2PM Go Crazy World Tour 2014, Rosemont Theatre, Chicago (Rosemont), Illinois, U.S.A
|Birth name||Ok Taek-yeon|
December 27, 1988 |
Busan, South Korea
|Revised Romanization||Ok Taek-yeon|
Ok Taec-yeon (Hangul: 옥택연; hanja: 玉澤演; born December 27, 1988), best known as Taecyeon, is a South Korean actor, rapper, singer and entrepreneur. He is a main rapper of the South Korean boy band 2PM. In 2010 Taecyeon debuted as an actor in the Korean drama Cinderella's Sister and went on to play a main character in the KBS drama Dream High.
- 1 Early life
- 2 Pre-debut
- 3 Music career
- 4 Solo activities
- 5 Army enlistment
- 6 Filmography
- 7 Discography
- 8 Awards and nominations
- 9 References
- 10 External links
Taecyeon was born in Busan, South Korea, but immigrated at the age of 10, with his parents and older sister Jihyen to Bedford, Massachusetts, a small town situated in the Greater Boston Area. Taecyeon lived there for seven years, attending Bedford High School where he was an active member of the Chess Club, Jazz Band, JV Soccer Team and National Honor Society, before returning to pursue his career in Korea. Taecyeon was educated at Gel In High School in Seoul and studied Business Administration at Dankook University. He is currently attending Korea University Graduate School of International Studies. He is fluent in English, Korean and Japanese. Being from Busan, Taecyeon is also familiar with the use of the Busan satoori (dialect), which he used in the KBS2 drama Wonderful Days.
It was his sister Jihyen who persuaded him to participate in a JYP Entertainment audition, whose promotion she had noticed when surfing on the Internet. After his reluctant agreement to participate, both headed for New York City on his 17th birthday. A week later he was chosen for the final 35 and got the call to go to Korea to go further in the competition. At first Taecyeon applied to become a model, but the judges suggested he try dancing and singing. Eventually he was named one of the dozen finalists (including his future bandmates Lee Junho and Hwang Chansung) to compete in the show Superstar Survival, but was the first contestant to leave the show.
In 2008 he took part in Mnet's Hot Blood Men which follows the extreme training of 13 trainees in order to become a member of the boy band One Day. One Day spawned two boy bands, 2AM and 2PM, the latter of which Taecyeon became a member of. Six months after Hot Blood was aired on TV 2PM debuted with their first single "10 Points out of 10 Points" ("10점 만점에 10점") from their first EP Hottest Time of the Day, but it wasn't until their second EP 2:00PM Time For Change that their success in the Korean music industry skyrocketed. So far 2PM has released five Korean studio albums, four Japanese studio albums, and one EP.
Taecyeon is featured in "Yes I'm In Love" by Bada on her fourth album and Baek Ji-young's 2009 song "내 귀에 캔디" (My Ear's Candy). He formerly hosted SBS's music show Inkigayo with Wooyoung, and was a permanent cast member on Family Outing 2 before it was cancelled.
In 2010 he made his acting debut in Korean Broadcasting System (KBS) drama series Cinderella's Sister alongside Moon Geun-young and Chun Jung-myung. His second drama is Dream High, in which he played the role of Jinguk. The drama premiered on January 3, 2011.
In September 2011 FujiTV announced that Taecyeon was going to become a regular on their Sunday drama Boku to Star no 99 Nichi, along with Japanese actor Nishijima Hidetoshi and South Korean actress Kim Tae Hee as the two main characters. This is his first regular role on a Japanese drama. The producer of the drama commented: “We needed someone who can be mysterious and make his presence felt by others at the same time. Outside of his role Taecyeon is a very polite and bright person, who always manages to create a cheerful atmosphere at the set. He is going to bring a breath of fresh air to the Japanese drama scene.” Taecyeon commented, “It’s my first role in a Japanese drama and I’m really happy to be able to work together with such a wonderful cast and such an amazing staff. I will exert myself to the best of my abilities in order to polish my acting as much as I can.” 
In February 2013, it was announced that Taecyeon would form an on-screen couple with Taiwanese actress Emma Wu, better as known as Gui Gui, in the Global Edition of the reality show We Got Married. The show premiered in April 2013 and the couple quickly gained popularity in China, Taiwan, Korea and Southeast Asia.
