|Municipality and town|
|Elevation||780 m (2,560 ft)|
|• Official||Malayalam, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|PIN||673121 (Kalpetta Head PO), 673122 (Kalpetta North)|
|Vehicle registration||KL 12|
Kalpetta (Malayalam: കല്പറ്റ) is a town and a municipality in Wayanad district in the Indian state of Kerala. It is a small town surrounded by dense coffee plantations and mountains, is the headquarters of Wayanad district. It lies on the Kozhikode-Mysore National Highway (NH 212) at an altitude of about 780 m above sea level. Kalpetta is 72km from Kozhikode and 140km from Mysore. Apart from the administrative capital of the district, Kalpetta is also the center of tourism activities in Wayanad due to its central location within the district. There is a good number of hotels and resorts within and surrounding Kalpetta town.
As of 2001[update] India census, Kalpetta had a population of 29,602. Males constitute 50% of the population and females 50%. Kalpetta has an average literacy rate of 77%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 81%, and female literacy is 73%. In Kalpetta, 12% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Being the district headquarters, Kalpetta is home to a large number of government offices. Hence a large section of the population of Kalpetta are office-goers. Like elsewhere in Kerala, Hindus, Muslims and Christians live in harmony in Kalpetta. There is a significant Jain population also in Kalpetta.
How to Reach
Kalpetta has very good road connectivity with the rest of Kerala and neighboring South Indian cities. NH212 connects Kalpetta with Kozhikode and Mysore. State Highways connect Kalpetta with Ooty in Tamil Nadu and Madikeri in Karnataka.
Kalpetta – Bangalore (280 KM): Sulthan Bathery – Muthanga - Gundalpet - Mysore(NH212)(Night travel not allowed)
Kalpetta – Bangalore (312KM): Mananthavadi - Kutta- Mysore (Night travel allowed)
Kalpetta - Mysore : 140KM via Sulthan Bathery (NH212 - No Night Travel), 172KM via Mananthavadi.
Kalpetta – Ooty (127KM) : Meppadi – Gudalur
Kalpetta – Madikeri (135KM): Manathavadi- Kutta
Kalpetta - Kannur (123KM) : Mananthavadi - Koothuparamba
Kalpetta - Malappuram (99KM) : Thamarassery - Areekkode - manjeri
Kalpetta - Kozhikode (72KM) : Vythiri - Thamarassery
Wayanad district is not connected by rail network. Nearest railway station is Kozhikode (72KM from Kalpetta).
Nearest airport is Calicut International Airport, 100KM from Kalpetta. The feasibility study for a mini-airport near Panamaram (20 KM from Kalpetta) is currently undergoing.
- Wayanad Ghat Road View Point - 16 km
- Chain Tree - 16
- Pookode Lake - 10 km south
- Banasura Sagar Dam - 24 km - considered the largest earthen dam in India
- Soochipara Falls 20 km
- Chembra Peak - 17 km - a 2100 meter peak, the highest in the area
- Edakkal Caves - 28 km
- Meenmutty Falls - 25 km - 2 km jungle hike to spectacular waterfall
- Neelimala View Point - 27 km
- Chethalayam Falls - 37 km
- Pakshipathalam - 71 km
- Muthanga Wildlife Sanctuary - 42 km
- Tholpetty Wildlife Sanctuary - 59
- Jain Temple - 24
- Wayanad Heritage Museum, Ambalavayal - 25 km
- Uravu - 12 km
- Pallikkunnu Church - 19 km
- Korome Mosque - 47 km
- Paingatteri Agraharam - 28 km
- Pazhassi Raja's Tomb - 35 km
- Valliyoorkav Bhagavathi Temple - 24 km
- Seetha Lava-Kusha Temple - 50 km
- Thrissilery Shiva Temple - 50 km
- Thirunelli Temple - 64 km
- Papanasini, Thirunelli - 64 km
- Sentinel Rock Falls - 23 km
- Kanthanpara Falls - 22 km
- Sunrise Valley - 22 km
- RARS (Regional Agricultural Research Station) - 25 km
- Phantom Rock - 26 km
- Karapuzha Dam - 40 km
- Kuruva Island - 40 km
- Karalad Lake - 16 km
- Brahmagiri - a 1608 meter peak (Actually, situated with in borders of Karnataka State)
The Wayanad dairy of Milma (Kerala Co-operative Milk Marketing Federation) is situated at Chuzhali within Kalpetta Municipal Limits. This dairy processes over 100,000 liters of milk daily and markets it in Wayanad, Kozhikode and Malappuram districts. The dairy also manufactures high quality ghee which is exported to the Middle East countries.
