College Terrace, Palo Alto, California
|This article is an orphan, as no other articles link to it. Please introduce links to this page from ; try the Find link tool for suggestions. (March 2010)|
An all-residential neighborhood, College Terrace stretches 12 by two blocks. It lies between South California Avenue and Stanford Avenue, from Amherst Street to El Camino Real. College Avenue runs down the center of the neighborhood. College Terrace is directly adjacent to Escondido Village, a campus residence on the southern edge of Stanford University. The neighborhood features its own branch of the Palo Alto Public Library system.
There are three parks in the College Terrace neighborhood:
- Donaldina M. Cameron Park, located on Wellesley Street between Stanford Avenue and College Avenue.
- William C. Werry Park, located on Dartmouth Street between Stanford Avenue and College Avenue.
- Frederick W. Weisshaar Park, also on Dartmouth Street between College Avenue and South California Avenue.
There are three religious communities in College Terrace:
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints
- The Chabad House
- University Lutheran Church
All of the street names in the College Terrace neighborhood are named after East Coast colleges and universities such as Amherst, Bowdoin, Columbia, Dartmouth, Harvard, Oberlin, Princeton, Cornell, Wellesley, Williams and Yale.
The neighborhood also notoriously gave its name to the College Terrace Rapist, who forced at least 11 women living in the neighborhood to have sex at knifepoint between 1971 and 1979. The College Terrace Rapist eventually admitted to at least 100 rapes both in College Terrace and elsewhere in California.
- College Terrace Library
- see: 'Views from the Terrace' newsletter, Nov 2002 http://www.ctra.org/views/November02/Nov02.html
- "Remembering the terror in College Terrace". Palo Alto online. Retrieved 2014-04-16.
- "A serial rapist's trail of tragedies". freelancestar.com. 1994-03-28. Retrieved 2014-10-25.
- College Terrace Residents' Association
- City Data for College Terrace
- City of Palo Alto official website
- Palo Alto local portal