Blue Bears with Taecyeon
In early 2012, Taecyeon teamed up with his fellow Dankook University alumni students to produce a digital album.
The album, Blue Bears with Taecyeon, was performed live on 2012/02/24 at Dankook University for the matriculation ceremony.
The title song “Wings (날개)” was written and composed by Life Music and the Dankook University students, and featured personally penned rap lyrics written by Taecyeon. The second song, a remake of Lee Gwangjo's “A Night Like Tonight (오늘같은 밤)” was also included in the performance, complete with an original rap also written by Taecyeon himself.
Six Beautiful Days, Budokan (Solo Stage)
On 2012/05/25 Taecyeon performed "Kiss" and "After you've left me" for his solo stage. Both songs were written and composed by Taecyeon himself.
After the performance Taecyeon wrote on his Twitter: 여러분~ 제가 쓴 "Kiss"랑 "니가 날 떠난 후에" 어떠셨어요??ㅋㅋㅋ 처음으로 작곡한 곡들을 무대에서 공개했는데요~ 훗날 디싱이나 음반에 안들어간다고 하면 약속대로 공카에 올려드릴게요ㅋㅋㅋ
(Translation) @taeccool: Everyone, how did you like "Kiss" and "After you've left me", both written by me?? kkk Revealed self-composed songs on stage for the first time~ If they're not released as digital single or in a CD later on, just as promised, I'll upload them on the official cafe kkk 
자장가 for Hottest (Lullaby for Hottest)
On 2012/06/18 Taecyeon, composing as TY, uploaded a message on 2PM's Official Fan Cafe  with his newest self-composed song: 자장가 for Hottest. Taecyeon included the .mp3 as a free download for Hottest, asking them to like the song.
Taecyeon is known to draw large headed, long bodied cats that he has incorporated into his signatures and autographs. He, and fans, refer to the drawings as Okcats (옥캣). As a result of seeing knock-off Okcat shirts being produced in countries like Thailand, Taecyeon relayed through his Twitter, that he desired to produce his own line of Okcats.
Starting in 2011, in conjunction with 2PM's Japanese promotions, numerous fan-goods were created for Taecyeon's Okcat character. These included a noodle bowl, a bento box and a coin purse, all designed by Taecyeon himself.
During 2PM's "What Time Is It Now" tour, Taecyeon performed on stage with his back-up dancers all costumed as Okcats. For 2PM's "Yazoo" Fan Meeting in Japan (September 2013), Taecyeon himself dressed up in an Okcat costume.
On 2013/10/09 Taecyeon tweeted a photo of himself with a prototype of a stuffed Okcat plush doll stating that he would be releasing them soon.
On 2013/12/09 In advance of the release of his plush Okcat dolls Taecyeon announced the release of Official Okcat stickers/emoticons that will be used in conjunction with the KakaoTalk messaging service.
On 2013/17/09 A representative from JYPE revealed that the release of the emoticons on Kakao Talk would be just the first wave Okcat items. Taecyeon plans to release more items in October, 2013.
It was reported that Taecyeon's Okcat business generated one million USD revenues in 10 months. He's going to expand his business even more by going from producing 32 to 70 kinds of products by the end 2014.
The Okcat Live
On 2013/11/10 Taecyeon hosted a 30-minute press conference on ustream to introduce his "Okcat" brand to the public. The presentation, titled "The Okcat Live", took place at the COEX building with approx 50+ reporters in attendance.
The presentation consisted of video and illustrations of the evolution of his Okcat character over the years, to its present form. Taecyeon also revealed a jingle and merchandise that he is producing under the "Okcat" brand including: pillows, plush toys, USB drives and phone accessories. Taecyeon stated that the merchandise will be sold through various online merchants, and be announced through his Official venues on Twitter and Facebook.
The presentation concluded with a round of Q&A's and an autograph session.
On December 9, 2010 a JYP Entertainment representative revealed that “Taecyeon would like to give up his American permanent residence visa and recently, on December 1st, he received his official confirmation for his permanent residence cancellation.”
Taecyeon had a physical examination for drafting but received a physical body status sufficient only for enlistment as public service personnel, due to his poor vision and a dislocated shoulder back in 2008. However he is currently thinking of getting another physical examination in order to undertake active military duties.
