|Member of Parliament|
for Sembawang GRC
|Assumed office |
7 May 2011
|Preceded by||Maliki Osman (PAP)|
|Political party||People's Action Party|
|Alma mater||Trinity College, Cambridge|
National University of Singapore
Vikram Nair (Tamil: விக்ரம் நாயர்; born 1978) is a Singaporean politician and lawyer. A member of the governing People's Action Party (PAP), he has been the Member of Parliament (MP) representing the Admiralty division of Sembawang GRC since 2011.
Nair was educated at Anglo-Chinese School (Independent) and Raffles Junior College before graduating from the Trinity College at the University of Cambridge under the Jardine Foundation Scholarship, where he read law.
He was awarded the college's Lizette Bentwich Prize for Law in 2002. He served as Director of Debating at the Cambridge Union Society between 2001 and 2002, and was ranked the No. 3 individual speaker at the 2002 World Universities Debating Championship in Toronto, Canada.
From 2002 to 2004, Nair worked as a management consultant at McKinsey & Company. He then joined the law firm Allen & Gledhill in 2005, where he worked in the Dispute Resolution Department. From 2008 to 2014, Nair worked at the law firm Norton Rose, and since 2014 he has been with Rajah & Tann.
From 2010 to 2011, Nair was the vice-chairman of Singapore's Malayalam Language Education Society. He is currently the chairman of the Tamil Language Learning and Promotion Committee, and has served on the committees of various other non-profit societies in Singapore.
Nair was elected into Parliament as an MP for Sembawang GRC at the 2011 general election. He was part of the PAP team led by the Minister for Health, Khaw Boon Wan, which defeated the team from the Singapore Democratic Party by 84,252 votes (63.9%) to 47,605 (36.1%). Since the election, Nair has represented the Admiralty ward of Sembawang GRC.
Nair was re-elected as an MP at the 2015 general election, when the PAP team in Sembawang defeated the team from the National Solidarity Party by 96,639 votes (72.3%) to 37,067 (27.7%). Within Parliament, Nair has served as a member of the Government Parliamentary Committees for Trade & Industry and Finance, Law and Home Affairs, and Communications and Information.
He was then appointed Chairperson of Defence and Foreign Affairs Government Parliamentary Committee (GPC) in the 14th Parliament of Singapore.
- "MP | Parliament of Singapore".
- Sim, Bryna, A day in the life of Vikram Nair Archived 2018-04-11 at the Wayback Machine, The New Paper, 22 April 2011
- Mr Vikram Nair, Parliament of Singapore website, retrieved 13 March 2012
- MP Profile – Vikram Nair Archived October 15, 2012, at the Wayback Machine, pap.org.sg, retrieved 13 March 2012
- Vikram Nair, nortonrose.com, retrieved 14 March 2012
- Vikram Nair, rajahtannasia.com, retrieved 20 September 2015
- Our MPs Archived 2015-10-08 at the Wayback Machine, Sembawang Town Council website, retrieved 20 September 2015
- Cupid strikes and...MP Vikram Nair says 'I do', The Straits Times, 11 June 2015
- hermes (2017-08-10). "Seen at NDP: Ying The Label's clothes inspired by Singapore identity". The Straits Times. Retrieved 2018-08-07.