|Municipality and town|
Civil Station, administrative headquarters of Wayanad District, at Kalpetta
|• Total||40.74 km2 (15.73 sq mi)|
|Elevation||780 m (2,560 ft)|
|• Density||780/km2 (2,000/sq mi)|
|• Official||Malayalam, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|PIN||673121 (Kalpetta Head PO), 673122 (Kalpetta North)|
|Telephone code||+91 4936|
Kalpetta is a town and a municipality in Wayanad district in the Indian state of Kerala. Kalpetta is the headquarters of Wayanad district as well as the headquarters of Vythiri taluk. It is a bustling town surrounded by dense coffee/tea plantations and mountains. It lies on the Kozhikode-Mysore National Highway NH 766 (Old NH 212) at an altitude of about 780 m above sea level. Kalpetta is 72 km from Kozhikode and 140 km from Mysore. Apart from the administrative capital of the district, Kalpetta is also the center of tourism activities in Wayanad due to its central location within the district. There is a good number of hotels and resorts within and surrounding Kalpetta town.
- 1 Etymology
- 2 History
- 3 Demographics
- 4 People
- 5 How to Reach
- 6 Railway
- 7 Airport
- 8 Notable landmarks
- 9 Tourist attractions
- 10 Major Institutions/Offices in Kalpetta
- 11 Industries
- 12 Trade and Shopping
- 13 Politics
- 14 Education
- 15 Hospitals
- 16 See also
- 17 References
It is believed that the early Jain residents who migrated from Karnataka have named the place "Kalpetta". In Kannada, the words "Kal" and "Pettah" means "deposits of stones". Rocks -large and small- are found throughout the landscape of Kalpetta. Hence the name.
Kalpetta was under the rule of Western Ganga dynasty until AD930. Through ages this region fell into the rule of Hoysala Empire, Vijayanagara Empire, and Kingdom of Mysore. Pazhassi Raja was the next to rule the region. Kalpetta Nair administered the place as the representative for Pazhassi Raja. Mysorean invasion of Kerala made Kalpetta a part of Tipu Sultan's empire. This continued until the demise of Tipu Sultan. Along with the rest of Malabar, Kalpetta also came under British rule after Tipu Sultan's demise.
In Wayanad, the Indian independence movement started first at Kalpetta. The first political conference was held in 1921 under the leadership of Dharmaraja Iyer. K. P. Kesava Menon and A. K. Gopalan participated in this meeting. Formation of the committee of Indian National Congress also occurred around the same time. Father of the nation, Mahatma Gandhi visited Kalpetta on 1934 January 14.
Kalpetta became the headquarters when Wayanad district was formed on 1 November 1980. Kalpetta was still a Village Panchayath when it became district headquarters and it attained Municipality status on 1 April 1990.
Being the district headquarters, Kalpetta is home to a large number of government offices. Besides, the district level offices of Media Houses, Political Parties etc. also function out of Kalpetta. Hence a large section of the population of Kalpetta are office-goers. Like elsewhere in Kerala, Hindus, Muslims and Christians live in harmony in Kalpetta. There is a significant Jain population also in Kalpetta.
How to Reach
Kalpetta has very good road connectivity with the rest of Kerala and neighboring South Indian cities. NH212 connects Kalpetta with Kozhikode and Mysore. State Highways connect Kalpetta with Ooty in Tamil Nadu and Madikeri in Karnataka.
Kalpetta – Bangalore (280 KM): Sulthan Bathery – Gundlupet - Mysore(NH212)(Night travel not allowed)
Kalpetta – Bangalore (312KM): Mananthavadi - Kutta- Mysore (Night travel allowed)
Kalpetta - Mysore : 140KM via Sulthan Bathery (NH212 - No Night Travel), 172KM via Mananthavadi, Kutta.
Kalpetta – Ooty (127KM) : Meppadi – Gudalur
Kalpetta – Madikeri (135KM): Manathavadi- Kutta
Kalpetta - Kannur (123KM) : Mananthavadi - Koothuparamba
Kalpetta - Malappuram (99KM) : Thamarassery - Areekkode - Manjeri
Kalpetta - Kozhikode (72KM) : Vythiri - Thamarassery
Wayanad district is not connected by rail network. Nearest railway station is Kozhikode railway station (72KM from Kalpetta). Indian Railways' computerised reservation counter is available at Friends Janasevana Kendram in Civil Station. Reservation for any train can be done from here.
Nearest airport is Calicut International Airport, 100KM from Kalpetta.
Mahatma Gandhi Museum
The Gandhi Memorial Museum and Library in Kalpetta is a boarding house near the Jain Temple where Gandhiji took rest during his visit. The museum is located at Puliyarmala, about 4 km from Kalpetta town-center.
