Banasura Sagar Dam
|Banasura Sagar Dam|
|Location||Wayanad, Kerala, India|
|Dam and spillways|
|Impounds||Tributary of the Kabini River|
|Capacity: tmc ft.|
Banasura Sagar Dam, which impounds the Karamanathodu tributary of the Kabini River, is part of the Indian Banasurasagar Project consisting of a dam and a canal project started in 1979. The goal of the project is to support the Kakkayam Hydro electric power project and satisfy the demand for irrigation and drinking water in a region known to have water shortages in seasonal dry periods.
In the dam's reservoir there is a set of islands that were formed when the reservoir submerged the surrounding areas. The islands with the Banasura hills in the background provide a spectacular view. It is the largest earth dam in India and the second largest of its kind in Asia. The dam is made up of massive stacks of stones and boulders.
The Banasura Sagar Dam is located 21 km from Kalpetta, in Wayanad District of Kerala in the Western Ghats. It is the largest earthen dam in India and the second largest in Asia and an ideal starting point for hikes into the surrounding scenic mountains. It is an important tourist attraction. Banasura Sagar Dam is at the foot of the Banasura Hill.
The dam has become a popular tourist destination. Many people visit the place to go trekking at the Banasura Hill. The Banasura Hill Resort, located about 20 km from the dam was rated as Asia's largest Earthen Resort by BBC. Speed & pedal boats are available & are major hits with tourists. Speed boat ride, in particular, is an exhilarating experience & not to be missed.
- "Government of Kerala Tenth Five Year Plan 2002-07 Report". Government of Kerala. Retrieved 2006-10-18.
- "Wayanad outdoor trails". wayanad.org. Archived from the original on 23 October 2006. Retrieved 2006-10-14.
- "Wayanad". Fast Finder Kerala. Retrieved 2006-10-14.
- "Banasura Sagar Dam". Retrieved 2013-02-11.
- "Statistical Data". Kerala Government. Retrieved 2006-10-14.
- "Places of Tourist Importance". Wayanad Government. Archived from the original on 2006-05-05. Retrieved 2006-10-14.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Banasura Sagar Dam.|
- Government of Kerala Tenth Five Year Plan 2002-07 Report of the Working Group on 'Water Resources & Environment - Approach, Policies and Reforms' (PDF)
- Official Web Site of Wayanad District