|UFC 248: Adesanya vs. Romero|
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship|
|Date||March 7, 2020|
|City||Paradise, Nevada, United States|
UFC 248: Adesanya vs. Romero was a mixed martial arts event produced by the Ultimate Fighting Championship that took place on March 7, 2020 at T-Mobile Arena in Paradise, Nevada, part of the Las Vegas Metropolitan Area, United States.
A UFC Middleweight Championship bout between the current champion Israel Adesanya and former interim title challenger (as well as 2000 Olympic silver medalist and former world champion in freestyle wrestling) Yoel Romero headlined the event.
A middleweight bout between former champion Robert Whittaker (also The Ultimate Fighter: The Smashes welterweight winner) and Jared Cannonier was expected to take place at this event. However, it was announced on January 15 that Whittaker pulled out of the bout. Subsequently, promotion officials announced that Cannonier would be on standby in the event that one of the main event participants were to pull out of that contest. In turn, Cannonier indicated in mid-February that he had suffered a torn pectoral injury while training and would be sidelined for several months.
A bantamweight bout between Sean O'Malley and The Ultimate Fighter: Latin America bantamweight winner José Alberto Quiñónez was originally scheduled to take place at UFC 229. However, it was scrapped after O'Malley failed a United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) drug test. The bout was then expected to take place at UFC 247, but it was eventually moved to this event for unknown reasons.
While not officially announced by the organization, a featherweight bout between Calvin Kattar and Jeremy Stephens was expected to take place at the event. However, Stephens was removed from the card in mid-January with an injury. The pairing was left intact and rescheduled for UFC 249.
A featherweight bout between Douglas Silva de Andrade and Movsar Evloev was scheduled to take place at the event. However, de Andrade withdrew from the bout due to injury and was replaced by promotional newcomer Jamall Emmers. Subsequently, Evloev pulled out of the fight in late February citing injuries sustained in a road accident. He was replaced by Giga Chikadze.
A middleweight bout between Derek Brunson and Edmen Shahbazyan was scheduled to take place at the event. However, it was announced on February 20 that the bout had moved to UFC Fight Night: Overeem vs. Harris.
At the weigh-ins, Emily Whitmire weighed in at 117.5 pounds, 1.5 pounds over the strawweight non-title fight limit of 116 pounds. She was fined 20% of her purse and her bout with Polyana Viana was expected to proceed as scheduled at a catchweight. However, Whitmire was hospitalized the day of the event and the fight was cancelled.
|Middleweight||Israel Adesanya (c)||def.||Yoel Romero||Decision (unanimous) (48–47, 48–47, 49–46)||5||5:00||[a]|
|Women's Strawweight||Zhang Weili (c)||def.||Joanna Jędrzejczyk||Decision (split) (48–47, 47–48, 48–47)||5||5:00||[b]|
|Lightweight||Beneil Dariush||def.||Drakkar Klose||KO (punch)||2||1:00|
|Welterweight||Neil Magny||def.||Li Jingliang||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Welterweight||Alex Oliveira||def.||Max Griffin||Decision (split) (28–29, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Preliminary Card (ESPN)|
|Bantamweight||Sean O'Malley||def.||José Alberto Quiñónez||TKO (head kick and punches)||1||2:02|
|Lightweight||Mark Madsen||def.||Austin Hubbard||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Middleweight||Rodolfo Vieira||def.||Saparbek Safarov||Submission (arm-triangle choke)||1||2:58|
|Middleweight||Gerald Meerschaert||def.||Deron Winn||Submission (rear-naked choke)||3||2:13|
|Early Preliminary Card (ESPN+)|
|Featherweight||Giga Chikadze||def.||Jamall Emmers||Decision (split) (29–28, 28–29, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Bantamweight||Danaa Batgerel||def.||Guido Cannetti||KO (punches)||1||3:01|
The following fighters received $50,000 bonuses.
- Fight of the Night: Zhang Weili vs. Joanna Jędrzejczyk
- Performance of the Night: Beneil Dariush and Sean O’Malley
The following is the reported payout to the fighters as reported to the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC). It does not include sponsor money and also does not include the UFC's traditional "fight night" bonuses. The total disclosed payout for the event was $2,086,000.