Puliyarmala Jain Temple
M S Swaminathan Research Foundation
A regional centre of M.S. Swaminathan Research Foundation (MSSRF) is located at Puthoorvayal, about 3 km from Kalpetta town-ceter. The Centre was established to promote community conservation systems of rural and tribal people through research, extension and advocacy. Centre works in partnership with rural and farming communities for sustainable agricultural and rural development. Operational area of the Centre is confined to the Western Ghats regions in Kerala. The Botanic Garden and Butterfly Garden at the centre attracts a lot of visitors and students. Many rare and endangered species as well as plants local to the Western Ghats can be found in the Botanic Garden.
Regional Coffee Research Station (RCRS)
The Regional Coffee Research Station, Wayanad is situated near Chundale within Kalpetta municipal limits. This establishment is under the Coffee Board of India. The primary objective of this station is to develop appropriate technologies to suit the region where robusta is the dominant crop. Kerala is reckoned as the second largest coffee producing state in the country with robusta variety of coffee, and majority of coffee production of Kerala is from Wayanad. The station covers an area of 116 hectares (290 acres) with 30 hectares (74 acres) of farm with an adequate laboratory support for research.
The RCRS is a sub-center of Central Coffee Research Institute based at Chikmagalur district of Karnataka.
Myladippara Trekking Centre
Myladippara is a cliff located to the east of Civil Station, adjacent to the new NH bypass road. Trek to the Myladippara offers a charming experience.
- Wayanad Ghat Road View Point - 16 km
- Chain Tree - 16
- Pookode Lake - 10 km south
- Banasura Sagar Dam - 24 km - considered the largest earthen dam in India
- Soochipara Falls 20 km
- Chembra Peak - 17 km - a 2100 meter peak, the highest in the area
- Edakkal Caves - 28 km
- Meenmutty Falls - 25 km - 2 km jungle hike to spectacular waterfall
- Neelimala View Point - 27 km
- Chethalayam Falls - 37 km
- Pakshipathalam - 71 km
- Muthanga Wildlife Sanctuary - 42 km
- Tholpetty Wildlife Sanctuary - 59
- Jain Temple - 24
- Wayanad Heritage Museum, Ambalavayal - 25 km
- Uravu - 12 km
- Pallikkunnu Church - 19 km
- Korome Mosque - 47 km
- Paingatteri Agraharam - 28 km
- Pazhassi Raja's Tomb - 35 km
- Valliyoorkav Bhagavathi Temple - 24 km
- Seetha Lava-Kusha Temple - 50 km
- Thrissilery Shiva Temple - 50 km
- Thirunelli Temple - 64 km
- Papanasini, Thirunelli - 64 km
- Sentinel Rock Falls - 23 km
- Kanthanpara Falls - 22 km
- Sunrise Valley - 22 km
- RARS (Regional Agricultural Research Station) - 25 km
- Phantom Rock - 26 km
- Karapuzha Dam - 40 km
- Kuruva Island - 40 km
- Karalad Lake - 16 km
- Brahmagiri - a 1608 meter peak (Actually, situated with in borders of Karnataka State)
Major Institutions/Offices in Kalpetta
- Civil Station, houses the offices of District Collector, Regional Transport Officer (RTO), Deputy Director of Education(DDE), District Education Officer (DEO), District Treasury, District Panchayath, District Tourism Promotion Council (DTPC) and few other district level offices.
- District Court Complex, houses the District & Sessions Court, Additional District Courts, Chief Judicial Magistrate Court, Munsiff's Court, Motor Accidents Claims Tribunal, Family Court and Judicial First Class Magistrate Court.
- District Police Chief's Office. Also houses the offices of DYSPs for Administration, District Special Branch, District Crime Records Bureau, Narcotic Cell, and Crime Detachment. The Armed Reserve Camp is situated at Puthoorvayal, 3 km from Kalpetta town-center.
- Public Works Department (PWD) district offices for Roads division and Buildings division.
- Coffee Board Kerala Region Office
- Spices Board Regional Office
- South Wayanad Forest Division Headquarters
- BSNL Bhavan (Wayanad Telecom Division Office)
- District Library
- Wayanad Press Club
- Doordarshan and All India Radio Relay Centers
The Wayanad dairy of Milma (Kerala Co-operative Milk Marketing Federation) is situated at Chuzhali within Kalpetta Municipal Limits. This dairy processes over 100,000 liters of milk daily and markets it in Wayanad, Kozhikode and Malappuram districts. The dairy also manufactures high quality ghee which is exported to the Middle East countries.
There is a Mini Industries Park promoted by Kinfra at Kalpetta. Several small scale industries function out of this Park.
Tourism and hospitality industry experienced a boom in recent years. This has led to mushrooming of resorts throughout Wayanad, with the largest concentration of hotels and resorts at Kalpetta and adjoining areas within Vythiri taluk.
Kalpetta is the banking capital of Wayanad. Lead District Bank of Wayanad is Canara Bank and the Lead Bank office is situated at Kalpetta. India's largest bank State Bank of India has two branches in the municipal area (Kainatty and Kalpetta). The premier bank of Kerala State Bank of Travancore also has two branches - Specialised Gold Point Branch apart from the regular branch. There is a total of 20 branches of scheduled banks in Kalpetta, excluding Gramin and Co-operative banks. Kerala Gramin Bank has a branch and a Regional Office at Kalpetta. The head office of Wayanad District Co-operative Bank is at Kalpetta. Kerala State Co-operative Bank has its Wayanad branch at Kalpetta. The Wayanad Region office of Kerala State Co-operative Agricultural and Rural Development Bank Ltd is also at Kalpetta.