There is a Mini Industries Park promoted by Kinfra at Kalpetta. Several small scale industries function out of this Park.
Trade and Shopping
Kalpetta is one of the major markets for agricultural produces.
In recent times, major jewellery, electronics and hypermarket retail chains of Kerala has setup stores in Kalpetta. Hence there are plenty of options available for shopping.
Local Administration : Kalpetta is the only municipality in Wayanad district. Currently, Mr PP ALI of UDF is the Chairman of Kalpetta Municipality. Kalpetta is also the headquarters of Kalpetta Block Panchayath and Wayanad District Panchayath.
Kerala Legislative Assembly : Kalpetta constituency is currently represented by Mr. MV Sreyams Kumar MLA.
Lok Sabha : Kalpetta is part of the Wayanad Lok Sabha constituency. Mr. M I Shanavas is the current MP.
- Kerala Veterinary and Animal Sciences University headquartered at Pookkode (14KM from Kalpetta) offers various courses in Veterinary and Animal Sciences.
- Oriental School of Hotel Management located at Lakkidi (15KM from Kalpetta) offers various hotel management courses.
- DM Wayanad Institute of Medical sciences (WIMS) located at Meppadi (15KM) is the only Medical College in Wayanad district.
- Government Polytechnic College, Meppadi offers diploma courses in various engineering branches.
Arts and Science Colleges:
- NMSM Government College, Kalpetta
- WMO Arts & Science College, Muttil
- Green Mount Arts & Science College, Padinjarethara
- PM Charitable Trust, Arts & Science College, Meppadi
- WMO English Academy, Muttil
- SKMJ Higher Secondary School, Kalpetta
- NSS English Medium School, Kalpetta
- Kendriya Vidyalaya, Kalpetta
- De Paul Public School, Kalpetta
- MCF Public School, Kalpetta
- St Joseph's Convent School, Kalpetta
- Government Higher Secondary School, Munderi, Kalpetta
- Al Falah English Medium School, Kalpetta
Major Institutions/Offices in Kalpetta
- Civil Station, houses the offices of District Collector, Regional Transport Officer (RTO), Deputy Director of Education(DDE), District Education Officer (DEO), District Treasury, District Tourism Promotion Council (DTPC) and few other district level offices.
- District Court Complex, houses the District & Sessions Court, additional district courts, Chief Judicial Magistrate Court, Munsiff's Court, Motor Accidents Claims Tribunal, Family Court and Judicial First Class Magistrate Court.
- District Police Chief's Office
- Coffee Board Kerala Region Office
- Spices Board Regional Office
- South Wayanad Forest Division Headquarters
- BSNL Bhavan (Wayanad Division Office)
- Doordarshan and All India Radio Relay Centers
- Government General Hospital
- Fatima Mata Mission Hospital
- Leo Hospital
- Krupa Nursing Home
- KJ Trust Hospital
- Government District Ayurveda Hospital
- "Kalpetta". india9. Retrieved 2006-10-14.
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- "India Travel Blog". PaintedStork.com. Retrieved 2006-10-14.
- "Wayland Outdoor Trail". wayland.org. Retrieved 2006-10-14.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kalpetta.|