|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (September 2011)|
(by Google in July, 2010)
|Founders||Danny Hillis, Robert Cook|
|Headquarters||San Francisco, California, USA|
|Key people||Kurt Bollacker, chief scientist
Danny Hillis, chairman
Thomas Layton, CEO
Robert Cook, EVP, product development
John Giannandrea, CTO
|Products||Freebase — an online database|
Metaweb Technologies, Inc. was a San Francisco-based company that developed Freebase, described as an "open, shared database of the world's knowledge". The company, founded by Robert Cook and Danny Hillis in 2005, was acquired by Google in 2010. Although Metaweb no longer exists as a separate corporate entity, Freebase and its associated website freebase.com continue to be provided as an open database under Metaweb's original CC-BY licensing terms.
On March 14, 2006, Metaweb received $15 million in funding. Investors included: Benchmark Capital, Millennium Technology Ventures, and Omidyar Network. Kevin Harvey of Benchmark Capital is a member of Metaweb's board of directors. On January 15, 2008, Metaweb announced a $42.5 million Series B round led by Goldman Sachs and Benchmark Capital.
On July 16, 2010, Google acquired Metaweb for an undisclosed sum.
- Radar Networks — developers of semantic web applications for the general public
- DBpedia - community effort to extract semantic information from Wikipedia
- Web 2.0
- Semantic Web
- Metaweb announces hiring of Thomas Layton, CEO
- Markoff, John (2007-03-09). "Start-Up Aims for Database to Automate Web Searching". The New York Times. Retrieved 2008-03-26.
- "Metaweb joins Google" (Press release). Metaweb. 2010-07-16. Retrieved 2010-07-16.
- "Metaweb Technologies, Inc. Receives $15 Million of Financing From Benchmark Capital, Millennium Technology Ventures and Omidyar Network" (Press release). Benchmark Capital. 2006-03-13. Retrieved 2007-03-09.
- Metaweb Raises $42.5 Million led by Goldman Sachs and Benchmark Capital (company press release)
- Deeper Understanding with Metaweb (company press release)
- Freebase — Metaweb's online database