2013 San Francisco Giants season
|2013 San Francisco Giants|
|Major League affiliations|
|Divisional place||tied for 3rd|
|Owner(s)||Larry Baer (managing general partner)|
|General manager(s)||Brian Sabean|
|Local television||KNTV (NBC Bay Area 11)|
(Jon Miller, Mike Krukow, Duane Kuiper)
CSN Bay Area
(Duane Kuiper, Mike Krukow, Dave Flemming, Jon Miller)
|Local radio||KNBR (680 AM)|
(Jon Miller, Dave Flemming, Duane Kuiper, Mike Krukow)
KTRB (860 AM, Spanish)
(Erwin Higueros, Tito Fuentes)
|< Previous season Next season >|
The 2013 San Francisco Giants season was the Giants' 131st year in Major League Baseball, their fifty-sixth year in San Francisco since their move from New York following the 1957 season, and their fourteenth at AT&T Park. They entered the season as the defending World Series Champions.
National League West
|Los Angeles Dodgers||92||70||0.568||—||47–34||45–36|
|San Diego Padres||76||86||0.469||16||45–36||31–50|
|San Francisco Giants||76||86||0.469||16||42–40||34–46|
National League Wild Card
|St. Louis Cardinals||97||65||0.599|
|Los Angeles Dodgers||92||70||0.568|
Wild Card teams|
(Top 2 qualify for 1-game playoff)
|San Diego Padres||76||86||0.469||14|
|San Francisco Giants||76||86||0.469||14|
|New York Mets||74||88||0.457||16|
Record vs. opponents
2013 National League Records
Source: NL Standings Head-to-Head
- November 1, 2012: The Giants decline to exercise a club option on IF Aubrey Huff and allow him to become a free agent.
- November 14, 2012: The Giants re-sign LHP Jeremy Affeldt to a three-year contract.
- November 30, 2012: The Giants tender contracts to arbitration-eligible players IF Joaquín Árias, OF Gregor Blanco, RHP Santiago Casilla, LHP José Mijares, OF Hunter Pence, C Buster Posey and RHP Sergio Romo. Injured RHP Brian Wilson is non-tendered and becomes a free agent.
- December 3, 2012: The Giants re-sign free agent OF Ángel Pagán to a four-year contract.
- December 4, 2012: The Giants re-sign free agent IF Marco Scutaro to a three-year contract.
- December 13, 2012: Free agent and former Giant OF Andrés Torres signs with the team on a one-year contract.
- January 17–18, 2013: The Giants avoid arbitration with José Mijares, Buster Posey, Hunter Pence, and Gregor Blanco by signing to one-year deals.
- January 25, 2013: The Giants claim INF Tony Abreu off waivers from Kansas City Royals.
- February 5, 2013: The Giants avoid arbitration with RHP Sergio Romo by agreeing to a two-year contract.
- March 29, 2013: The Giants and C Buster Posey come to terms on an 8-year contract with club option.
- March 31, 2013: Spring training concludes with newcomers RHP Chad Gaudin, IF Nick Noonan, and C Guillermo Quiróz added to the 25-man roster.
- May 20, 2013: RHP Ryan Vogelsong dislocates and fractures the pinky on his right hand while batting.
- May 25, 2013: OF Ángel Pagán hits an inside-the-park walk-off home run in the bottom of the 10th inning to beat the Colorado Rockies 6-5. Pagan is the first MLB player to complete this feat since Rey Sanchez for the Tampa Bay Rays on June 11, 2004, in a 10th-inning victory over the same Colorado Rockies. Pagan is also the first Giants player to do this since Bill Terry did it on August 24, 1931, when the New York Giants defeated the Chicago Cubs 2-1.
- June 25, 2013: OF Ángel Pagán undergoes surgery on a torn tendon in his left hamstring, sidelining him for approximately 12 weeks.
- July 2, 2013: The Giants are no-hit by Homer Bailey at Great American Ball Park in a 3-0 loss to the Cincinnati Reds.
- July 9, 2013: The Giants sign OF Jeff Francoeur to a minor-league deal, his contract was purchased four days later.
- July 13, 2013: RHP Tim Lincecum pitches the 15th no-hitter in Giants history at Petco Park against the San Diego Padres, the first of his career. Lincecum made 148 pitches, the second highest number of pitches in a no-hitter in MLB history, striking out 13 Padres.
- July 16, 2013: The 84th MLB All-Star Game takes place with LHP Madison Bumgarner, RHP Sergio Romo and IF Marco Scutaro being selected to their first All-Star rosters, and C Buster Posey to his second.
- August 22, 2013: RHP Matt Cain is struck with a batted ball while pitching, resulting in his being placed on the disabled list for the first time in his career.
- September 3, 2013: Highly regarded prospect RHP Heath Hembree makes his major league debut in a game at Petco Park.
- September 6, 2013: RHP Yusmeiro Petit pitches a one-hit shutout against the Arizona Diamondbacks. Petit was just one strike away from pitching a perfect game before pinch-hitter Eric Chavez singled.
- September 11, 2013: With a victory by the Reds in Cincinnati, the Giants are mathematically eliminated from postseason contention, thus becoming the 13th consecutive team to fail to defend their World Championship.
- September 28, 2013: It is reported that the Giants and OF Hunter Pence have agreed to a 5-year contract extension.
- September 29, 2013: As the regular season concludes, Hunter Pence becomes the first Giant of the San Francisco era to start all 162 games in a season.
- October 22, 2013: RHP Tim Lincecum agrees to a new 2-year contract, avoiding free agency.
Game log and schedule
All schedule and scores taken from MLB.com.
|Bold||Giants team member|
|2013 Game Log|
|2013 San Francisco Giants|
Stats in bold are team leaders. Pitchers are not included in the list. Note: G = Games played; AB = At bats; R = Runs scored; H = Hits; 2B = Doubles; 3B = Triples; HR = Home runs; RBI = Runs batted in; AVG = Batting average; OBP = On-base percentage; SLG = Slugging Percentage; OPS = On-base + Slugging percentage SB = Stolen bases
Note: W = Wins; L = Losses; ERA = Earned run average; G = Games pitched; GS = Games started; SV = Saves; IP = Innings pitched; H = Hits allowed; ER = Earned runs allowed; HR = Home runs allowed; BB = Walks allowed; K = Strikeouts
LEAGUE CHAMPIONS: AZL Giants
- At AT&T Park. The Giants wore their road uniforms and batted first in each inning. However, this counted as a home game for statistical purposes.
- "San Francisco Giants Schedule". MLB Advanced Media, L.P. Retrieved December 30, 2012.
- http://www.mercurynews.com/giants/ci_23655894/rained-out-san-francisco-giants-games-against-cincinnati, Alex. "Rained-out San Francisco Giants game against Cincinnati Reds will be played at AT&T Park". San Jose Mercury News. Retrieved July 20, 2013.
- "Giants, Reds swap roles in unusual doubleheader". MLB.com. Retrieved July 23, 2013.
- Leventhal, Josh, ed. (2013). Baseball America 2014 Almanac. Durham, North Carolina: Baseball America. ISBN 978-1-932391-48-0.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 2013 San Francisco Giants season.|