Meebo's homepage as of December 2011.
"Together is Better"
|Type of site||Social networking service|
|Created by||Sandy Jen
|Alexa rank||25,800 (April 2013[update])|
|Current status||Acquired by Google as a companion to Google+. All products have been discontinued except Meebo Bar which is generally seen as a nuisance on third party websites.|
Meebo was an advertising-supported embedded social media platform. It began in 2005 as a browser based instant messaging program which supported multiple IM services, including Yahoo! Messenger, Windows Live Messenger, AIM, ICQ, MySpaceIM, Facebook Chat, Google Talk, CafeMom, Zorpia, and others.
Meebo received funding from Sequoia Capital on December 15, 2005. Meebo includes features such as invisible sign on (to prevent others from knowing when a user connects) and simultaneous connections to multiple IM services. Early angel investors in Meebo include Auren Hoffman and Marc Andreessen.
On August 2, 2006, Meebo launched the "meebo me" widget, which allows users to embed a version of Meebo on their personal website. Additionally, on October 11, 2006, they announced a partnership with Amie Street to include the "meebo me" widget on each Amie Street user page.
Meebo allows some people who are behind firewalled networks (networks that block the various instant messaging protocols but have not blocked the meebo.com domain name) to connect to instant messaging services due to the fact the user connects to only port 443 (HTTPS) and the Meebo service itself then connects to the various instant messaging protocols.
- As of 14 May 2007, Meebo incorporated "Meebo Rooms". Users of Meebo can connect to chat rooms or host their own for which multiple friends can join and chat. Meebo Rooms also grants a degree of control to the user with invite and ban authority. Classic Meebo was updated to reflect the release prior to Meebo Rooms to allow users with outdated browsers to continue to use meebo.
- On 10 September 2007, Meebo announced support for file transfers between users.
- In April 2008, Meebo secured $25M in venture capital funding.
- In November 2008, Meebo launched Meebo for Android.
- In December 2008, Meebo added support for two new IM networks, Myspace IM and Facebook Chat.
- In December 2009, Meebo launched Meebo Bar, a gadget that let visitors use Meebo from the bottom of a webpage. It replaces Community IM.
- In February 2010, Meebo launched Meebo for iPhone and iPod Touch.
- In May 2010, the original Meebo Rooms service was discontinued as Meebo believed that it no longer fit their core mission of connecting users with their closest friends. The old public rooms remained online, but could only be accessed by users who added the room to their friends list before the service was discontinued. User responses to the change have been overwhelmingly negative, with many describing the rooms as places that allowed them to create meaningful friendships or as the primary reason that they used Meebo. Since the change, the service, which previously featured several active communities, has fallen into disuse. Users can still create private rooms which are password-protected, non-searchable, and require them to invite their friends.
- In September 2010, Meebo launched Meebo for BlackBerry.
- In December 2010, Meebo secured another $27.5M in venture capital funding. This brings their total funding amount to around $70M.
- In August 2011, Meebo announced that all rooms would cease to be available in October 2011. No explanation for the cancellation was given, and user response was overwhelmingly negative.
- In November 2011, Meebo announced it reached 250 million monthly global visitors.
- In November 2011, Meebo went through major changes including new features and a new logo.
- On June 4, 2012 Meebo announced through Meebo Blog that they "have entered into an agreement to be acquired by Google".
- On July 11, 2012, all of Meebo's products, except for the Meebo Bar, were discontinued. 
- On June 6, 2013, the Meebo Bar will be discontinued.
In 2010, Meebo was recognized as one of 69 "Hottest Silicon Valley Companies" by Lead411.
Social integration 
Meebo has been integrated into many Social Networking sites for IM features between users. The Meebo look will have changed and be replaced by the site's branding, but still uses Meebo's API's.
Bebo Chat, was launched in 2011, which allows users to chat to other users via Meebo's IM bar. Users can also update their 'Saying' and show their availability status, as well as have access to other links to Bebo's pages, and special offers. It also provides a link for users to visit Bebo's fan page on Facebook, where they can 'Like' their page and receive updates.
- Torkington, Nat (12 July 2006). "A Week in the Valley: Meebo". O'Reilly Media. Retrieved 16 January 2012.
- Harris, Scott Duke (17 July 2008). "AMBITIOUS MEEBO PICKS UP PARTNERS - OFFERS WEB-BASED INSTANT-MESSAGING". San Jose Mercury News. Archived from the original on 14 January 2012.
- "Meebo.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2013-04-22.
- Gonsalves, Antone (1 February 2008). "Meebo Offers Tools To Embed Ad-Carrying Chat Rooms". InformationWeek. Retrieved 16 January 2012.
- "DOT-COM ON THE CHEAP / Startups shun forebears' excesses, and some workers even bring their own chairs". San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved 14 August 2012.
- "Meebo App Store link".
- "Meebo.com homepage about mobile phones clients".
- "Google Is Buying Meebo".
- Mat, Honan. "The Meebo Bar Is Now Slightly Less Terrible". Gizmodo. Retrieved 26 June 2012.
- "Sequoia Capital funds Meebo".
- "About Meebo". Retrieved 2006-12-21.
- Business Insider, Feb. 8, 2011: How Meebo Got Started And Its Strategy To Make The Web More Social
- meeblog » Blog Archive » Meebo and amie street sing a duet
- Amie Street - Music Lives Here - Independent Music Download Website
- "meebo's Impressive Growth". 2005-12-12. Retrieved 2007-01-26.
- meeblog » Blog Archive » release 24: Meebo rooms!
- "Meebo secures 25M in venture capital funding".
- meeblog » Blog Archive » new changes — rooms
- meeblog » Blog Archive » rooms update
- Recent Chat Logs from Gemini Chatroom
- Meebo Rooms
- "Content Sharing Provider Meebo Raises $25 Million".
- Meebo Announcement
- "Google is acquiring Meebo!". Retrieved June 4, 2012.
- "Google acquired Meebo". Retrieved June 5, 2012.
- "Meebo Discontinued Products". Meebo/Google. Retrieved 1 December 2013.
- "Meebo Bar Discontinued". Retrieved 6 May 2013.
- Announcing Facebook, PepsiCo, Meebo & Loreen Arbus Foundation as CoChairs for Awards
- Lead411 launches "Hottest Silicon Valley Companies" awards
- CEO Seth Sternberg Interview, Social Networking Watch, Nov 09
- Meebo application for the Android OS
- Meebo application for iPhone and iPod