- Israel Adesanya: $500,000 (no win bonus) def. Yoel Romero: $350,000
- Zhang Weili: $200,000 (includes $100,000 win bonus) def. Joanna Jędrzejczyk: $106,000
- Beneil Dariush: $140,000 (includes $70,000 win bonus) def. Drakkar Klose: $40,000
- Neil Magny: $152,000 (includes $76,000 win bonus) def. Li Jingliang: $64,000
- Alex Oliviera: $128,000 (includes $64,000 win bonus) def. Max Griffin: $35,000
- Sean O'Malley: $70,000 (includes $35,000 win bonus) def. José Alberto Quiñónez: $33,000
- Mark Madsen: $66,000 (includes $33,000 win bonus) def. Austin Hubbard: $12,000
- Rodolfo Vieira: $28,000 (includes $14,000 win bonus) def. Saparbek Safarov: $22,000
- Gerald Meerschaert: $60,000 (includes $30,000 win bonus) def. Deron Winn: $12,000
- Giga Chikadze: $24,000 (includes $12,000 win bonus) def. Jamall Emmers: $10,000
- Danaa Batgerel: $20,000 (includes $10,000 win bonus) def. Guido Cannetti: $14,000
On September 3, it was announced that the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NAC) suspended Deron Winn for nine months and fined him fined $1,800 after he tested positive for amphetamines in relation to this event. The suspensions is retroactive to the date of the positive test.
- Staff. "UFC 248 draws announced 15,077 attendance for $2.7 million live gate". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved 2020-03-08.
- Redactie (2019-12-14). "Weili Zhang puts title at stake against former champion Joanna Jedrzejczyk during UFC 248". mmadna.nl. Retrieved 2019-12-14. (in Dutch)
- Staff (2019-12-02). "Champ Zhang Weili, Joanna Jedrzejczyk agree to UFC 248 title fight". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved 2019-12-14.
- Mike Bohn and Nolan King (2020-01-16). "Israel Adesanya defends middleweight title against Yoel Romero at UFC 248". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved 2020-01-17.
- Adam Hill (2019-12-13). "Strawweight champ Weili Zhang to fight at UFC 248 in Las Vegas". reviewjournal.com. Retrieved 2019-12-14.
- Nick Walshaw (2019-12-20). "Whittaker's next UFC bout confirmed". dailytelegraph.com.au. Retrieved 2020-01-15.
- Nolan King (2020-01-15). "Robert Whittaker out of UFC 248 fight against Jared Cannonier". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved 2020-03-02.
- Ryan Harkness (2020-02-08). "UFC taps Jared Cannonier as backup fighter for UFC 248 Adesanya vs. Romero main event". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2020-02-10.
- Tristen Critchfield (2020-02-15). "Middleweight contender Jared Cannonier targets Fall return after suffering torn pectoral injury". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2020-02-17.
- Marc Raimondi (2018-09-30). "Sean O'Malley announces he's failed USADA drug test, out of UFC 229". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2020-01-05.
- Farah Hannoun and John Morgan (2020-01-03). "Sean O'Malley vs. Jose Quinonez moved to UFC 248 in Las Vegas". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved 2020-01-05.
- Mike Bohn and Nolan King (2020-01-05). "Calvin Kattar, Jeremy Stephens agree to UFC 248 clash in Las Vegas". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved 2020-01-05.
- Nolan King (2020-01-16). "Jeremy Stephens injured, out of planned UFC 248 bout vs. Calvin Kattar; rescheduling expected". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved 2020-01-16.
- Nolan King (2020-01-23). "Calvin Kattar vs. Jeremy Stephens in the works for UFC 249". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved 2020-01-23.
- Redactie (2020-02-12). "Jamall Emmers takes short notice game against Movsar Evloev during UFC 248 in Las Vegas". mmadna.nl. Retrieved 2020-02-12. (in Dutch)
- Newswire (2020-02-27). "Movsar Evloev out of UFC 248 after motorcycle accident". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2020-02-28.
- Redactie (2020-02-27). "Giga Chikadze replaces Movsar Evloev against Jamall Emmers during UFC 248 in Las Vegas". mmadna.nl. Retrieved 2020-02-27. (in Dutch)
- Redactie (2020-02-20). "Derek Brunson vs. Edmen Shahbazyan moved from UFC 248 to UFC Portland". mmadna.nl. Retrieved 2020-02-20. (in Dutch)
- Nolan King (2020-03-06). "UFC 248 weigh-in results: champions, challengers hit marks; one undercard fighter misses". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2020-03-06.
- Staff (2020-03-07). "UFC 248 preliminary bout scratched last minute due to medical concerns". yahoo.com. Retrieved 2020-03-07.
- "UFC 248: Adesanya vs. Romero". Ultimate Fighting Championship. Retrieved 2019-12-14.
- Dan Hiergesell (2020-03-08). "UFC 248 bonuses: If Zhang-Jedrzejczyk wasn't 'Fight of the Night,' people would've rioted". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved 2020-03-08.
- Staff (2020-03-09). "UFC 248 salaries: Israel Adesanya takes home good chunk of total payout". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2020-03-09.
- Marc Raimondi (2020-09-03). "Four UFC fighters suspended, fined for positive drug tests". espn.com. Retrieved 2020-09-03.