The JYP representative stated: “Taecyeon has voiced thoughts of wanting to enter the military service. He submitted his documents on the 1st and is clear on his actions.” He went on to explain: “Now that Taecyeon wants to enter active duties, he recently received a re-examination. I think he was affected by the recent Yeonpyeong Island shelling, so we want to respect his decision.” He concluded: “Since Taecyeon is still at a young age, he won’t be entering the military immediately. He is currently active as an actor as well as continuing his studies, so we still need to watch over him.”
On the February 7th, 2011 broadcast of KBS2TV’s “Yeo Yu Man Man,” Taecyeon shared his thoughts on his enlistment situation stating that he plans to get corrective eye surgery so he can enlist.
On the December 7th, 2013 broadcast of KBS2TV's "The Human Condition," Taecyeon shared his plans to enlist sometime in 2015 after 2PM concludes their schedules.
On December 12, 2013 several news agencies reported that Taecyeon was retested and judged fit for active military duty. His initial test in 2008 found him only capable of public service due his bad eyesight and a herniated disk. In 2012 and 2013 he underwent surgery to correct the disk as well as to remove pins in his upper arm from a serious break in 2013.
|2013||Marriage Blue||Soo Film||Won-chul||Lead role|
|2010||Cinderella's Sister||KBS2||Han Jung-woo||Supporting role|
|2011||Dream High||KBS2||Jin Gook / Hyun Shi-hyuk||Lead role|
|Boku to Star no 99 Nichi||Fuji TV||Tae-sung||Supporting role|
|2013||Who Are You?||tvN||Cha Gun-woo||Lead role|
|2014||Wonderful Days||KBS2||Kang Dong-hee||Lead role|
|2015||Assembly||KBS2||Kim Kyu-hwan||Lead role|
|2016||Touching You||Naver TV Cast (South Korea)
Hollywood HDTV (Thailand)
|Do Jin-woo||Lead role|
|Hey Ghost, Let's Fight||tvN||Park Bong-pal||Lead role|
|First aired||Last aired|
|2008||Hot Blood||Mnet||10||October 10, 2008||November 8, 2008|
|Idol Army (Season 3)||MBC||17||4 December, 2008||26 March, 2009|
|2009||Wild Bunny||Mnet||7||July 21, 2009||August 21, 2009|
|2011||2PM Show!||SBS||12||July 9, 2011||September 24, 2011|
|2013||A Song For You From 2PM||KBS2||15||February 17, 2013||May 24, 2013|
|We Got Married (Global Edition)||Mnet||1 - 20||April 7, 2013||July 14, 2013|
|2015||Oven Radio||1theK||5||June 14, 2015||June 18, 2015|
|2009||Inkigayo||SBS||MC with Jang Wooyoung and Ha Yeon-joo|
|2010||Inkigayo||SBS||MC with Jang Wooyoung and Sulli|
|Family Outing 2||SBS||fixed cast|
|2013||Human Condition (Living Without Stress)||KBS2||guest episode 44, 45, 46, 47|
|2014||Three Meals a Day||tvN||fixed cast with Lee Seo-jin|
|2015||Three Meals a Day Season 2||tvN||fixed cast with Lee Seo-jin|
|2016||Mommy||SBS||MC with Lee Hwi-jae|
On January 7, 2010 photographs surfaced of Taecyeon and Nichkhun with actress Yoon Eunhye for Cass Beer. 2PM were chosen to endorse the beer with a special, promotional single "Tik Tok". Taecyeon played one of the three main character in the 12-minute music video-drama, which was released on February 8, 2010.
In May 2010 Taecyeon featured in another music video-drama for Everland's Caribbean Bay water theme park along with 2PM's Nichkhun & Chansung and Girls' Generation members Yoona, Seohyun & Kwon Yuri.
