|Picture format||1080i (HDTV) |
|Owner||Rogers Sports & Media (66.64% and managing partner)|
FX Networks (33.36%)
(8834776 Canada Inc.)
|Launched||April 1, 2014|
FXX is a Canadian English-language discretionary service channel owned by Rogers Sports & Media, a division of Rogers Communications, and the FX Networks subsidiary of Walt Disney Television. Based on the U.S. cable network of the same name, FXX is devoted primarily to scripted comedies for young adults.
It was reported that Rogers had plans to launch a Canadian version of FXX, a younger-skewing spinoff of FX. Originally scheduled for January 2014, FXX's launch was later rescheduled to April 1, 2014. As part of the launch, several shows which previously aired on FX Canada moved to FXX. In addition, a Canadian version of the FXNOW app, which allows viewers to watch shows from FX and FXX, was launched. On the day of the launch, FX Canada's website was completely revamped to include program information from both FX-branded channels.
It was revealed through CRTC regulatory documents that the broadcast licence used to launch FXX was the licence originally granted for a proposed channel called Ampersand. That licence requires the channel's programming to be related to "romance, love and relationships".
As with the Canadian version of FX, any new series produced for FXX in the U.S and will air on this channel as well as reruns of Citytv and CBC originals to fulfill Canadian content requirements. In addition, FXX has also aired several original shows that premiered on FX in the U.S (namely Fargo, Married and You're the Worst). Other programming from the U.S version of FXX, such as Archer, Cake and all of the shows from the former Animation Domination High-Def block, however, are notably absent. In the case of animated series, several of these shows have been acquired by Corus Entertainment for Adult Swim and the former Teletoon at Night block.
Current as of January 2023
Acquired from FX Networks
Other acquired shows
Shows listed in bold are sourced from FX Networks.
- Ali G: Rezurection
- American Dad!
- Bob's Burgers
- Brand X with Russell Brand
- The Bridge
- Da Vinci's City Hall
- Da Vinci's Inquest
- Eastbound & Down
- Family Guy
- The League
- Man Seeking Woman
- The Mindy Project
- Modern Family
- Murdoch Mysteries
- The Office
- Package Deal
- Sons of Anarchy
- Totally Biased with W. Kamau Bell
- Two and a Half Men
- You're the Worst
- Rogers. Discretionary Services crtc.gc.ca
- Rogers goes after younger audience with new FXX channel Toronto Star, January 14, 2014
- "Rogers Media Announces Launch of New Premium Specialty Channel FXX, April 1". Rogers Media TV Access. January 14, 2014. Retrieved March 27, 2014.
- "Rogers Media to Launch FXX Canada in 2014 Via FX Networks Pact". The Hollywood Reporter. May 29, 2013. Retrieved April 1, 2014.
- "FAQ | FX Canada | Watch Full TV Episodes Online & See TV Schedule". Fxnowcanada.ca. Retrieved May 9, 2016.
- List of digital Category 1 and 2 services authorized for distribution Archived July 24, 2014, at the Wayback Machine; CRTC; undated
- Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2011-105 CRTC February 18, 2011