T. N. Seshagopalan
|Madurai T. N. Seshagopalan|
|Born||September 5, 1948|
|Genres||Carnatic music - Indian Classical Music|
Madurai Thirumalai Nambi Seshagopalan (born, September 5, 1948) is a noted Carnatic singer, musician and composer. As well as being a master of the veena and harmonium, he is an exponent of harikatha.
T. N. Seshagopalan was born in Nagapattinam, Tamil Nadu. He first learnt under his mother, and later under tutelage of Ramanathapuram C. S. Sankarasivan. He holds a degree in science from Madras University and a degree in music from Madurai Kamaraj University where he later served as professor of music.
He is proficient in rendering Harikatha and performs as per the guruparampara of Harikesanallur Muthiah Bhagavathar. Seshagopalan continues to increase his wide repertoire with compositions of his own. He is noted for his own elegant thillanas, bhajans, namavalis and abhangs. He is equally at home with North Indian ragas and has participated in several jugalbandhis.
In 1984 he was invited to sing at the Adelaide International Festival in Australia (and included performances Perth, Adelaide, Sydney and New Zealand). In 1987 he was India's cultural ambassador to Russia. He has performed in countries like Singapore, Malaysia, Bahrain and Sri Lanka and has visited and performed in the United States of America numerous times.
In 1983 he produced and played hero in a Tamil movie "Thodi Raagam".
Awards and titles
- Harikatha Chudamani awarded by the Krishna Gana Sabha in the presence of Sri Jayendra Saraswathi of Kanchi Kamakoti Peetam Sep 2014
- Gayaka Sikhamani awarded by Chodiah Memorial Trust Mysore in January 2007
- Sangeetha Kalanidhi 2006 awarded by Madras Music Academy
- Padma Bhushan - 2004
- "SangeetaSaagara" by CMANA,NJ,USA 2007
- Sulakshana Gana Vichkshana - by H. H. Srimad Andavan Swamigal Srirangam - 1993
- Sangeetha Kalasikhamani, by The Indian Fine arts Society, Chennai - 2000
- Kumaragandharva Rashtriya Sanmaan - Kumaragandhrva Foundation - Mumbai - 2002
- Nadhabrahmam - Indian Fine Arts - Texas - USA - 2002
- Musician of the Year 1999-2000 by Sangeet Natak Akademi
- President Award 2000 - by Sangeet Natak Academy, Central Government
- Tiruppugazh Mani in 1964
- Gana Bhoopathi by the Tamil Sangam of Olavakod in 1967
- Sangeetha Kala Sagaram by Sri Jayendra Saraswathi of Kanchi Kamakoti Peetam
- Kalaimamani by Tamil Nadu Government in 1984
- Isai Selvam by Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu, Mr. Karunanidhi.
- Isai Kalai Vendan by Australian Foundation of Canberra - 1998