Weaverville Joss House State Historic Park
|Weaverville Joss House State Historic Park|
Joss House in April 2020
|Governing body||State of California|
Weaverville Joss House State Historic Park is a state park located in the center of the town of Weaverville, California. The site is a Taoist temple which is still in use, and is the oldest Chinese temple in California.
The original temple was built by Chinese goldminers during California's 1849 gold rush.
The current building, called The Temple among the Trees Beneath the Clouds (雲林廟), was built in 1874 to replace earlier structures which had been destroyed by fires. In 1934, much of the material in the building was taken during a robbery. The state decided that, in order to protect the historic nature of the material, a local resident, Moon Lim Lee, would be named trustee for the site. In 1956, the site officially became a state historic site.
In 1989, a box was left at the visitor's center. It contained one of the Chinese Guardian Lions which had been stolen in the 1934 theft. The state of California commissioned a new pair of dogs to place on display in the temple. The new dogs were created by traditional craftsmen in China.
Much of the material on display inside the temple includes temple equipment, objects of Chinese art, mining tools, and weapons used in the 1854 Tong War. The temple's patron saints are Xuan Wu and Guan Yu.
The interior of the temple remains the same as it looked when it was built, although safety railings and electric lights have been added. On the grounds, there is a recently added parking lot, visitor's center, and reflecting pool. Worship is still practiced at the temple but to preserve the exterior of the temple grounds, no incense burning is permitted.
The temple is located at the southwest corner of Main Street (California State Route 299) and Oregon Street in Weaverville.
- Temple of Kwan Tai (武帝廟) located in Mendocino, California
- Bok Kai Temple (北溪廟) located in the city of Marysville, California
- Kong Chow Temple (岡州古廟) located in San Francisco, California
- Tin How Temple (天后古廟) in San Francisco's Chinatown, California
- Oroville Chinese Temple (列聖宮) located in Oroville, California
- Ma-Tsu Temple (美國舊金山媽祖廟朝聖宮) in San Francisco's Chinatown, California
- Thien Hau Temple (天后宮) located in Los Angeles's Chinatown in California
- "Weaverville Joss House". Office of Historic Preservation, California State Parks. Retrieved 2012-10-15.
- Weaverville Joss House Association (state of California official website)
- state of California official website
- Trinity County official website
- City of Weaverville official website
- Photo gallery
- Video of the 2010 Lion Dance (official city of Weaverville video)
|This Taoism-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about an American religious building or structure is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|