Sault Sainte Marie Air Defense Sector
|Sault Sainte Marie Air Defense Sector|
Emblem of the Sault Sainte Marie Air Defense Sector
|Branch||United States Air Force|
|Part of||Air Defense Command|
The Sault Sainte Marie Air Defense Sector (SsmADS) is an inactive United States Air Force organization. Its last assignment was with the 30th Air Division, being stationed at K.I. Sawyer Air Force Base, Michigan.
SsmADS was established in November 1958 assuming control of former ADC Central Air Defense Force units in Wisconsin and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. The organization provided command and control over several aircraft and radar squadrons.
On 15 June 1960, the new Semi Automatic Ground Environment (SAGE) Direction Center (DC-14) became operational. DC-14 was equipped with dual AN/FSQ-7 Computers. The day-to-day operations of the command was to train and maintain tactical flying units flying jet interceptor aircraft (F-94 Starfire; F-102 Delta Dagger; F-106 Delta Dart) in a state of readiness with training missions and series of exercises with SAC and other units simulating interceptions of incoming enemy aircraft.
- Established as Sault Sainte Marie Air Defense Sector on 8 November 1958
- Inactivated on 15 December 1963
- 56th Fighter Wing (Air Defense)
- K. I. Sawyer AFB, Michigan, 1 February 1961-1 October 1963
- 507th Fighter Wing (Air Defense)
- Kincheloe AFB, Michigan, 1 February 1961-1 October 1963
- 56th Fighter Group (Air Defense)
- K. I. Sawyer AFB, Michigan, 1 April 1960-1 February 1961
- 507th Fighter Group (Air Defense)
- Kincheloe AFB, Michigan, 1 April 1960-1 February 1961
Interceptor squadron 
- Wurtsmith AFB, Michigan, 1 April 1960-15 July 1963
Missile squadron 
- 37th Air Defense Missile Squadron (BOMARC)
- Kincheloe AFB, Michigan, 1 April 1960-1 October 1963
Radar squadrons 
See also 
- List of USAF Aerospace Defense Command General Surveillance Radar Stations
- Aerospace Defense Command Fighter Squadrons
- A Handbook of Aerospace Defense Organization 1946 - 1980, by Lloyd H. Cornett and Mildred W. Johnson, Office of History, Aerospace Defense Center, Peterson Air Force Base, Colorado
- Winkler, David F. (1997), Searching the skies: the legacy of the United States Cold War defense radar program. Prepared for United States Air Force Headquarters Air Combat Command.
- Maurer, Maurer (1983). Air Force Combat Units Of World War II. Maxwell AFB, Alabama: Office of Air Force History. ISBN 0-89201-092-4.
- Ravenstein, Charles A. (1984). Air Force Combat Wings Lineage and Honors Histories 1947–1977. Maxwell AFB, Alabama: Office of Air Force History. ISBN 0-912799-12-9.
- Radomes.org Sault Sainte Marie Air Defense Sector