|Full name||David Zaharakis|
|Date of birth||21 February 1990|
|Original team(s)||Eltham (NFL)
Northern Knights (TAC Cup)
|Draft||No. 23, 2008 national draft|
|Height / weight||182 cm / 78 kg|
|Position(s)||Midfielder / Forward|
1 Playing statistics correct to the end of 2016.
David Zaharakis (born 21 February 1990) is a professional Australian rules footballer, currently playing for the Essendon Football Club in the Australian Football League (AFL), who is of Greek heritage.
Zaharakis attended Our Lady Help of Christians, finishing Year 12 in 2008 at Marcellin College, where he also won the Terrence Cleary Memorial Sporting Award for sportsmanship and sporting excellence. He played for the Northern Knights in the TAC Cup and junior football for Eltham Panthers in the Northern Football League. He was named in the under-18 All-Australian team, playing for Vic Metro.
Zaharakis was drafted by Essendon with pick 23 in the 2008 National Draft, whom he supported growing up. He was awarded the number 11 guernsey, which was previously worn by Damien Peverill. He made his debut against Fremantle in round 2, 2009, and earned the Rising Star nomination on debut. In round 5, against Collingwood, he kicked the match winning goal during the final seconds of the Anzac Day match to help the bombers win by five points.
In round 5, 2013, he won the Anzac Day Medal where he recorded 34-disposals and kicked four goals. It was revealed by his manager during 2013 that he did not take any part in Essendon's 2012 controversial sport science program that has since put the club under scrutiny by the AFL and ASADA (Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority).
- Statistics are correct to the end of the 2016 season.
|Totals||Averages (per game)|
- Merry, Mark (13 November 2008). "Year 12 Valedictory Awards". Marcellin College. Retrieved 13 December 2008.
- "Malthouse fumes: we let Anzacs down". www.abc.net.au. 26 April 2009. Retrieved 4 August 2015.
- Cook, Jessica (7 April 2009). "Zaharakis wins Round 2 Rising Star nomination". essendonfc.com.au. Bigpond. Retrieved 4 August 2015.
- Connolly, Rohan (26 April 2009). "Bombers come from the clouds". The Age. Retrieved 4 August 2015.
- Williams, Rebecca (8 October 2011). "Crichton Medal to David Zaharakis". Herald Sun. News Corp Australia. Retrieved 4 August 2015.
- Rolfe, Peter (25 April 2013). "Essendon, led by Anzac Day medallist David Zaharakis, crushes Collingwood at the MCG". Herald Sun. Retrieved 4 August 2015.
- Macgugan, Mark (31 July 2013). "Fear of needles: Zaharakis wasn't injected". AFL.com.au. Bigpond. Retrieved 1 August 2013.
- David Zaharakis's player profile at AFL Tables