|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2012)|
|Alternative names||Bacon butty, bacon sarnie, rasher sandwich, bacon sanger, piece 'n bacon, bacon cob, bacon barm, bacon muffin|
|Place of origin||United Kingdom|
|Main ingredients||Bread and bacon, with a condiment, often ketchup or brown sauce|
|Cookbook:Bacon sandwich Bacon sandwich|
A bacon sandwich (also known in parts of the United Kingdom and New Zealand as a bacon butty or bacon sarnie, in Ireland as a rasher sandwich and as a bacon sanger in Australia and parts of Scotland) is a sandwich of cooked bacon between bread that is usually spread with butter or margarine, and may be seasoned with ketchup and mustard. It is generally served hot. The BLT is a popular variant of the bacon sandwich with the additional ingredients of lettuce and tomato, but served cold.
Bacon sandwiches are an all-day favourite throughout the United Kingdom. They are often served in greasy spoons, and are anecdotally recommended as a hangover cure. Australian hamburger shops sell a bacon sandwich, which is made much like a traditional Australian hamburger with fried bacon, fried onions, lettuce, tomato, tinned beetroot and barbecue sauce or tomato sauce. In some establishments the sandwich will be made from bread toasted on only one side, while other establishments serve it on the same roll as is used for hamburgers. In Toronto, Canada, peameal bacon served on a kaiser roll is a popular version of the sandwich.
- Bacon, egg and cheese sandwich
- Club sandwich
- Chip butty
- Cobb salad
- List of sandwiches
- Sausage sandwich
- Blog, Tog. "The Rasher sandwich...". Togblog. Retrieved 2 September 2012.
- Timeline, Food. "Food Timeline FAQs: sandwiches". http://www.foodtimeline.org. Retrieved 2 September 2012.
- Cloake, Felicity (2012-03-07). "How to cook the perfect bacon sandwich". The Guardian. Retrieved 15 January 2015.
- "Bacon sandwich really does cure a hangover". The Daily Telegraph. 7 April 2009. Retrieved 29 April 2013.
- Champion, Luke. "The Best Peameal Bacon Sandwiches in Toronto". http://www.blogto.com. Retrieved 2 September 2012.
- Scientists' "perfect" bacon butty. BBC, 9 April 2007
- Bacon sandwich really does cure a hangover . The Telegraph, 7 April 2009
|This breakfast-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This bacon-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|