Bishop of Loughborough
From 1987 to 2017, the Assistant Bishop of Leicester was an episcopal title used by the sole stipendiary assistant bishop (effectively suffragan bishop) of the Diocese of Leicester. The title took its name as the bishop who assisted the diocesan Bishop of Leicester. The role was created following the 1986 refusal of a request to create a suffragan bishop for the diocese, and was filled from then only with ad hoc funding arrangements for four bishops already in episcopal orders. Boyle was the only incumbent to serve on a full time basis.
On 26 November 2016, Leicester Diocesan Synod approved a proposal to replace the Assistant Bishop post with a new suffragan bishop role of Bishop suffragan of Loughborough, following Boyle's retirement in 2017, with the expectation that this could be completed by the end of that year. The proposal was accepted by General Synod in February 2017 and the See was erected by Order of the Privy Council on 12 April 2017.
It was announced on 11 July 2017 that Guli Francis-Dehqani has been appointed as the first Bishop of Loughborough. Francis-Dehqani previously led Curate Training in the Diocese of Peterborough, and was also Adviser for Women's Ministry for the diocese, a Canon at Peterborough Cathedral, and sits on General Synod.
List of bishops
|Assistant Bishops of Leicester|
|1995||2001||Bill Down||Formerly Bishop of Bermuda|
|2005||2007||John Austin||Retired Bishop of Aston|
|2009||2017||Christopher Boyle||Formerly the last British Bishop of Northern Malawi; from 6 September 2009; retired 31 May 2017.|
|Bishops of Loughborough|
|2017||present||Guli Francis-Dehqani||Consecrated 30 November 2017|
- Anglican Communion — Leicester
- GS 2052 — Creation of suffragan see for the Diocese of Leicester p. 8, paragraphs 3 and 4 (Accessed 28 January 2017)
- "News: Bishop moves from Malawi to Leicester (Archived; subscription only)". Church Times (#7643). 11 September 2009. p. 6. ISSN 0009-658X. Retrieved 1 February 2016. (Subscription required (help)).
- Diocese of Leicester — Synod supports creation of Suffragan Bishop (Accessed 19 December 2016)
- David Pocklington, "A new suffragan see for Loughborough" in Law & Religion UK, 30 November 2016, 
- Privy Council Office — Orders, 12 April 2017 (Accessed 27 April 2017)
- Diocese of Leicester - Persian woman appointed as first Bishop of Loughborough
- The Memoir Club – Bill Down
- Conger – First African bishop of Northern Malawi consecrated
- Diocese of Leicester – Asst Bishop
- Diocese of Leicester — Christopher announces retirement (Accessed 20 January 2017)
|This Anglicanism-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|