Bishop of Leicester
Bishop of Leicester
|Residence||Bishop's Lodge, Knighton|
|First holder||Cyril Bardsley|
Through reorganisation within the Church of England, the Diocese of Leicester was refounded in 1927, and St Martin's Church became Leicester Cathedral. The present bishop's residence is Bishop's Lodge, Knighton, south Leicester. Martyn Snow became Bishop of Leicester with the confirmation of his election on 22 February 2016.
Bishops of Leicester
|Bishops of Leicester|
|1927||1940||Cyril Bardsley||Translated from Peterborough|
|1940||1953||Guy Smith||Translated from Willesden|
|1979||1991||Richard Rutt||Translated from St Germans. Converted to Roman Catholicism in 1995.|
|1991||1999||Tom Butler||Translated from Willesden; later moved to Southwark|
|1999||11 July 2015||Tim Stevens||Translated from Dunwich|
|1 September 2015||22 February 2016||John Holbrook||Bishop of Brixworth, acting bishop|
|22 February 2016||present||Martyn Snow|| Previously Bishop of Tewkesbury.|
- For those full-time Assistant Bishops of Leicester who preceded the Bishop suffragan of Loughborough, see Bishop of Loughborough.
Other assistant (or coadjutor) bishops of the diocese include:
- 1935 – 1949 (ret.): John Willis, former Bishop of Uganda
- 1949 – 1955 (d.): Francis Hollis, Vicar of Stanford with Swinford, Leicestershire and Senior Canon of Leicester; former Bishop of Labuan and Sarawak
- 1972 – 1997 (d.): John Mort, former Bishop of Northern Nigeria (1952–1969), Canon Treasurer of Leicester Cathedral (1970–1988)
- 1966 – 1973 (ret.): Thomas Geoffrey Stuart Smith (surnamed Smith or Stuart-Smith; 28 February 1901 – 8 December 1981) was an assistant bishop while he was Rector of Swithland. He had previously served as: Chaplain of Ridley Hall, Cambridge (1928–1930); Vice-Principal of the Cambridge Nicholson Institute and Mission, Kottayam (1930–1939); Archdeacon of Mavelikara (1939–1947); Bishop of North Kerala (1947–1954); Vicar of Burwell, Cambridgeshire (1954–1960); and Rector of Danbury (1960–1966) and an assistant bishop in Chelmsford (1961–1966).
- "Historical successions: Leicester". Crockford's Clerical Directory. Retrieved 6 January 2012.
- Leicester Cathedral: History Archived 25 January 2012 at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved on 22 November 2008.
- "Martyn James Snow". Crockford's Clerical Directory (online ed.). Church House Publishing. Retrieved 4 October 2017.
- Diocese of Leicester — Martyn confirmed for Leicester Archived 17 March 2016 at Archive.today & photo on Twitter (Accessed 26 February 2016)
- Diocese of Leicester – Bishop Tim announces retirement Archived 19 November 2014 at Archive.today (Accessed 18 November 2014)
- Diocese of Leicester — Interim Bishop of Leicester[permanent dead link] (Accessed 30 June 2015)
- Diocese of Leicester — Welcome to the New Bishop of Leicester (Accessed 15 December 2015)
- Fryde et al. 1986, Handbook of British Chronology, p. 252.
- "Willis, John Jamieson". Who's Who. ukwhoswho.com. A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. (subscription or UK public library membership required)
- "Hollis, Francis Septimus". Who's Who. ukwhoswho.com. A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. (subscription or UK public library membership required)
- "Mort, John Ernest Llewelyn". Who's Who. ukwhoswho.com. A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. (subscription or UK public library membership required)
- "Smith, Thomas Geoffrey Stuart". Who's Who. ukwhoswho.com. A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. (subscription or UK public library membership required)
- "Assistant bishop of Chelmsford". Church Times (#5122). 14 April 1961. p. 1. ISSN 0009-658X. Retrieved 23 October 2019 – via UK Press Online archives.
- "Obituaries". Church Times (#6201). 18 December 1981. p. 4. ISSN 0009-658X. Retrieved 23 October 2019 – via UK Press Online archives.