November 3, 1936 |
Wakayama Prefecture, Japan
|Known for||Golgo 13|
|Awards||Shogakukan Manga Award (1976)|
|Part of a series on|
|Anime and manga|
|Anime and Manga portal|
Takao Saito (斎藤 隆夫, さいとう・たかを Saitō Takao, born November 3, 1936 in Wakayama Prefecture) is a Japanese manga and gekiga artist. He is best known for Golgo 13, which has been serialized in Big Comic since 1968 making it the oldest manga still in publication.
Early life and career
He debuted with his first manga Baron Air in 1955. In 1958 he moved to Tokyo, where he started a comic story atelier (劇画工房) together with seven other artists (Masahiko Matsumoto, Aki Masa Sato, Fumi Ishikawa Yasu, Masaru Sakurai, Susumu Mon, Tsu Motomi, Qi Mahi). Since April 1960, he has run Saito Production, a company with currently 19 employees. In 1971 he also started to give courses in drawing manga.
Awards and accolades
In 2009, Saito was among the 158 manga artists invited to celebrate the 50th anniversary of both Shogakukan's Weekly Shōnen Sunday magazine and Kodansha's Weekly Shōnen Magazine at the Tokyo Imperial Hotel.
- Baron Air (空気男爵, 1955)
- Typhoon Goro (台風五郎, 1958)
- 007 Series (1964-1967)
- Golgo 13 (ゴルゴ13, 1968)
- Kage Gari (影狩り, 1969)
- Survival (サバイバル)
- Barom-1 (バロム・1, 1970)
- Japan Sinks (1970) (manga adaptation)
- Master Thief Sugar (怪盗シュガー Kaitō Shugā), which was adapted into the unreleased NES video game Secret Ties.
- Doll: The Hotel Detective (ホテル探偵DOLL)\
- Professional Swordsmen of the Edo Era (剣客商売)
- The Shadowman (THE シャドウマン)
- Breakdown (ブレイクダウン, 1995)
- Onoda Power, Natsu. God of Comics: Osamu Tezuka and the Creation of Post-World War II Manga. — University Press of Mississippi, 2009. — P. 96. — (Great Comics Artists). — ISBN 978-1-60473-221-4
- "Golgo 13 Author Saito Discusses Manga's Hypothetical Ending". Anime News Network. 2013-11-16. Retrieved 2015-04-08.
- "Artists Celebrate 45 Years of Golgo 13". Anime News Network. 2013-11-13. Retrieved 2015-04-08.
- "Manga List" 小学館漫画賞: 歴代受賞者 (in Japanese). Shogakukan. Archived from the original on 5 August 2015. Retrieved 19 October 2016.
- "158 Manga Creators Mark Shonen Sunday, Mag's 50th Year". Anime News Network. 2009-03-19. Retrieved 2009-03-21.
- 週刊少年サンデー・週刊少年マガジン50周年記念大同窓会、名だたる漫画家たちによるコメントムービー (in Japanese). 2009-03-17. Retrieved 2009-03-21.
- "Golgo 13's Saito, Sunset on 3rd St.'s Saigan Win Medals". Anime News Network. 2010-04-28. Retrieved 2015-04-08.
- Atsushi, Ohara (2 December 2013). "Manga 'Golgo 13' celebrates 45 years of continuous publication". Asahi Shimbun. Archived from the original on 24 October 2015. Retrieved 19 October 2016.
- "Japan Sinks". JManga. Archived from the original on 16 May 2013. Retrieved 19 October 2016.
- Cifaldi, Frank (August 2004). "Spotlight: Secret Ties". Lostlevels.org. Lost Levels. Archived from the original on 3 April 2016. Retrieved 19 October 2016.
- "Doll the Hotel Detective". JManga. Archived from the original on 15 May 2013. Retrieved 19 October 2016.