America's Next Top Model (cycle 17)
|America's Next Top Model (cycle 17)|
Cycle 17 cast
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of episodes||13|
|Original network||The CW|
September 14– December 7, 2011
|No. of contestants||14|
The seventeenth cycle of America's Next Top Model (subtitled as America's Next Top Model: All Stars and stylized as America's Next Top Model ALL ★ STARS) premiered on September 14, 2011 on The CW. It featured fourteen returning models from previous seasons.
The judging panel, unchanged since cycle 14, once again consisted of Tyra Banks, Nigel Barker and André Leon Talley. The first judging was conducted in front of a live audience. The international destination for this cycle was the Greek island of Crete. The promotional song for this cycle was "You Make Me Feel..." by Cobra Starship ft. Sabi. This was the final season filmed and broadcast in standard definition.
Angelea Preston, who originally placed third on cycle 14, and was disqualified from the competition in the final episode of the cycle, said that she had originally won the competition but was stripped of her title after producers learned that she had once worked as an escort.
- 1 Casting
- 2 Prizes
- 3 Contestants
- 4 Episodes
- 5 Summaries
- 6 Angelea's disqualification controversy
- 7 Cast members
- 8 Notes
- 9 References
- 10 External links
This season has been subtitled "All-Stars," featuring fourteen returning non-winning contestants representing twelve of the series' sixteen cycles (cycles 3, 6, 7 and 8 are not represented) for a second chance to win the title. Cycles 5 and 11 were each represented by two contestants. cycle 14 contestant Angelea Preston appeared for the third time in this cycle since she was also a semi-finalist on cycle 12. Most notably, Jade Cole, second runner-up of cycle 6, was offered (but rejected) the chance to appear in this cycle, claiming her contract was "bogus and one-sided."
In addition in these regular prizes, the new prizes were: A fashion campaign in Express, a guest correspondent placement for Extra, as revealed in episode 7, the chance to be the face of an ANTM-perfume to be launched and sold nationally.
The contract with IMG Models (present in the last 2 cycles) has been removed.
(ages stated are at start of contest)
|Contestant||Age||Hometown||Previous cycle||Previous place||Finish||Place|
|Brittany Brower||29||Tallahassee, Florida||4||4||Episode 1||14|
|Sheena Sakai||24||Harlem, New York||11||6||Episode 2||13|
|Isis King||25||Prince George's County, Maryland||11||10||Episode 3||12|
|Camille McDonald||33||Bronx, New York||2||5||Episode 4||11|
|Bre Scullark||26||Harlem, New York||5||3||Episode 6||10|
|Kayla Ferrel||20||Rockford, Illinois||15||4–3||Episode 7||9–8|
|Bianca Golden||22||Queens, New York||9||4|
|Alexandria Everett||22||Newport Beach, California||16||4||Episode 8||7|
|Shannon Stewart||26||Franklin, Ohio||1||2||Episode 9||6|
|Dominique Reighard||26||Columbus, Ohio||10||4||Episode 10||5|
|Laura Kirkpatrick||21||Stanford, Kentucky||13||2||Episode 12||4|
|Angelea Preston||24||Buffalo, New York||14||4–3||Episode 13||3 (DQ)|
|Allison Harvard||23||New Orleans, Louisiana||12||2||2|
|Lisa D'Amato||30||Los Angeles, California||5||6||1|
First aired September 14, 2011
- Featured photographer: Celeste Canino
- Special guest: Nicki Minaj, Michael Kanyon, The GAME, Phu Styles
First aired September 21, 2011
- Featured photographer: Ricky Middlesworth
- Special guests: Ashlee Simpson, Martin Lindstrom, Loretta Nero, Yoshi Hagiwara, Jada Fitzgerald, Craig Beaglehole
First aired September 28, 2011
- Featured photographer: Sarah Silver
- Special guests: Kristin Cavallari, Mario Lopez, Michael Kanyon, Trey Knight
First aired October 5, 2011
- Featured photographer: Alvaro Goveia
- Special guests: Anthony Zuiker, Robert David Hall, Lisa Gavales, Michael Kanyon
La Toya Jackson
First aired October 12, 2011
- Featured photographer: Tim Petersen
- Special guests: La Toya Jackson, Kim Kardashian, Kourtney Kardashian, Khloé Kardashian, Kris Jenner, Caitlyn Jenner (then Bruce),[a] Rushka Bergman, Fiona Stiles
First aired October 19, 2011
- Featured photographer: Douglas Friedman
- Special guests: Coco Rocha, Brittny Gastineau, Julie Henderson, Julian Edelman, Jahvid Best, Kareem Jackson, Dante Hughes, John Ruggiero, Anita Patrickson, Molly Stern
First aired October 26, 2011
- Featured photographer: Mike Rosenthal
- Special guests: Kathy Griffin, Eva Marcille, Ben Bennett, Glenn Nutley
First aired November 2, 2011
- Featured director: Gretchen Warthen
- Special guests: Keenan Cahill, Madison Hohrine, Tom Polce, Anita Patrickson, Adam (Lisa's Fiancé), Game
First aired November 9, 2011
- Featured photographer: Nikos Papadopoulos
- Special guests: Vicky Kaya, Maria Kafetzaki, Dimitris Kounenakis, Lina Fanouraki, Michael Cinco, Georgina Wilson
First airing November 16, 2011
- Featured photographer: Nigel Barker
- Special guests: Twylem Pyper, Maria Cristina Petrone, Michael Kanyon
First airing November 23, 2011
First airing November 30, 2011
- Featured director: Tony Croll
- Special guests: Franca Sozzani, Tyson Beckford, Michael Kanyon, Michael Cinco
First airing December 7, 2011
- Featured photographers: Nikos Papadopoulos, Dusan Reljin
- Special guests: Paige Cali, Michael Kanyon, Valentina Serra, Michael Cinco
- The contestant was eliminated
- The contestant was immune from elimination
- The contestant was disqualified from the competition
- The contestant was part of a non-elimination bottom two
- The contestant won the competition
- In episode 3, the team of Allison, Bianca, Shannon, Bre, Kayla & Camille were immune from elimination after their team won the reward challenge. At panel, the six immune girls were judged separately from the non-immune group.
