January 4, 1984 |
Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
|Height||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|Weight||185 lb (84 kg; 13.2 st)|
|Reach||77.0 in (196 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Wilmington, North Carolina, United States|
|Team||Renzo Gracie Jiu-Jitsu
|Rank||Purple belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu under David Branch|
|Wrestling||NCAA Division II Wrestling|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|University||North Carolina at Pembroke|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Brunson wrestled at John T. Hoggard High School under coach Dan Willis. Brunson was a 3-time Division II All-American wrestler from the University of North Carolina at Pembroke. When he finished college he immediately turned his attention to mixed martial arts. He trains at Renzo Gracie Jiu-Jitsu and Jackson's MMA along with Jon Jones.
Brunson made his professional MMA debut in May 2010 against John Bryant where he won by a rear naked choke in under a minute. He then won his next 5 fights with none of them having made it past 2:30 of the first round.
In a quick turnaround, Brunson fought his second fight for Strikeforce just over one month after his debut. He faced Lumumba Sayers on the undercard of Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Henderson on July 30, 2011. He won the fight via submission in the first round.
Brunson's next fight was on November 18, 2011, at Strikeforce Challengers: Britt vs. Sayers against Nate James. He won the fight via unanimous decision.
Brunson was scheduled to face Ronaldo Souza on March 3, 2012, at Strikeforce: Tate vs. Rousey. However, the Ohio State Athletic Commission denied his fight license based on an eye exam he had submitted. Derek fought wearing contacts in all of his bouts but Ohio has a rule against this. Derek immediately scheduled a Lasik procedure and is expected to miss about 6 weeks. Brunson later faced Souza on August 18, 2012, at Strikeforce: Rousey vs Kaufman and was defeated by KO at :41 of the 1st round.
The Ultimate Fighter
Brunson was accepted to compete in The Ultimate Fighter 17, but on the first day of filming he was pulled from the competition due to Showtime having yet to release him from his contract.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Brunson made his UFC debut replacing an injured Karlos Vemola against Chris Leben on December 29, 2012, at UFC 155. Despite being a late replacement and heavy underdog, Brunson utilized his superior wrestling to defeat Leben via unanimous decision.
Brunson was expected to face Ronny Markes on June 8, 2013, at UFC on Fuel TV 10. However, the bout was scrapped on the day of the weigh in as Markes was involved in a traffic accident. While Markes was not seriously injured, the incident prevented him from competing.
Brunson was expected to face Antonio Braga Neto on November 6, 2013, at UFC Fight Night 31. However, Neto pulled out of the bout citing an injury and was replaced by Brian Houston. Brunson won the fight in impressive fashion early, connecting with a head kick on Houston and then securing a rear-naked choke submission.
The bout with Romero was rescheduled for January 15, 2014, at UFC Fight Night 35. After winning the first two rounds, Brunson was dropped by a left hook and lost the fight via TKO due to elbows on the ground in the third round. Both fighters earned a $50,000 Fight of the Night bonus award.
On February 15, 2014, it was announced that Brunson has signed a four-fight contract with UFC.
Brunson was expected to face Lorenz Larkin on August 2, 2014, at UFC 176. After UFC 176 was cancelled, Larkin/Brunson was rescheduled and eventually took place on August 30, 2014, at UFC 177. Brunson won the fight via unanimous decision.
Brunson was expected to face Ed Herman on December 13, 2014, at UFC on Fox 13. However, the bout was scrapped just hours before the fight, as Brunson was stricken with a stomach ailment. Subsequently, the bout with Herman was rescheduled and took place on January 31, 2015, at UFC 183. Brunson won the fight via TKO in the first round.
Brunson was expected to face Krzysztof Jotko on June 20, 2015, at UFC Fight Night 69. However, Brunson pulled out of the fight on June 9 citing a rib injury and was briefly replaced by Uriah Hall. Three days after the booking, Hall was removed due to an alleged visa issue. In turn, Jotko was removed from the card entirely.
Brunson faced Uriah Hall on September 17, 2016, at UFC Fight Night 94. Brunson won the fight via TKO in the first round after dropping Hall with a left hook and finished him with a flurry of ground and pound.
Brunson faced Robert Whittaker on November 27, 2016, at UFC Fight Night 101. He lost the back and forth fight via first round TKO. Both participants were awarded a Fight of the Night bonus.
