This is an information page.
It is not one of Wikipedia's policies or guidelines, but rather intends to describe some aspect(s) of Wikipedia's norms, customs, technicalities, or practices. It may reflect varying levels of consensus and vetting.
|Wikimedia Board of Trustees|
Functionaries are users who perform specialised roles and have privileged technical access on the Wikimedia projects. Examples include users with Oversight or CheckUser access, and current and past members of the Arbitration Committee. Functionary access must be authorised by the Arbitration Committee or the Wikimedia Foundation, and requires that the user sign the confidentiality agreement for nonpublic information. This is in contrast to users who are administrators, bureaucrats, or members of the Bot Approvals Group; these are 'community' positions.
Functionaries whose permissions and responsibilities are confined to the English Wikipedia are under the jurisdiction of the Arbitration Committee. These functionaries include:
- Current members of the Arbitration Committee
- Former members of the Arbitration Committee
- Other users to whom the Arbitration Committee has granted CheckUser or Oversight permissions
Functionaries are held to a higher standard of behavior than non-functionaries, especially in issues related to their area of responsibility. Users who demonstrate a lack of judgment in an area related to their special access may have their status as functionaries revoked, whether or not an explicit abuse of their privileged access has occurred. As functionaries have a high profile within the project and are the face of Wikipedia both to its editors and to the wider world, it is damaging to the integrity of the encyclopedia as a whole if these users are repeatedly embroiled in controversy. Functionaries may be removed from their position by the Arbitration Committee.
The functionaries-en mailing list is a venue for general discussion among current Arbitration Committee members, advanced permission operators (CheckUser and/or Oversight), all former members of the list in good standing, and other editors with official Wikimedia Foundation affiliation or status. The mailing list is private and can only be used by its members; any emails that are sent to it from non-members are automatically rejected and not delivered.
Although current Arbitration Committee members are subscribed to arbcom-en, the scope of this list is broader. Its use allows for more effective collaboration among editors involved with sensitive and privacy-related areas within the community, and the handling of related issues - primarily on the English Wikipedia. The list also has a role in supporting the Arbitration Committee, being available to assist with various matters, and acting as a forum for discussion, input, and collective memory as needed.
As this list is private, it is not a place for unblock requests or other general queries. The appropriate volunteer response team queue is better suited for such issues.
As of 14 April 2023, the subscribers are:
- Advanced permission (CheckUser and/or Oversight) operators
- Alison (CU/former OS), Amalthea (former CU), Amorymeltzer (OS), Anarchyte (OS), Avraham (former CU/OS), Berean Hunter (former CU), Blablubbs (CU), Daniel Case (former OS), Dreamy Jazz (CU/OS), Dweller (OS), EdJohnston (CU), Ferret (former CU), Firefly (CU), Fluffernutter (former OS), Fox (former OS), GB fan (OS), Girth Summit (CU), HJ Mitchell (OS), Ivanvector (CU), Julia W (former OS), Keegan (former OS), Lofty abyss (OS), LuK3 (OS), MusikAnimal (former CU), Mz7 (CU/OS), NinjaRobotPirate (CU), Oshwah (CU/OS), Philippe (former CU/OS), Ponyo (CU/OS), Reaper Eternal (CU), Richwales (OS), RoySmith (CU), Snowolf (former OS), Someguy1221 (former OS), Sphilbrick (former OS), SQL (CU), ST47 (CU), Stwalkerster (CU/OS), The Blade of the Northern Lights (OS), TonyBallioni (CU/OS), Vanamonde93 (OS), Versageek (CU), Xaosflux (OS), Yamla (CU), Zzuuzz (CU)
- Current arbitrators
- Barkeep49, Beeblebrox, Cabayi, CaptainEek, Enterprisey, GeneralNotability, Guerillero, Izno, L235, Moneytrees, Opabinia regalis, Primefac, SilkTork, Worm That Turned, Wugapodes
- Former arbitrators
- AGK, AmandaNP, BDD, Bradv, Callanecc, Casliber, Coren, Courcelles, David Fuchs, Deskana, Doug Weller, Drmies, Euryalus, FloNight, GorillaWarfare, Joe Roe, Jpgordon, Keilana, Kelapstick, KrakatoaKatie, Ks0stm, LFaraone, Mailer diablo, Mkdw, NativeForeigner, Newyorkbrad, NuclearWarfare, Paul August, PhilKnight, Premeditated Chaos, Risker, Roger Davies, Salvio giuliano, Seraphimblade, SoWhy, Thryduulf, Timotheus Canens, UninvitedCompany, Xeno, Yunshui
- Wikimedia Foundation
- Maggie Dennis (Vice President, Community Resilience & Sustainability), Patrick Earley (Community Advocate)
The list above is served from Template:Functionaries.