There is also sub-zone known as "Contraviesa-Alpujarras", covering another 13 municipalities in the Alpujarras mountains.
Granada achieved DOP status in 2009
The first evidence of winemaking in Granada is the remains of a Roman villa with a 'lagar' (grape crushing area) near the village of Molvizar
Over 50% of the territory of the province of Granada is at an elevation of over 1000 m above sea level, which means that the average temperatures are lower than in the rest of Andalusia; and so the growing cycle is dealyed with bud-burst, veraisson and harvest all occurring later than usual, i.e. the harvest is usually between the end of August and beginning of October. The average annual temperature in the province of Granada is 15°–16 °C. The absolute maximum is 39 °C and the absolute minimum is −4 °C. Annual sunlight hours are 2,700# Average annual rainfall is 450 mm, with 70 days of rain.
In general the soils are poor in organic matter, phosphorus and nitrogen. They tend to be not very deep and are easily eroded, though water retention is good.
Authorized Grape Varieties
- White: Vigiriega, Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, Moscatel de grano menudo, Pedro Ximenez, Palomino, Baladi Verdejo and Torrontés
- Red: Tempranillo, Garnacha Tinta, Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Merlot, Syrah, Pinot Noir, Monastrell, Romé and Petit Verdot
- Sparkling: Vigiriega, Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, Moscatel de Alejandría and Torrontés
The authorized varieites for the Contraviesa-Alpujarras sub-zone are as follows:
- White: Vigiriega, Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, Moscatel, Pedro Ximenez, Baladi Verdejo and Petit Verdot
- Red: Tempranillo, Garnacha Tinta, Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Merlot, Syrah, Pinot Noir and Petit Verdot
- Sparkling: Vigiriega, Chardonnay and Pinot Noir
- Francisco Antequera (12 July 2012). "PLIEGO DE CONDICIONES DE LA INDICACIN GEOGRFICA PROTEGIDA". Archived from the original Check
|url=value (help) on 26 March 2006. Retrieved 2014-06-05.
- "Denominacion de Origen Protegida - Vino de Calidad de Granada". dopvinosdegranada#es. Archived from the original Check
|url=value (help) on 2006-03-26. Retrieved 2014-06-05.