A Coach USA bus in Newburgh, New York.
|Slogan||Driven to Be the Best!|
|Headquarters||160 Route 17 North
Paramus, NJ 07652
|Service area||New York, Pittsburgh, and Chicago metropolitan areas, Southern Tier of New York, southern Wisconsin|
|Service type||Local, commuter, charter, contract, and yellow school bus service, Megabus|
Northeast Division (excluding Megabus):
North Central Division (excluding Megabus and school buses):
|Operator||Various Coach USA companies, see Divisions below|
|Chief executive||Linda Burtwistle|
Coach USA, LLC is a holding company for various American transportation service providers providing scheduled intercity bus service, local and commuter bus transit, city sightseeing, tour, yellow school bus, and charter bus service. It is a subsidiary of the Stagecoach Group. Coach USA and sister company Coach Canada are the second-largest motorcoach operators in the US and Canada.
Coach USA traces its history back to 1922 as Lackawanna Bus and later Consolidated Bus Lines, a small outfit operating local service in Bergen County, New Jersey and later along the Jersey Shore and throughout the New York metropolitan area founded by Jim and Denis Gallagher. Community Coach, today the headquarters of Coach USA, began operations in 1958 under Denis's brother, John. The latter took over the operations of Consolidated Bus Lines, using the operating authority of another company that the Gallagher family had purchased in Paramus, New Jersey three years prior; through other acquisitions by the Gallagher family, six of these companies would become subsidiaries of Coach USA at its inception in 1995, when Frank Gallagher sold the firms to Notre Capital Ventures.
At its inception, Coach USA consisted of six companies: Suburban Trails, Community Coach, Leisure Line, and Adventure Trails in New Jersey, Gray Line of San Francisco, and Arrow Stage Line in Arizona (not to be confused with unaffiliated Arrow Stage Lines). Listing on the NASDAQ in 1996 under ticker TOUR, and later switching to the New York Stock Exchange under stock ticker CYI, Coach USA, under the leadership of Richard Kristinik, would expand quickly, acquiring companies throughout the United States in the next three years to expand to over 5,000 buses and many more taxicabs, as its acquisitions also included yellow cab firms throughout the United States. During this time, the Gallagher family would start another company, Student Transportation of America, based in the area of its Coast Cities operation.
Under Stagecoach ownership and the helm of Frank Gallagher, the owner of its predecessors, Coach USA sought to continue expansion, but the company, hit hard by the loss of charter business after the September 11, 2001 attacks, caused Stagecoach to crash to a loss of over ₤524 million, at which point Stagecoach, having lost over 70 percent of its investment and now under the leadership of its founder, Brian Souter, after the downturn cost the previous CEO of Stagecoach his job, announced that all of the taxicab operations and most of Coach USA's subsidiaries were for sale, as Stagecoach sought to focus mostly on operations in the northeast, where Coach USA today maintains subsidized transit operations and scheduled service.
Retrenching, Stagecoach sold its companies in New England to Peter Pan Bus Lines. Companies in the Southwest, West, and Rocky Mountain regions were sold to Kohlberg Kravis Roberts to form Coach America, and companies in the southeastern United States were sold to Lincolnshire Management, rebranded as American Coach Lines (which was merged with Coach America in 2006), all at heavy losses. The contract transit division was flipped to competitor First Transit. As a result of the sale of most of Coach USA's operations, the company's headquarters were relocated from Texas to the Community Coach garage in Paramus, New Jersey. Eight of the sold companies would be reacquired when Coach America declared bankruptcy in 2012, along with Lakefront/Hopkins in Ohio, with the intent of expanding (and in the case of California, reintroducing) the Megabus brand.
Coach USA's operations today consist primarily of scheduled services in New York metropolitan area and Chicago metropolitan area, with a number of charter operations near Pittsburgh and scheduled operations in the Southern Tier of New York and southern Wisconsin, along with its Megabus operations throughout the eastern and central United States.