Trade and Shopping
Kalpetta is one of the major trade centers in Kerala for agricultural produces. Kalpetta is one of 18 markets that the VFPCK (Vegetable and Fruit Promotion Council Keralam) tracks and publishes vegetable/fruit prices. Coffee price prevailing at Kalpetta market is published in all Malaylam newspapers and also in business newspapers such as the Economic Times.
In recent times, major jewellery, electronics and hypermarket retail chains of Kerala have setup stores in Kalpetta. Well known store chains like Francis Alukkas, Malabar Gold, Chemmannur Gold, Grand Fresh Hypermarkets, Kannankandy Electronics, Whitemart Electronics, TBS Books and Beyond etc. are present at Kalpetta.
All of Kerala's leading book publishers have outlets at Kalpetta. Outlets of Current Books, National Book Stall (NBS), Mathrubhumi Books, Deshabhimani Books and Poorna Publications (TBS) can be found here.
Car dealerships serving Wayanad are located in the Kalpetta North subsurbs between Kainatty and Kakkavayal.
Local Administration : Kalpetta is the only municipality in Wayanad district. Currently, Mr PP ALI of UDF is the Chairman of Kalpetta Municipality. Kalpetta is also the headquarters of Kalpetta Block Panchayath and Wayanad District Panchayath.
Kerala Legislative Assembly : Kalpetta constituency is currently represented by Mr. MV Sreyams Kumar MLA.
Lok Sabha : Kalpetta is part of the Wayanad Lok Sabha constituency. Mr. M I Shanavas is the current MP.
- Kerala Veterinary and Animal Sciences University and College of Veterinary and Animal Sciences at Pookode (14KM from Kalpetta) offers various courses in Veterinary and Animal Sciences.
- Oriental School of Hotel Management located at Lakkidi (15KM from Kalpetta) offers various hotel management courses.
- Oriental College of Hotel Management and Culinary Arts at Vythiri (8KM from Kalpetta) offers courses in hotel management and culinary arts.
- DM Wayanad Institute of Medical sciences (WIMS) located at Meppadi (15KM) is the only Medical College in Wayanad district.
- Centre for Computer Science and Information Technology of Calicut University at Muttil offers MCA (Master of Computer Application) course.
- B.Ed Centre of Calicut University is situated at Kaniyambetta (10KM from Kalpetta).
- Fatima Mata Nursing School, Kalpetta offers courses in nursing.
- Government Polytechnic College, Meppadi offers diploma courses in various engineering branches.
- KMM Government ITI, Kalpetta offers various industrial training courses.
Arts and Science Colleges:
- NMSM Government College, Kalpetta
- WMO Arts & Science College, Muttil
- Green Mount Arts & Science College, Padinjarethara
- PM Charitable Trust, Arts & Science College, Meppadi
- Kendriya Vidyalaya, Kalpetta
- WMO English Academy, Muttil
- SKMJ Higher Secondary School, Kalpetta
- NSS English Medium School, Kalpetta
- De Paul Public School, Kalpetta
- MCF Public School, Kalpetta
- St Joseph's Convent School, Kalpetta
- Government Higher Secondary School, Munderi, Kalpetta
- Al Falah English Medium School, Kalpetta
- Kristhuraja Public School, Vellaramkunnu
- KeyPees International School, Ootty Road, Kunnumpatta
- Government General Hospital
- Fatima Mata Mission Hospital
- Leo Hospital
- Krupa Nursing Home
- Amritakrupa Charitable Hospital
- KJ Trust Hospital
- DM WIMS Urban Medical Centre - this is a unit of DM WIMS Medical College. Their campus at Meppadi offers tertiary care.
- Ahaliya Foundation Eye Hospital
- Dr Shankar Speech and Hearing Hospital
- Government District Ayurveda Hospital
- Kannur Ayurvedic Multi specialty hospital and Yoga Research Centre
- Nirmala Ayurvedic Hospital
- "Kalpetta". india9. Retrieved 2006-10-14.
- "Taluks of Kerala". wikipedia. Retrieved 2014-01-28.
- "Kalpetta History". kalpettamunicipality. Retrieved 2014-01-29.
- "Kalpetta Census 2011 data". censusindia. Retrieved 2014-01-29.
- "Night traffic ban at Bandipur extended from 9 to 12 hours". deccanherald. Retrieved 2014-01-28.
- "India Travel Blog". PaintedStork.com. Retrieved 2006-10-14.
- "Wayland Outdoor Trail". wayland.org. Retrieved 2006-10-14.
- "Market Price". vfpck. Retrieved 2014-01-28.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kalpetta.|