Assistant Bishop of Leicester
The Assistant Bishop of Leicester is an episcopal title used by the sole stipendiary assistant bishop (effectively suffragan bishop) of the Church of England Diocese of Leicester in the Province of Canterbury, England. The title takes its name as the bishop who assists the diocesan Bishop of Leicester. The role was created following the 1986 refusal of a request to create a suffragan bishop for the diocese, and has been filled since then only with ad hoc funding arrangements for four bishops already in episcopal orders. Boyle is the only incumbent to serve on a full time basis.
Christopher Boyle has been the Assistant Bishop of Leicester since 6 September 2009, having previously served in the Anglican Church of the Province of Central Africa as the last British diocesan Bishop of Northern Malawi for eight years (2001–2009).
On 26 November 2016, Leicester Diocesan Synod approved a proposal to replace the Assistant Bishop post with a new suffragan bishop role of Bishop of Loughborough, following Boyle's retirement in 2017, with the expectation that this could be completed by the end of that year.
List of bishops
|Assistant Bishops of Leicester|
|1995||2001||Bill Down||Formerly Bishop of Bermuda|
|2005||2007||John Austin||Retired Bishop of Aston|
|2009||present||Christopher Boyle||Formerly Bishop of Northern Malawi; retirement announced for 31 May 2017.|
- Anglican Communion — Leicester
- GS 2052 — Creation of suffragan see for the Diocese of Leicester p. 8, paragraphs 3 and 4 (Accessed 28 January 2017)
- "News: Bishop moves from Malawi to Leicester (Archived; subscription only)". Church Times (#7643). 11 September 2009. p. 6. ISSN 0009-658X. Retrieved 1 February 2016. (subscription required (. ))
- Conger – First African bishop of Northern Malawi consecrated
- Diocese of Leicester – Asst Bishop
- Diocese of Leicester — Synod supports creation of Suffragan Bishop (Accessed 19 December 2016)
- David Pocklington, "A new suffragan see for Loughborough" in Law & Religion UK, 30 November 2016, 
- The Memoir Club – Bill Down
- Diocese of Leicester — Christopher announces retirement (Accessed 20 January 2017)
|This Anglicanism-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|