1962/1963 (age 52–53)
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
Stevie Starr (born 1962/1963) is a Scottish performance artist known for being a professional regurgitator. In his act, he swallows various items, such as coins, lightbulbs, balloons, nails, billiard balls, dry sugar and goldfish, and then regurgitates them. He has never described exactly how this is done, and the implausibility of some of his regurgitations have led some to believe that he is an illusionist. Although, during an appearance on Howard Stern's TV show in the 1990s, Starr was shown swallowing broken glass and other dangerous objects and carefully regurgitated most of it, then the camera followed him into a restroom where he stuck his finger down his throat and vomited up the last of it. Starr has appeared on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, Late Show with David Letterman, and Late Night with Jimmy Fallon. Starr has a busy international touring schedule for his longer solo act.
According to his live act and official biography, Starr grew up in a children's home in Glasgow. He claims to have developed his talent in order to hide money, shoplift sweets and perform his talent in class by swallowing chalk. Starr claims to be the world's only professional regurgitator, though similar acts do exist in modern and historical performance related to the geek show tradition.
Got Talent appearances
In 2010, Starr auditioned for the fourth series of Britain's Got Talent. He appeared on the 24 April 2010 episode, swallowing numbered coins and a billiard ball and then regurgitating them on demand and in order. Starr progressed to the semi-finals, during which he swallowed Amanda Holden's engagement ring, followed by a locked padlock and its key. He then regurgitated the padlock, which enclosed the engagement ring, followed by the key. Starr finished fourth in the public vote and so did not progress to the final. He then performed on the German version of the show, Das Supertalent. He placed third in the semi-finals and advanced to the final. In October 2011, he appeared on the Czech and Slovak version where he progressed to the final. In October 2013, Starr appeared on the Italian version and progressed to the semi-finals. In January 2015, he appeared on the French version: La France a un incroyable talent. In June 2015 he appeared as a contestant in Season 10 of America's Got Talent.
- "The mystery of the human regurgitator". BBC. 1 June 2010. Retrieved 2010-06-02.
- Stevie Starr at the Museum of Hoaxes blog
- Official bio
- "Semi-final 1". Britain's Got Talent. Series 4. 31 May 2010. ITV. ITV1.
- "TV talent act prompts complaints". BBC. 2 June 2010. Retrieved 2010-06-02.
- Allesschlucker Stevie Starr verblüfft in der dritten Castingshow, RTL. 3 October 2010 (German)
- "Remember The Regurgitator from Britain’s Got Talent 2010? He’s bringing it all back on the American version now…". metro.co.uk. Retrieved 4 June 2015.
- Official website
- A video of Stevie Starr's performance
- Steviestarr.com fan site
- Report about his performance at "DasSupertalent" (German)