|2009||Baek Ji Young ft.Taecyeon||"MY Ear's Candy"||EGO|
|2012||Park Jin-young, Miss A's Suzy, 2PM's Wooyoung and Taecyeon||"Classic"||Digital Single (Reebok Classic CF)|
|Miss A ft.Taecyeon||"Madness"||Independent Women Part III|
|2014||Seulong (2AM) & Taecyeon||"U Don't Know"||JYP NATION KOREA 2014 'ONE MIC|
|Junho (2PM), Jr. (GOT7), JB (GOT7) & Taecyeon||"Bounce"||JYP NATION KOREA 2014 'ONE MIC|
|2011||"Dream High" (with Wooyoung, Kim Soo-hyun and Suzy)||Dream High OST|
|"My Valentine" (with J.Y. Park & Nichkhun)|
|2013||"My Way to You" (with Junho)||7th Grade Civil Servant OST|
|May 6, 2013||A.D.T.O.Y||2PM||Grown|
|May 6, 2013||Comeback When You Hear This Song||2PM||Grown|
|May 6, 2013||I’m Sorry||2PM||Grown|
|May 6, 2013||One More Day||2PM||Grown|
|May 6, 2013||Coming Down||2PM||Grown|
|May 6, 2013||Go Back||2PM||Grown|
|May 6, 2013||Traición||Taecyeon||Grown(Grand Edition only)|
|May 6, 2013||It's Time||Taecyeon feat. San E, Yubin||Grown(Grand Edition only)|
|May 6, 2013||Call My Name||2PM||Grown(Grand Edition only)|
|September 15, 2014||Mine||2PM||Go Crazy!|
|September 15, 2014||Boyfriend||2PM||Go Crazy!|
|September 15, 2014||Rain Is Falling||2PM||Go Crazy!|
|September 15, 2014||Pull&Pull||2PM||Go Crazy!|
|September 15, 2014||Awesome!||2PM||Go Crazy!|
|September 15, 2014||Please Come Back||Chansung & Taecyeon feat. Baek A-yeon||Go Crazy!(Grand Edition only)|
|September 15, 2014||The Word, Love||Chansung & Taecyeon||Go Crazy!(Grand Edition only)|
|June 19, 2015||About To Go Insane (미칠 것 같아)||2PM||No. 5|
|June 19, 2015||Magic||2PM||No. 5|
|June 19, 2015||Jump||2PM||No. 5|
Awards and nominations
|2010||KBS Drama Awards||Best New Actor||Cinderella's Sister||Nominated|
|2011||47th Baeksang Arts Awards||Best New Actor (TV)||Taecyeon||Nominated|
|Most Popular Actor (TV)||Taecyeon||Nominated|
|Mnet 20's Choice Awards||Best Sixpack||N/A||Nominated|
|3rd Bugs Music Awards||OST of the Year with Nichkhun & Park Jin-young||"My Valentine"||Won|
|KBS Drama Awards||Best Couple with Suzy||Dream High||Nominated|
|Mnet Media Awards||BOLD & THOUGHFUL, CELEBRITIES POPULAR||Taecyeon||Won|
|2012||Seoul Drama Awards||OST Awards||Dream High||Nominated|
|2014||50th Baeksang Arts Awards||Most Popular Actor (Film)||Marriage Blue||Nominated|
|Most Popular Actor (TV)||Wonderful Days||Nominated|
|3rd APAN Star Awards||Excellence Award, Actor in a Serial Drama||Nominated|
|KBS Drama Awards||Nominated|
|2012||KWEB FEST||Best Actor||Touching You (Web Drama)||Pending|
- ":: 2PM ::". 2pm.jype.com. Retrieved 2016-05-19.
- "2PM 택연, '옥캣' 캐릭터 사업 스타트 CEO변신 : 스포츠조선". Sports.chosun.com. Retrieved 2016-05-19.
- "Taecyeon Fell In Love With Night Before Wedding Role : KMovie". KDramaStars. Retrieved 2016-05-19.
- "happy together 2pm 7". YouTube. Retrieved 2016-05-19.
- Cover story: 2PM. iamkoream.com. Retrieved 2011-01-08.
- February 26, 2013 (2013-02-26). "Taecyeon Is Accepted into Prestigious Korea University as Grad Student". Soompi. Retrieved 2016-05-19.
- (Video) 2PM′s Taecyeon Understands...Arabic?? enewsWorld. 2012-05-29.
- "Agency mates Taecyeon and Park Joo Hyung head to Busan to practice their dialect for 'Very Good Days'". Allkpop.com. 2014-02-01. Retrieved 2016-05-19.
- BHS junior competes in Korean 'Survivor' – Bedford, MA – Bedford Minuteman. Wickedlocal.com. Retrieved on 2012-08-14.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on July 22, 2011. Retrieved July 30, 2011.
