Forest Acres, South Carolina
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2014)|
|Forest Acres, South Carolina|
Location in Richland County and the state of South Carolina.
|• Total||5.0 sq mi (12.9 km2)|
|• Land||4.6 sq mi (11.9 km2)|
|• Water||0.4 sq mi (1.0 km2)|
|Elevation||253 ft (77 m)|
|• Density||2,100/sq mi (800/km2)|
|Time zone||EST (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1222485|
Forest Acres is located at (34.038687, -80.967446).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 5.0 square miles (12.9 km2), of which 4.6 square miles (11.9 km2) is land and 0.39 square miles (1.0 km2), or 7.46%, is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 10,558 people, 4,987 households, and 2,842 families residing in the city. The population density was 2,300.9 people per square mile (888.1/km²). There were 5,232 housing units at an average density of 1,140.2 per square mile (440.1/km²). The racial makeup of the city is 80.87% White, 15.52% African American, 0.19% Native American, 1.16% Asian, 0.01% Pacific Islander, 1.02% from other races, and 1.22% from two or more races. 2.54% of the population are Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 4,987 households out of which 22.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 44.0% were married couples living together, 10.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 43.0% were non-families. 37.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 15.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.09 and the average family size was 2.76.
In the city the population was spread out with 19.9% under the age of 18, 6.6% from 18 to 24, 27.6% from 25 to 44, 23.7% from 45 to 64, and 22.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 42 years. For every 100 females there were 81.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 77.1 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $46,628, and the median income for a family was $62,026. Males had a median income of $38,277 versus $31,438 for females. The per capita income for the city was $29,907. About 5.2% of families and 7.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 12.0% of those under age 18 and 3.9% of those age 65 or over.
The town of Forest Acres is governed by a mayor and four councilmen elected to four-year terms.
Mayor: Frank J. Brunson- served on town council since July 1, 1995; term expires in 2015
Council members:
- Roy "Beau" Powell-served on town council since July 1, 2013; term expires in 2017
- Ginger Dukes- term expires in 2015
- Mayor Pro-Tem: Curtis L. Rye Jr.- served on town council since July 1, 1997; term expires 2015
- Shell Suber Jr.-term expires 2017
- Jordan Anderson, NASCAR driver
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Forest Acres city, South Carolina". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved January 14, 2013.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.