Championships and accomplishments
Mixed martial arts
- University of North Carolina at Pembroke
- 3-time Division II All-American Wrestler
- 2002 UCA Small Co-ed National Champs - Cheerleading
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|20 matches||16 wins||4 losses|
|Loss||16–4||Robert Whittaker||TKO (head kick and punches)||UFC Fight Night: Whittaker vs. Brunson||November 27, 2016||1||4:07||Melbourne, Australia||Fight of the Night.|
|Win||16–3||Uriah Hall||TKO (punches)||UFC Fight Night: Poirier vs. Johnson||September 17, 2016||1||1:41||Hidalgo, Texas, United States|
|Win||15–3||Roan Carneiro||KO (punches)||UFC Fight Night: Cowboy vs. Cowboy||February 21, 2016||1||2:38||Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States|
|Win||14–3||Sam Alvey||TKO (punches)||UFC Fight Night: Teixeira vs. Saint Preux||August 8, 2015||1||2:19||Nashville, Tennessee, United States|
|Win||13–3||Ed Herman||TKO (punches)||UFC 183||January 31, 2015||1||0:36||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||12–3||Lorenz Larkin||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 177||August 30, 2014||3||5:00||Sacramento, California, United States|
|Loss||11–3||Yoel Romero||TKO (punches and elbows)||UFC Fight Night: Rockhold vs. Philippou||January 15, 2014||3||3:23||Duluth, Georgia, United States||Fight of the Night.|
|Win||11–2||Brian Houston||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC: Fight for the Troops 3||November 6, 2013||1||0:48||Fort Campbell, Kentucky, United States|
|Win||10–2||Chris Leben||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 155||December 29, 2012||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||9–2||Ronaldo Souza||KO (punches)||Strikeforce: Rousey vs. Kaufman||August 18, 2012||1||0:41||San Diego, California, United States|
|Loss||9–1||Kendall Grove||Decision (split)||ShoFight 20||June 16, 2012||3||5:00||Springfield, Missouri, United States||For the ShoFight Middleweight Championship.|
|Win||9–0||Nate James||Decision (unanimous)||Strikeforce Challengers: Britt vs. Sayers||November 18, 2011||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||8–0||Lumumba Sayers||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Henderson||July 30, 2011||1||4:33||Hoffman Estates, Illinois, United States|
|Win||7–0||Jeremy Hamilton||Decision (unanimous)||Strikeforce Challengers: Fodor vs. Terry||June 24, 2011||3||5:00||Kent, Washington, United States|
|Win||6–0||Danny Babcock||KO (punch)||World Extreme Fighting 45||January 22, 2011||1||1:07||Jacksonville, Florida, United States|
|Win||5–0||Rhomez Brower||Submission (punches)||XFP: The Holiday Fight Fest||December 4, 2010||1||2:27||Wilmington, North Carolina, United States|
|Win||4–0||Todd Chattelle||TKO (punches)||ICE: Fright Night 2010||October 29, 2010||1||0:14||Providence, Rhode Island, United States|
|Win||3–0||Edward Jackson||KO (punches)||Carolina's Summer Fight Series 3||July 31, 2010||1||0:41||Jacksonville, North Carolina, United States|
|Win||2–0||Chris McNally||KO (punches)||Carolina's Summer Fight Series 2||June 26, 2010||1||1:42||Wilmington, North Carolina, United States|
|Win||1–0||John Bryant||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Carolina's Summer Fight Series 1||May 22, 2010||1||0:52||Wilmington, North Carolina, United States|
- "Fight Card - UFC Fight Night Teixeira vs. Saint Preux". UFC.com. Retrieved August 9, 2015.
- "Fight Card - UFC Fight Night Dos Santos vs. Miocic". UFC.com. Retrieved December 15, 2014.
- Andrew Richardson (November 22, 2016). "Fighter on Fighter: Breaking down UFC Fight Night 101's Derek Brunson". MMAmania.com.
- @DerekBrunson (September 26, 2016). ""5 years of jiu jitsu finally received my purple belt from @davidbranch32 a Renzo Gracie black belt. (...)"". Twitter. Retrieved November 26, 2016.
- Damon Martin (January 22, 2011). "Names in the Game: Derek Brunson". MMAWeekly.com.
- "Derek Brunson - Official UFC Fighter Profile". UFC.com. Retrieved November 26, 2016.
- "Derek B. UFC News". Retrieved 2016-09-18.
- "Strikeforce just signed a 6-0 force of nature to their middleweight division, and here's his TUF audition reel". MiddleEasy.com. March 1, 2011.
- "Derek Brunson Official Mixed Martial Arts Fighter Profile". mixedmartialarts.com. Retrieved August 31, 2014.
- "Derek Brunson vs. Lumumba Sayers Added to Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Henderson Undercard". sports.yahoo.com. Retrieved 2011-07-12.
- "Following license denial, Strikeforce's Derek Brunson plans Lasik surgery". mmajunkie.com. 2012-02-21.
