3.7.2 / 30 July 2018
|Type||Web Development / IDE|
Aptana Public License, v1.0
GNU General Public License
Language & platform support
Aptana Studio 3 provides the following support for PHP application development:
- Syntax Coloring according to the selected theme in the preferences;
- Code Assist;
- Syntax error annotations;
- Auto indentation and Code Formatting;
- Hyper-linking to classes, functions and variables by hovering over elements and pressing the Ctrl key;
- PHPDoc popups when hovering over items that have attached documentation;
- Read and write Occurrences Markers when clicking on specific PHP elements.
In the 2.0 version, Aptana did not provide its own PHP plugin, but transferred development efforts to the PDT project.
Aptana version 1.5 provided support for developing PHP applications via the add-on PHP plugin. This included:
- Built-in PHP server for previewing within Aptana Studio,
- Full code assist, code outlining and code formatting,
- Integrated PHP debugger,
- Built in Smarty,
- Type hierarchy view,
- Go to declaration,
- Integrated PHP manual (online or local).
Ruby on Rails
Aptana Studio supports Ruby on Rails development using RadRails, an open source plugin for the Ruby on Rails framework. This includes:
- Integrated Ruby on Rails shell console,
- Default-install and configuration of the Ruby interpreter, database and debugger,
- code completion with type inferencing,
- Type hierarchy view,
- Go to declaration,
- Call hierarchy,
- Full implementation of RDT (Eclipse's Ruby Development Tools project).
- Color syntax highlighting;
- Code completion;
- Code outlining;
- Refactoring tools
- Interactive console
- Unittest integration
- Integrated support for the CPython, Jython and IronPython interpreters.
Aptana announced that their previously commercial Pydev Extensions are now open sourced.
Nokia Web Runtime
The Nokia Web Runtime provides support for developing rich mobile apps for Nokia S60 series phones. This includes over 30 models and tens of millions of units in use around the world. The Nokia WRT Plug-in for Aptana Studio provides features that enable the creation, editing, testing and deployment of WRT widgets from within Aptana Studio.
WRT widgets are small, task-focused web applications that are installed and run in the same way as other S60 applications. WRT widgets allow websites or web services to be optimised for use on S60 devices. Because they are easy to develop and use, WRT widgets are ideal for driving traffic to a website from S60 devices.
Code Assist is similar to completing code statements, by presenting a pop-up with either:
- the supported arguments for the function call being coded;
- the supported properties and methods on the desired object.
This applies both to built-in functions/methods and to those already coded — but the latter use requires documenting such functions/methods with ScriptDoc, a documentation dialect similar to that used by Javadoc.
- Windows – 512 MB RAM, Pentium 4-level processor
- Mac OS X – 512 MB RAM, PowerPC G4/G5, Intel or Mac OS X 10.4+
- Linux – 512 MB RAM, Pentium 4-level processor
Aptana Studio is available as an open source Community Edition. The previously available features in the paid-for Pro Edition were merged into the Community Edition. All of the features in Pro are now part of the standard Community Edition of Studio, thus Aptana ceased to exist as a multiple edition IDE.
Aptana uses a "dual licensing" model. Under this model, users may choose to use the Aptana IDE under the free software/open source GNU General Public License (commonly known as the "GPL") or under the Aptana Public License (known as the "APL").
With the GPL license, the Aptana IDE is available free of charge, as long as the redistribution (if any) of the Aptana IDE adheres to the terms of the GPL license. Users may download the software for free and modify, integrate and distribute it.
- When launched in 2006, Aptana was released under the Eclipse Public License 1.0. They were using the EPL until milestone 8. The first few builds of milestone 9 were licensed under the Eclipse Public License 1.0 until nightly build 16120.
- One nightly build of milestone 9 was licensed under the GNU General Public License 3.0 (build 16204)
- Builds after 16204 have been licensed as Freeware with redistribution restrictions licensed under the Aptana Public License, v1.0.
- On September 21, 2007, Aptana announced they would be using a dual license: GPL V3 and the freeware APL.
Aptana is currently led by Paul Colton, Founder and CEO, Uri Sarid, CTO/VP, Engineering and Kevin Hakman, Director of Evangelism. The staff headcount surpassed 25 after September 1, 2008. Aptana is an active participant in the OpenAjax Alliance, with Hakman serving as director of the IDE Working Group.
Aptana was acquired by Appcelerator, Inc. on January 7, 2011. Employees of Aptana were absorbed to the Mountain View campus of Appcelerator and work is scheduled to continue on the release of Aptana 3.0. Appcelerator in their webcast made users aware of their intention to integrate their mobile application framework with Aptana Studio, with a planned beta within Q1 2011. Emphasis on visual workflow was indicated for both of the products and continued support will continue for existing Aptana products. Appcelerator put Jaxer on GitHub.
Jaxer is not a standalone web server, but works with another server such as Apache, Jetty or Tomcat. Jaxer provides server-side DOM and API processing for pages served by the web server before delivering the results to the browser.
Jaxer may be integrated into Aptana Studio via an optional plugin. It is open source (GPL) and available for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux/Solaris.
As of November 2009 Aptana has significantly scaled back development and support of Jaxer. An Aptana representative noted that "there hasn't been sufficient adoption to make it a money earning proposition."
Aptana Cloud Connect
Aptana Cloud Connect is Aptana's web hosting and application management service. Cloud Connect provides the infrastructure required to host applications developed using technologies supported by Aptana Studio and is primarily based on Apache, with support for general web/Ajax, PHP, Ruby on Rails and Jaxer. Cloud Connect also supports Java-based web applications, which may be deployed and managed using the Cloud service. All applications hosted on Cloud Connect may be developed offline, deployed and managed directly using the Cloud management features included in Aptana Studio. The Cloud Connect service also provides team management, hosted source control (using Subversion), remote editing/preview and application synchronization between local, staging and production environments.
- https://github.com/aptana/studio3/releases; retrieved: 13 August 2018.
- "Support for Perl syntax highlight via the EPIC plugin".[permanent dead link]
- "Aptana wiki".
- "Appcelerator PyDev".
- "PyDev 1.5.0 (Pydev Extensions Open Sourced)".
- "Adobe AIR Screencast". Archived from the original on 2008-05-06. Retrieved 2008-05-22.
- "Nokia WRT (Web Runtime) plug-in". Archived from the original on 2009-09-25.
- "About Code Assist". Archived from the original on 14 May 2008. Retrieved 2008-05-22.
- "Documenting your code using ScriptDoc". Archived from the original on 22 May 2008. Retrieved 2008-05-22.
- "Browser Support screencast". Archived from the original on 2006-08-07. Retrieved 2008-05-22.
- "SFTP Now Free in Aptana Studio!". Archived from the original on 2010-07-26.
- "What is Aptana's software licensing model for Aptana Studio?". Aptana Studio Frequently Asked Legal Questions. Archived from the original on 2008-05-14. Retrieved 2008-05-22.
- "Aptana Public License". Archived from the original on 2007-08-29.
- "Jaxer forums?". Retrieved 2009-11-04. (Archived by WebCite at www
.webcitation .org /5l1xyh2rY?url=https%3A%2F%2Faptanastudio .tenderapp .com%2Fdiscussions%2Fproblems%2F376-jaxer-forums)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Aptana.|
- Aptana – official website