||The examples and perspective in this article may not represent a worldwide view of the subject. (July 2012)|
|Hot (or cold, as in submarine sandwiches)|
|Recipes at Wikibooks:|
|Media at Wikimedia Commons:|
A chicken sandwich (United States) or chicken burger (United States, United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, and South Africa) or chicken on a bun is typically a boneless, skinless, breast of chicken in a bun or between two slices of bread.
The breast of chicken can be prepared by the following methods:
- Battering and frying the breast (this type of treatment is most prevalent, as it can use various parts of the breast rather than a whole piece of chicken breast meat)
- Grilling the breast plain
- Basted or marinated
The usual condiments of choice are barbecue sauce, honey mustard, mayonnaise, or chipotle and sweet chilli sauce. The usual toppings are lettuce and tomato. Many restaurants may add bacon, or cheese, such as Swiss, American, Cheddar, provolone, or pepper Jack. Other toppings include guacamole or plain avocado, sauteed mushrooms, grilled onions, pickles, and grilled pineapple.
Chick-fil-A claims that it was the first restaurant chain to serve this type of chicken sandwich The chain's sandwich is served with only pickles on a buttered sandwich bun. This is because when Truett Cathy first served his "invention" to customers in 1946, the only condiments he had on hand were pickles.
In Ireland, the chicken fillet roll or chicken fillet baguette is a popular variant of chicken sandwich. It comprises a hot breaded fillet of chicken, sliced into strips and served in a demi-baguette with salad fillings such as lettuce and tomato.
Chicken salad sandwiches are prepared with chicken salad.
- BK grilled chicken sandwiches
- Hot Chicken sandwich
- List of sandwiches
- Sandwich wrap
- Food portal
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2014)|
- Fuller, Eva Greene (1909). The Up-to-date Sandwich Book: 400 Ways to Make a Sandwich. A. C. McClurg & Company. pp. 82-88.
- Media related to Chicken sandwiches at Wikimedia Commons
- Media related to Chicken sandwich at Wikimedia Commons
|This cuisine-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|