Forest Survey of India
|Headquarters||Dehradun, Uttarakhand, India.|
|Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change, Government of India|
|Part of a series on the|
|Wildlife of India|
Forest Survey of India (FSI), founded in June 1981 and headquartered at Dehradun in Uttarakhand, is a Government of India Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change organisation for conducting forest surveys, studies and research to periodically monitor the changing situation of land and forest resources and present the data for national planning, conservation and sustainable management of environmental protection as well for the implementation of social forestry projects.
FSI (forests) as well as ASI (archaeology), BSI (botany), FiSI (fisheries), GSI (geology), IIEE (ecology), NIO (oceanography), RGCCI (population survey) and language survey), SI (cartography) and ZSI (zoology) are key national survey organisations of India.
Founded in 1976, Forest Survey of India is the successor of "Preinvestment Survey of Forest Resources" (PISFR), a project initiated in 1965 by the government of India with the sponsorship of Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) and United Nations Development Programme (UNDP). In its report in 1976, the National Commission on Agriculture (NCA) recommended the creation of a National Forest Survey Organization for a regular, periodic and comprehensive forest resources survey of the country, leading to the creation of FSI in the same year.
FSI assesses forest cover of the country every 2 years by digital interpretation of remote sensing satellite data and publishes the results in a biennial report called 'State of Forest Report'(SFR).Beginning in 1987, 13 SFRs have come so far. Since 2004, FSI has been monitoring forest fires across the country using MODIS(Moderate-Resolution Imaging Spectrometer) and GIS based technology.
- Arid Forest Research Institute (AFRI)
- Indian Institute of Forest Management (IIFM)
- Indian Council of Forestry Research and Education
- Indian Forest Service (IFS)
- Forest Research Institute (India)
- Van Vigyan Kendra (VVK) Forest Science Centres
- Wildlife Institute of India
- India 2014 Concise, p105.
- "Forest Survey of India, Dehradun". Ministry of Environment and Forests, Government of India. Archived from the original on 8 May 2013. Retrieved 6 April 2008.
- P. R. Shukla, 2003, Climate Change and India: Vulnerability Assessment and Adaptation.
- Kailash Chandra Bebarta, 2007, Forest Planning at Landscape Level: A Case Study of Working Plan.
- Prodyut Bhattacharya, 2017, Redefining Forestry for Effective Livelihoods.
- Berthold Ribbentrop, 1989, Forestry in British India.
- "Brief History". About Us. orest Survey of India. Retrieved 2008-04-06.
- "Objectives of FSI". About Us. orest Survey of India. Retrieved 2008-04-06.
|This article about government in India is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a university or college in Uttarakhand, India is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|