|Member of the Singapore Parliament
for Sembawang GRC
7 May 2011
18 July 1978 |
|Political party||People's Action Party|
|Alma mater||Cambridge University,
National University of Singapore
Vikram Nair (born 18 July 1978) is a politician and lawyer from Singapore. A member of the country's governing People's Action Party (PAP), he has been a Member of Parliament (MP) representing the Sembawang Group Representation Constituency since 2011.
From 2002 to 2004, Nair worked as a management consultant at McKinsey & Company. He then joined the law firm Allen & Gledhill in 2005, where he worked in the Dispute Resolution Department. From 2008 to 2014 Nair worked at the law firm Norton Rose, and since 2014 he has been with Rajah & Tann.
From 2010 to 2011, Nair was the Vice-Chairman of Singapore's Malayalam Language Education Society. He has also served on the committees of various other non-profit societies in Singapore.
Nair was elected to Parliament as an MP for the Group Representation Constituency (GRC) of Sembawang at the 2011 general election. He was a member of the PAP team in the constituency led by the Minister for Health, Khaw Boon Wan, which defeated the team from the Singapore Democratic Party by 84,252 votes (63.9%) to 47,605 (36.1%). Since the election, Nair has represented the Admiralty ward within the constituency.
Within Parliament, Nair has served as a member of the Government Parliamentary Committees for Trade & Industry and Finance, Law and Home Affairs, and Communications and Information.
Nair had his early education at Bedok Primary School, Anglo-Chinese School (Independent) and Raffles Junior College. He then went on to Cambridge University on a Jardine Foundation Scholarship, where he read law at Trinity College. He was awarded the college's Lizette Bentwich Prize for Law in 2002. He served as Director of Debating at the Cambridge Union Society from 2001 to 2002, and was ranked the No. 3 individual speaker at the 2002 World Universities Debating Championship in Toronto, Canada. In 2005, Nair completed a Graduate Diploma in Singapore Law at the National University of Singapore.
Nair married banking executive Faye Ong in April 2015.
- Sim, Bryna, A day in the life of Vikram Nair, The New Paper, 22 April 2011
- MP Profile – Vikram Nair Archived October 15, 2012, at the Wayback Machine., pap.org.sg, retrieved 13 March 2012
- Vikram Nair, nortonrose.com, retrieved 14 March 2012
- Vikram Nair, rajahtannasia.com, retrieved 20 September 2015
- Our MPs, Sembawang Town Council website, retrieved 20 September 2015
- Mr Vikram Nair, Parliament of Singapore website, retrieved 13 March 2012
- Cupid strikes and...MP Vikram Nair says 'I do', The Straits Times, 11 June 2015
- Mr Vikram Nair at Parliament of Singapore website