.bar is an Internet domain that is specifically geared for bars, pubs and nightclubs, including bar and restaurant guides, critics, delivery services, wine and liquor, and related industries. It is a new gTLD that is owned by Mexico City-based company PUNTO 2012. Domain .BAR was released on June 11, 2014 and its launch is considered to be part of a new phase of the Internet, where domain endings are more defined and better categorised.
Original purpose of .bar domain
According to ICAN, intended use was geographical name for the City of Bar, Montenegro. In order to receive rights, Punto 2012 had to reach agreement with Montenegrin Municipality of Bar for the rights to exclusively exploit domain rights. Still, some organizations and companies from Bar, Montenegro use .bar domain instead of national .me.
The .BAR launch was divided into three phases: Trademark Holder (Sunrise), Priority Pre-Registration (Landrush) and General Availability. Each phase has specific application requirements:
Trademark Holders Registration - Sunrise
From April 9, 2014, at 18:00 UTC to June 8, 2014, at 18:00 UTC, trademark holders could submit an application to register a .BAR domain containing their owned mark, before it was available to the public.
Priority Pre-Registration - Landrush
From June 11, 2014, at 18:00 UTC to July 10, 2014, at 18:00 UTC, customers could purchase .Bar domain names at a premium price.
Beginning July 14, 2014, at 18:00 UTC, customers can register .BAR domain names on a first-come, first-served basis. Bulk .BAR registration is supported during General Availability. Multiple applications with different registrars are resolved on a first-come, first-served basis during this period.
.BAR domain names can have up to 63 characters. .BAR domains cannot be registered with special characters such as & and # in them.
The .BAR extension supports Latin IDN (Internationalized Domain Name) characters.
- "Restaurants and bars now have their own domain names". Fox News. 2014-06-17. Retrieved 2016-03-13.
- "Restaurants and Bars from All Over the World Make ".REST" and ".BAR" Domains a Key Ingredient to Their Success". Yahoo Finance. 3 September 2014. Archived from the original on 2014-12-30. Retrieved 16 March 2015.
- "Bar će sa meksičkom kompanijom zarađivati od domena .bar". Archived from the original on 2017-09-08. Retrieved 2017-09-08.
- "EuroDNS - What are the launch phases?". eurodns.com. Retrieved 16 March 2015.
- "About .BAR Domain Names". godaddy.com. Archived from the original on 2015-03-25. Retrieved 16 March 2015.
- "Restaurants and bars now have their own domain names". Fox News. June 17, 2014. Retrieved May 5, 2015.
- "Joel Robuchon and Rick Bayless snatch up .rest and .bar domain names". NY Daily News. July 11, 2014. Retrieved 7 May 2015.
- "Applications for domain endings .rest and .bar open". Hospitality. Archived from the original on 2015-07-26. Retrieved 7 May 2015.