- "Karlos Vemola out at UFC 155, Strikeforce vet Derek Brunson meets Chris Leben". mmajunkie.com. December 18, 2012.
- Staff (March 12, 2013). "Derek Brunson vs. Ronny Markes targeted for UFC on FUEL TV 10". mmajunkie.com.
- Staff (2013-06-07). "Derek Brunson vs. Ronny Markes pulled from UFC on FUEL TV 10 lineup". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-06-07.
- Staff (2013-06-17). "UFC 164 Gains Derek Brunson vs. Yoel Romero". mmaweekly.com. Retrieved 2013-06-17.
- Staff (2013-08-04). "Brian Houston replaces Derek Brunson, meets Yoel Romero at UFC 164". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-08-04.
- Staff (2013-09-16). "Derek Brunson vs. Antonio Braga Neto joins UFC Fight Night 31 lineup". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-09-16.
- Staff. "Brian Houston in for Antonio Braga Neto vs. Derek Brunson at UFC Fight Night 31". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-09-24.
- Staff (2013-11-26). "UFC Fight Night 35 adds Yoel Romero vs. Derek Brunson". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-11-26.
- "UFC Fight Night 35 Bonuses: Rockhold, Miller, Romero, Brunson Earn $50K Awards", by Mike Whitman, Sherdog.com
- Guillen, Adam jr. (2014-02-15). "Derek Brunson signs new four-fight contract with UFC". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2014-03-18.
- Ken Pishna (2014-06-07). "Derek Brunson vs. Lorenz Larkin Added to UFC 176". mmaweekly.com. Retrieved 2014-06-07.
- Staff (2014-07-09). "Danny Castillo-Tony Ferguson, Derek Brunson-Lorenz Larkin moved to UFC 177". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-07-09.
- Staff (2014-09-18). "Derek Brunson vs. Ed Herman slated for UFC on FOX 13 in Phoenix". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-09-18.
- Staff (2014-12-13). "Derek Brunson stomach issue forces late scratch of UFC on FOX 13 fight with Ed Herman". mmajunkie.com.
- Tristen Critchfield (2014-12-16). "Derek Brunson-Ed Herman middleweight bout rebooked for UFC 183 on Jan. 31". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2014-12-16.
- Andrew Ravens (2015-04-16). "Derek Brunson vs. Krzysztof Jotko Added To UFC Fight Night 69". efightnews.com. Retrieved 2015-04-17.
- Staff (2015-06-09). "Uriah Hall replaces Derek Brunson at UFC Fight Night 69 in Berlin". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-06-09.
- Staff (2015-06-12). "Three days after UFC Fight Night 69 booking, Uriah Hall pulled from card". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-06-12.
- Dave Doyle (2015-06-16). "Derek Brunson vs. Sam Alvey set for UFC Fight Night 73 in Nashville". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2015-06-16.
- Steven Marrocco (2015-08-08). "UFC Fight Night 73 results: Derek Brunson scores first-round TKO of Sam Alvey". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-08-08.
- Nick Baldwin (2015-12-04). "UFC announces return to Pittsburgh, first fight confirmed". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved 2015-12-04.
- Ben Fowlkes (2016-02-21). "UFC Fight Night 83 results: Derek Brunson blasts Roan Carneiro for quick TKO". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-02-21.
- "Derek Brunson out of UFC 200 bout with Gegard Mousasi". MMAjunkie. 2016-06-19. Retrieved 2016-06-19.
- Staff (2016-07-18). "UFC Fight Night 94 adds four bouts, including Derek Brunson vs. Uriah Hall co-headliner". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-07-18.
- Damon Martin (2016-09-17). "Derek Brunson finishes Uriah Hall with devastating first-round TKO". foxsports.com. Retrieved 2016-09-17.
- Marc Raimondi (2016-09-21). "Derek Brunson gets quick turnaround, faces Robert Whittaker at UFC Fight Night 101". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2016-09-21.
- Steven Marrocco (2016-11-27). "UFC Fight Night 101 results: Robert Whittaker stops Derek Brunson in wild back-and-forth brawl". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-11-27.
- Tristen Critchfield (2016-11-27). "UFC Fight Night 101 bonuses: Robert Whittaker pockets $100K for first-round TKO". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2016-11-27.
- Raimondi, Marc (2017-01-13). "Anderson Silva vs. Derek Brunson set for UFC 208 in Brooklyn". MMA Fighting. Retrieved 2017-01-14.
- Staff (2014-10-17). "Brunson Named UNC Pembroke Young Alumnus Of The Year". UNCPBraves.com. Retrieved 2014-11-13.