- In episode 5, the call-out order was decided entirely by guest judge La Toya Jackson. No-one was eliminated.
- In episode 7, Lisa won immunity from elimination as her prize for winning the reward challenge; however, this did not influence her place in the call-out. Also, Bianca, Kayla and Shannon landed in the bottom three with both Bianca and Kayla being eliminated.
- In episode 9, Shannon did not participate in the photo shoot.
- Episode 11 was the recap episode.
- In episode 13, Angelea was disqualified prior to the final judging.
Photo shoot guide
- Episode 1 photo shoot: All-Star personality
- Episode 2 photo shoot: Pink's Hot Dogs
- Episode 3 photo shoot: Modeling on stilts in Pairs
- Episode 4 photo shoot: Express campaign with male models
- Episode 5 photo shoot: Michael Jackson tribute
- Episode 6 photo shoot: Catfights in a bar with Coco Rocha
- Episode 7 photo shoot: Reality stars on a motorbike
- Episode 8 music video: Pot Ledom viral videos
- Episode 9 photo shoot: Bench body underwear on a salad bowl
- Episode 10 photo shoot: Ancient Olympic athletes
- Episode 12 motion editorial: Tyra Banks' Modelland with Tyson Beckford
- Episode 13 photo shoot and commercial: CoverGirl Intense Shadow Blast print ad and Commercial, and Beauty in Vogue spread
Angelea's disqualification controversy
Following the finale, reports began to speculate regarding the disqualification of Angelea Preston. Due to the bizarre circumstances surrounding the event, including the re-shooting of the final panel/winner reveal, many people began to speculate that Preston had been originally named the winner prior to her disqualification. Multiple theories circulated on social media during the months following the finale.
In January 2013, Angelea confirmed that she had indeed won the competition prior to being stripped of the title, but it was not because she had revealed details of her win before it aired on television, as was most suspected. Tyra Banks did not comment on the situation.
In September 2014, Angelea revealed that the reason she was stripped of the title was because she had been working as an escort prior to participating in America's Next Top Model. She said the producers had been made aware of this before the filming of cycle 17, but decided to disqualify her only after she had already won the title. She is now filing a lawsuit against the producers, the network, and the studios due to breach of contract for $3,000,000 in damages. Other allegations in the lawsuit included that the show violated fair labor practices by forcing her and other contestants to work 16-hour days, sometimes without a meal break, keeping the contestants in isolation for five to six hours at a time, without food or water. Additionally, she alleged that she wasn't paid a legal hourly wage for her work, nor overtime wages. She also claimed that show staff failed to provide her with proper medical attention when she suffered a panic attack during filming.
- "THE CW NETWORK ANNOUNCES FALL 2011 PREMIERE DATES". The CW. June 20, 2011. Retrieved 2011-06-24.
- "An All-Star Cast of Fan Favorites From Past Cycles Return to Compete in ‘America’s Next Top Model’ on Wednesday, September 14 – Ratings | TVbytheNumbers". Tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com. 2011-08-04. Retrieved 2011-09-18.
- "Exclusive: Judges Are Judged On America's Next Top Model". rumorfix.com. June 1, 2011. Retrieved 2011-06-24.[dead link]
- "Spoiler: What's the International Destination for the Cycle 17 All-Stars?". Wetpaint.com. June 21, 2011. Archived from the original on July 2, 2011. Retrieved 2011-06-24.
- Eric Rezsnyak (2011-05-12). ""America's Next Top " All-Stars: The Cast Revealed!". City Newspaper. Retrieved 2011-06-24.