- American Coach Lines of Atlanta (Norcross, GA)
- All West Coachlines (Sacramento, CA)
- Butler Motor Transit (Butler, PA)
- Central Cab Company (Waynesburg, PA)
- Chicago Trolley & Double Decker Co. (Chicago, IL)
- Coach Canada (Peterborough, ON)
- Coach USA Erie (Erie, PA)
- Coach USA Elko (Elko, NV)
- Community Coach (Paramus, NJ)
- Country Road Tours (Clarksburg, WV)
- Dillon’s Bus Service (Hanover, MD)
- Gad-About Tours (Pittsburgh, PA)
- Gray Line Montreal (Montreal, QC)
- Gray Line New York Sightseeing (New York, NY)
- Kerrville Bus (Dallas / San Antonio, TX)
- Lakefront Lines (Brook Park, OH)
- Lenzner Coach Lines (Sewickley, PA)
- Mountaineer Coach (Beaver, WV)
- Newark Liberty Airport Express (Elizabeth, NJ)
- Olympia Trails (Elizabeth, NJ)
- ONE Bus (Elizabeth, NJ)
- Park Tours (Parkersburg, WV)
- Powder River Transportation (Gilette, WY)
- Rockland Coaches (Westwood, NJ)
- Short Line Bus (Mahwah, NJ)
- Southern California Gray Line (Anaheim, CA)
- Suburban Transit (New Brunswick, NJ)
- Tri State Coach (Gary, IN)
- Van Galder Bus Company (Janesville, WI)
- Wisconsin Coach Lines (Waukesha, WI)
Megabus is an intercity bus service providing discount travel services since 2006, operating throughout the eastern, southern, midwestern, and western United States and in the Canadian provinces of Ontario and Quebec. Megabus is notable for using curbside bus stops instead of traditional stations, low fares starting at $1, and in recent years, operating a point-to-point network of routes with buses making few stops en route to their destination.
- Coach America – owner of former Coach USA West, South Central, and Southeast Divisions
- Peter Pan Bus Lines – owner of former Coach USA New England Division
- Student Transportation of America – another company founded by the Gallagher family
- Roman, Alex (2015-01-05). "Fleets Growing, Business Strong for Motorcoach Top 50". Metro. Retrieved 2015-05-17.
- "Coast Cities Bus History". Retrieved 2009-10-03.
- "Coach USA from Answers.com". Retrieved 2008-06-21.
- "Bid to make Coach USA King of the Road (The Independent)". The Sunday Herald. June 18, 2000. Retrieved 2008-06-21.
- Verity, Andrew (1999-06-15). "Stagecoach pays pounds 1.21bn for largest US bus operator". London: The Independent. Retrieved 2013-10-28.
- Kemp, Kenny (2002-12-01). "Stagecoach's US ambitions come at a price (The Sunday Herald)". The Sunday Herald. Retrieved 2008-06-21.
- "Coach USA up for sale after write-down drives Stagecoach into pounds (The Independent)". 2002-12-15. Retrieved 2008-06-21.[dead link]
- "Peter Pan to acquire five Coach USA affiliates". Retrieved 2015-05-17.
- "Stagecoach Group agrees terms for the sale of the West and South Central regions of Coach USA". 2003-06-06. Retrieved 2008-06-22.
- Stagecoach steps up its US sell-off
- "Lincolnshire Management Inc. sells American Coach Lines, Inc.". 2006-05-11. Retrieved 2008-07-12.
- "Stagecoach Group sells Coach USA Transit Division (Stagecoach Group press release)". 2003-05-22. Retrieved 2008-06-21.
- Coach USA. "Contact Us". coachusa.com. Retrieved March 1, 2015.
- "The Insider - COACH USA Acquires Several Motorcoach Companies Across America". ABA. Retrieved 2015-05-17.
- Coach USA, Inc.—Control—Blue Bird Coach Lines, Inc.; Butler Motor Transit, Inc.; Gad-About Tours, Inc.; P&S Transportation, Inc.; Pittsburgh Transportation Charter Services, Inc.; Syracuse and Oswego Coach Lines, Inc.; Tippett Travel, Inc., d/b/a Marie’s Charter Bus Lines; Tucker Transportation Co., Inc.; and Utica- Rome Bus Co., Inc.
- Coach USA, Inc., and Coach USA Northeast, Inc.ControlBonanza Bus Lines, Inc. and Coach USA North Central, Inc.ControlCentral Cab Company and Mountaineer Coach, Inc.
- Acquisition of Blue Bird continues national trend
- Four (4) YEAR CONTRACT MEMORANDUM OF AGREEMENT JANUARY 12, 2013 THROUGH JANUARY 12, 2017
- "Kerrville Bus Co. has new owner". San Antonio Business Journal. Retrieved 2015-05-21.
- Coach USA, Inc.—Control Exemption— Air Travel Transportation, Inc.; Airlines Acquisition Co., Inc.; and Transportation Management Services, Inc.
- Coach USA, Inc.—Control—Brunswick Transportation Company d/b/a The Maine Line, et al.
- "Southern California Gray Line - About Us". Retrieved 2015-05-17.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Coach USA.|