industry. All the departments have expert faculties which benefits the nearby industry by their knowledge.
Student-run clubs include:
- Cyborg: Technical
- Electronics: Electronics club
- Concept: organizer's club which coordinates on-campus events and other activities.
- Arena: LAN gaming club.
- Atom: Table Tennis club.
- ASME: ASME, SPSU Student Section.
- Blast: Music club.
- Cluster: Volleyball club.
- Command: Programming club.
- EDC: Entrepreneurship Development Cell.
- Electronics: Electronics club
- Elements: Writers' club.
- Endurance: Competitive/ recruitment exams training club
- Energy: Football club.
- Grand Master: Chess club.
- Gyrate: Dance club.
- Hackerz: Computer security club. Coordinated by Mr. Prashant Rai.
- Magnitude: Theater club.
- Motion: Cricket club.
- Power: Kabaddi club.
- Snatchers: Basketball club.
- SAE India: Automotive and aerospace club; chapter of SAE International.
- Target: Badminton club.
- Track n Field: Track and field club.
The university also participates in the National Service Scheme (NSS) and maintains its own NSS cell.
Electronics club SPSU
Electronics club was established on 24 August 2011 with aim to students feels electronics and they have proved it, their project was published in Times Of India, Ahmedabad edition on 19 March 2012. Members of electronics club have visited Pyrotech Electronics pvt ltd to get the experience of how an entreprise works ? if they could design something new then how they can be an entrepreneur with the same. for more details go to the website of respective club site.
Cyborg - The Technical Cell
Cyborg is a student-run and IIT Bombay collaborated Technical cell started in September 2011 to help students learn new technologies inside college campus and become industry ready. Cyborg has provided the following services to its student members:
- Linux workshops conducted by Aman Jain (erstwhile student at SPSU) and certified by IIT Bombay
- Robotics classes, regulated by EI Systems, Noida
- Training and mentorship by faculties regarding technical projects
- Other activities including Quiz, Website designing/hosting, Technical Extempore etc.
Concern - The Mentorship Cell
Concern is a student-run mentoring cell designed to help students adjust to college and derive maximum benefit from their time at SPSU. Since start Concern is provided with the following services:
- Admissions counseling for prospective students
- Mentoring and counseling services for admitted students
- Anti-ragging activities to maintain a ragging-free environment on campus
- Mess activities, including menu selection, off-hour snack services, etc.
Panache is an annual event organized by SPSU students. It includes academic conferences and cultural events and is attended by academics, corporate leaders and university students from across the country.
FPGA World 2011
The university hosted the 8th FPGA World Conference in January 2011.
Diligent Design Content 2011
The university hosted the India chapter of the Diligent Design Contest in 2011.
The university conducts "Inspire" the science camp for school students in collaboration with Department of Science & Technology (DST), Govt. of India.
- "SPSU - Wisdom". Retrieved 2012-03-12.
- "SPSU - University Status". Retrieved 2012-03-12.
- "SPSU - About Us". Retrieved 2012-03-12.
- "UGC Act-1956" (PDF). mhrd.gov.in/. Secretary, University Grants Commission. Retrieved 1 February 2016.
- "Letter from UGC for Inclusion of University name in the List of Universities" (PDF). Retrieved 2011-07-15.
- "SPSU - Contacts". Retrieved 2012-03-12.
- "SPSU - Board". Retrieved 2012-03-12.
- "Academics - Sir Padampat Singhania University". Spsu.ac.in. Sir Padampat Singhania University. Retrieved 21 July 2015.
- "Sir Padampat Singhania University".
- "School Of Engineering - Ph.D Programmes". Retrieved 2012-03-12.
- "SPSU - International Masters Programme". Retrieved 2011-07-15.
- "School Of Management - MBA Programme". Retrieved 2011-07-15.
- "School Of Management - Ph.D Programmes". Retrieved 2011-07-15.
- "SPSU - Academic Collaborations". Retrieved 2011-07-15.
- "IBM's Center of Excellence at SPSU". Retrieved 2011-07-15.
- "Oracle signs MOU with SPSU". Retrieved 2011-07-15.
- "PTC Authorized Training Centre (Centre of Excellence)". Retrieved 2011-07-15.
- Jayashankar Menon (2010-06-17). "PTC Centre of Excellence at Sir Padampat Singhania University, Udaipur". Sulekha. Retrieved 2011-07-15.
- "Academic Initiative by Sun Microsystems at SPSU". Retrieved 2011-07-15.
- "Academic Initiative by CISCO Networking Academy at SPSU". Retrieved 2011-07-15.
- "SPSU - Scholarships". Retrieved 2011-07-15.
- "SPSU Clubs". www.spsu.ac.in. Retrieved 2017-05-04.
- "SPSU - Electronics". Retrieved 2011-12-24.
- "SPSU - Elements". Retrieved 2011-07-15.
- "SPSU - CYBORG". Retrieved 2011-09-27.
- "SPSU - Concern". Retrieved 2011-12-24.
- "Panache". Retrieved 2011-07-15.
- "TEDxSPSU". Retrieved 2011-07-15.
- "TEDxSPSU official page". Retrieved 2011-07-15.
- "FPGA World". Retrieved 2011-07-15.
- "DDC 2011". Retrieved 2011-07-15.