- sasha (2011-05-13). "Tyra Banks Reveals 'America's Next Top Model' All-Star Cast". Stylebistro.com. Archived from the original on July 16, 2011. Retrieved 2011-06-24.
- "America's Next Top Model Cast | Bios | Shannon". 2011-08-24. Archived from the original on August 24, 2011. Retrieved 2016-04-21.
- Tyra Banks (2011-10-14), America's Next Top Model Cycle 17 (All-Stars) – A Second Chance – Sheena, retrieved 2016-04-21
- Tyra Banks (2011-10-14), America's Next Top Model Cycle 17 (All-Stars) – A Second Chance – Isis, retrieved 2016-04-21
- Tyra Banks (2011-10-21), America's Next Top Model Cycle 17 (All-Stars) – A Second Chance – Bre, retrieved 2016-04-21
- Tyra Banks (2011-10-27), America's Next Top Model Cycle 17 (All-Stars) – A Second Chance – Kayla, retrieved 2016-04-21
- Tyra Banks (2011-10-21), America's Next Top Model Cycle 17 (All-Stars) – A Second Chance – Bianca, retrieved 2016-04-21
- Tyra Banks (2011-10-27), America's Next Top Model Cycle 17 (All-Stars)- A Second Chance – Alexandria, retrieved 2016-04-21
- Tyra Banks (2011-11-02), America's Next Top Model Cycle 17 (All-Stars) – A Second Chance – Shannon, retrieved 2016-04-21
- Tyra Banks (2011-11-02), America's Next Top Model Cycle 17 (All-Stars) – A Second Chance- Dominique, retrieved 2016-04-21
- Tyra Banks (2011-12-06), America's Next Top Model Cycle 17 (All-Stars) – A Second Chance – Laura, retrieved 2016-04-21
- Tyra Banks (2011-12-08), America's Next Top Model Cycle 17 (All-Stars) – A Second Chance – Allison, retrieved 2016-04-21
- Tyra Banks (2011-12-08), America's Next Top Model Cycle 17 (All-Stars) – A Second Chance – Lisa, retrieved 2016-04-21
- Gallo, Marissa (2011-09-14). ""America's Next Top Model" all-stars". The Baltimore Sun. Retrieved 2011-11-04.
- Gallo, Marissa (2011-09-21). "America's Next Top Model All-Stars makeovers". The Baltimore Sun. Retrieved 2011-11-04.
- Gallo, Marissa (2011-09-28). "America's Next Top Model All-Stars Extra interviews". The Baltimore Sun. Retrieved 2011-11-04.
- Gallo, Marissa (2011-10-05). "America's Next Top Model All-Stars CSI audition and Express photo shoot". The Baltimore Sun. Retrieved 2011-11-04.
- Gallo, Marissa (2011-10-12). "America's Next Top Model All-Stars pay homage to Michael Jackson". The Baltimore Sun. Retrieved 2011-11-04.
- Leibovitz, Annie (June 1, 2015). "Introducing Caitlyn Jenner". Vanity Fair. Retrieved June 1, 2015.
- Gallo, Marissa (2011-10-26). ""America's Next Top Model" create fragrances, pose as reality TV stars". The Baltimore Sun. Retrieved 2011-11-04.
- Gallo, Marissa (2011-03-23). "America's Next Top Model All-Stars music videos with Game". The Baltimore Sun. Retrieved 2011-11-04.
- Kattalia, Kathryn (2011-11-10). "'America's Next Top Model All-Stars' Episode 7 recap: Final six travel to Greece where they pose in an enormous bowl of salad". New York Daily News. Retrieved 2011-11-10.
- Yi, David (2011-11-17). "‘America’s Next Top Model: All Stars’ episode 10 recap: The fangs come out and Dominique is sent home". New York Daily News. Retrieved 2011-11-17.
- Bonner, Mehera (2011-11-23). "‘America’s Next Top Model: All Stars’ episode 11: Highlights". WetPaint. Retrieved 2011-11-30.
- Gallo, Marissa (2011-11-30). "ANTM All-Stars recap: Episode 11, I Am Tookie". Baltimore Sun. Retrieved 2011-12-01.
- Gallo, Marissa (2011-12-07). "ANTM All-Stars recap: Episode 12, 'And America's next top model all-star is ...'". Baltimore Sun. Retrieved 2011-12-08.
- "In Depth: Angelea Preston of 'America's Next Top Model' Reveals All ~ Sire Says".
- "America's Next Top Model All-Star – They Took My Crown Because I Was an Escort".
- Kernes, Mark. "Former Escort Sues Over 'America's Next Top Model' Top Pick". AVN.com. Adult Video News. Retrieved 19 December 2014.
- "PDF of filed complaint". AVN.com. Adult Video News. Retrieved 19 December 2014.