This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|City||College Park, Maryland|
|Broadcast area||Baltimore–Washington metropolitan area|
|Branding||"El Zol 107.9 FM"|
|Slogan||"Solo Exitos, Todo El Tiempo!"|
(also on HD Radio)
|First air date||1960(as WFSI)|
|Format||Analog/HD1: Spanish Tropical|
HD2: Spanish Sports(WJFK (AM) simulcast)
|ERP||49,000 watts (analog)|
2,400 watts (digital)
|HAAT||151.1 meters (496 ft)|
|Transmitter coordinates||Coordinates: (NAD27)|
|Callsign meaning||EL ZoL|
|Former callsigns||WFSI (1960-12/1/2011)|
(Entercom License, LLC)
|Sister stations||WIAD, WJFK, WJFK-FM, WDCH-FM, WPGC-FM|
WLZL (107.9 FM, "El Zol 107.9 FM") is a commercial FM radio station licensed to serve College Park, Maryland. The station is owned by Entercom through licensee Entercom License, LLC and broadcasts a Spanish tropical format. Studios are located in Washington, D.C. while the station's broadcast tower is located east of Crofton, Maryland at ( ).
On November 16, 2011, CBS Radio announced plans to acquire WFSI from Family Radio, with the intention of moving WLZL's Spanish Tropical format and El Zol branding from 99.1 to 107.9, with a new all-news format to be launched on 99.1. The format change occurred on December 1, when both stations began simulcasting El Zol programming. WFSI also swapped call signs with WBGR, a Family Radio-owned AM station in Baltimore, the same day. The 99.1/107.9 simulcast ended on December 12, 2011, with the WLZL call sign moving from 99.1 to 107.9 and the new WNEW-FM call sign debuting on 99.1.
On February 19, 2013, the FCC granted CBS Radio a construction permit for WLZL to lower its ERP from 50,000 watts to 49,000 watts and to lower its HAAT from 152 meters (499 ft) to 151.1 meters (496 ft). These changes brought WLZL into compliance with current FCC rules regarding maximum ERP and HAAT for a Class B station. WLZL had been operating using facilities that exceeded these parameters as a "grandfathered" facility. On May 7, 2014, the FCC granted a request by CBS Radio to change the community of license for the station from Annapolis, Maryland to College Park, Maryland, as a modification of the construction permit. The reason given was to provide College Park with its first local transmission service.
- "FCC 335-FM Digital Notification [WLZL]". fcc.gov. Federal Communications Commission. March 19, 2014. Retrieved 2018-04-14.
- "FCC 302-FM APPLICATION FOR FM BROADCAST STATION LICENSE, Exhibit 6". fcc.gov. Federal Communications Commission. December 10, 2015. Retrieved 2017-03-03.
- "FM Query Results for WLZL". fcc.gov. Federal Communications Commission. Retrieved 2017-03-03.
- "New HD Radio/IBOC signal in Washington: 107.9 WLZL Annapolis, MD". fmradiodx.wordpress.com. April 28, 2014. Retrieved 2017-03-03.
- "Official: CBS buying D.C.-Baltimore WFSI (107.9), will debut all-news on 99.1". radio-info.com. November 16, 2011. Archived from the original on November 20, 2011. Retrieved March 3, 2017.
- Venta, Lance (January 22, 2012). "CBS Acquires WFSI, To Launch All-News On 99.1". radioinsight.com. Retrieved 2017-03-03.
- "FCC 301 APPLICATION FOR CONSTRUCTION PERMIT FOR COMMERCIAL BROADCAST STATION, Attachment 30: Exhibit 30 - Statement A - Nature of the Proposal". fcc.gov. Federal Communications Commission. December 6, 2012. Retrieved 2018-04-14.
- "FCC 301 APPLICATION FOR CONSTRUCTION PERMIT FOR COMMERCIAL BROADCAST STATION, Attachment 30: Exhibit 30 - Statement A - Nature of the Proposal". fcc.gov. Federal Communications Commission. October 22, 2013. Retrieved 2018-04-14.
- "FCC 301 APPLICATION FOR CONSTRUCTION PERMIT FOR COMMERCIAL BROADCAST STATION, Attachment 36: 307(b) Showing". fcc.gov. Federal Communications Commission. October 22, 2013. Retrieved 2017-03-03.
- CBS Radio to Merge with Entercom
- "Entercom Receives FCC Approval for Merger with CBS Radio". Entercom. November 9, 2017. Retrieved November 17, 2017.
- Venta, Lance (November 17, 2017). "Entercom Completes CBS Radio Merger". Radio Insight. Retrieved November 17, 2017.
- Official website
- Query the FCC's FM station database for WLZL
- Radio-Locator information on WLZL
- Query Nielsen Audio's FM station database for WLZL