- Lim, Hye-seon (26 January 2010). "2PM Taecyeon mulling TV acting debut". 10 Asia. Retrieved 18 February 2013.
- Park, So-yoen (23 February 2010). "2PM Taecyeon starts shooting for new drama". 10 Asia. Retrieved 18 February 2013.
- en.korea.com. Retrieved 2011-01-08.
- Sanspo. Retrieved 2011.09.28
- "'We Got Married: Global Edition' to start airing on April 7". Allkpop.com. 2013-04-04. Retrieved 2016-05-19.
- "Overseas Success of 'We Got Married: Global Edition' Overshadows Low Ratings : News". KpopStarz. Retrieved 2016-05-19.
- "나눔 (Share) [with 택연] - Single by Blue Bears (블루베어스) & Taecyeon on iTunes". Itunes.apple.com. 2012-02-28. Retrieved 2016-05-19.
- 2PM 택연, 단국대 동문들과 디지털앨범 발표 : 네이트 뉴스. News.nate.com. Retrieved on 2012-05-06.
- [NEWS] 120221 2PM’s Taecyeon to release charity project album ‘Blue Bears’ with fellow Dankook University students. 2ONEDAY! (2012-02-22). Retrieved on 2012-05-06.
- [FANCAMS] 120223 Dankook University New Student Ceremony – Blue Bears 1st performance. 2ONEDAY! (2012-04-30). Retrieved on 2012-05-06.
- "taec yeon ok (@taeccool)". Twitter. Retrieved 2016-05-19.
- TwitLonger — When you talk too much for Twitter. Twitlonger.com (2012-05-25). Retrieved on 2012-08-14.
- Daum 카페. Cafe.daum.net. Retrieved on 2012-08-14.
- 2PM’s Taecyeon offers “Lullaby For Hottest” as free download. Allkpop.com (2012-06-18). Retrieved on 2012-08-14.
- "taec yeon ok on Twitter: "사진을 안올렸네... Okcat coming soon~~ "". Twitter. Retrieved 2016-05-19.
- "taec yeon ok on Twitter:"". Twitter. 2013-09-12. Retrieved 2016-05-19.
- "2PM 택연이 개발한 캐릭터 '옥캣' 첫 선 :: 네이버 TV연예". News.naver.com (in (Korean)). 2013-09-17. Retrieved 2016-05-19.
- "2PM 옥택연 캐릭터 '옥캣', 1년도 안돼 매출이 무려.. : 네이버 뉴스". News.naver.com (in (Korean)). 2014-07-17. Retrieved 2016-05-19.
- "Watch 2PM Taecyeon's 'The Okcat Live'!". Allkpop.com. 2013-10-11. Retrieved 2016-05-19.
- "131011 THE OKCAT LIVE - 玉澤演(옥캣)". YouTube. 2013-10-11. Retrieved 2016-05-19.
- Kim, Ji-yeon (2010-12-09). "2PM 택연 美영주권 포기, 입대준비" [2PM's Taecyeon prepares to join the military by giving up his American Green Card.] (in Korean). Money Today/Starnews Korea. Retrieved 2014-11-19.
- "2PM 택연 "시력교정 받고 현역 가겠다" - 경향신문". News.khan.co.kr. 2010-12-28. Retrieved 2016-05-19.
- "美영주권 포기한 택연 "현역으로 가고 싶다…연평도 사태 보고 결심" | 다음연예". Media.daum.net (in (Korean)). Retrieved 2016-05-19.
- Taecyeon cancels green card to enlist in the military. Koreaboo.com (2010-12-09). Retrieved 2011-01-08.
- "2PM Taekyeon gives up US green card to serve in active-service". Koreatimes.co.kr. 2010-12-10. Retrieved 2016-05-19.
- Taecyeon plans to get eye corrective surgery in order to enlist. Allkpop.com (2011-02-07). Retrieved on 2012-05-06.
- "2PM's Taecyeon reveals his ideal type and plans to enlist". Allkpop.com. Retrieved 2016-05-19.
- 2PM 택연-닉쿤, 윤은혜 두고 삼각관계?. 조윤선 동아닷컴 기자.
- "소녀시대-2PM '캐비' M/V서 섹시한 라이프가드로 변신 - 뉴스천지". Newscj.com. Retrieved 2016-05-19.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on March 24, 2011. Retrieved May 31, 2012.