Wattay International Airport
|Wattay International Airport
|Airport type||Military/Public/Civil Aviation Authority|
|Operator||Military of Laos|
|Hub for||Lao Air
Lao Central Airlines
|Elevation AMSL||564 ft / 172 m|
Wattay International Airport (IATA: VTE, ICAO: VLVT) is one of the few international airports in Laos. It is located 3 km (2 mi) outside of the city centre of its capital, Vientiane. The airport consists of an old and small domestic terminal and a new international terminal. There is a military (air force) installation at one end of the airport. It is a base for Lao Air Force.
Airlines and destinations
- Duty-free shop
- Post office
- Internet café
The airport has a bonded warehouse building for air cargo passing through the airport. The facility is operated by Lao-Japan Airport Terminal Building Service Co. Ltd.
Access to airport by taxi, car and tuk-tuk. A taxi rank is located outside the main arrival hall.
Accidents and incidents
- On 24 March 1976, Douglas C-47A Skytrain XW-TAF and C-47Bs XW-TDF and XW-TDR of Royal Air Lao were damaged beyond economic repair in a storm.
- On 16 October 2013, Lao Airlines Flight 301 Crashed on approach to Paxe airport from Vientiane.
- "Contact Lao Central Airines." [sic] (Archive) Lao Central Airlines. Retrieved on 21 October 2013. "International Airport, Ban Arkard, Sikhodtabong District, Vientiane Lao PDR"
- "Laos" (Archive). Federal Aviation Administration. p. 2/10. "Ministry of Public Works and Transport Department of Civil Aviation Vientiane/Wattay International Airport P.O. Box 119 Vientiane, Lao PDR."
- "Contact Us." Lao Air. Retrieved on 19 September 2010. "Lao Air Company Asiane Road, Ban Akat, Wattay Airport"
- "SilkAir Resumes Laos Service from late-Oct 2016". airlineroute. Retrieved 27 April 2016.
- "XW-TAF Accident description". Aviation Safety Network. Retrieved 15 August 2010.
- "XW-TDF Accident description". Aviation Safety Network. Retrieved 15 August 2010.
- "XW-TDR Accident description". Aviation Safety Network. Retrieved 15 August 2010.
Media related to Wattay International Airport at Wikimedia Commons