Hungry Howie's Pizza
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Founded||Taylor, Michigan (1973)|
|Headquarters||Madison Heights, Michigan|
|James R. Hearn (founder) Steven E. Jackson (founder and CEO)|
|Revenue||$280.0 Million (2009)|
Hungry Howie's Pizza, Inc. is the 11th largest pizza chain in the United States, with 575 locations. Its products include pizza, calzone-style subs, chicken wings and tenders, bread, and salads. The corporation headquarters is located in Madison Heights, Michigan in Metro Detroit.
James Hearn opened the first Hungry Howie's on Telegraph Road in Taylor, Michigan in 1973. Howies soon became a popular hangout for students at nearby Taylor Jr. High and Taylor Center High Schools. Jim Hearn decided to franchise their operation in 1982 and partnered with Jackson. They awarded their first franchise the following year. Between 1974 and 1982, there were several other independently owned Hungry Howie pizzarias opened in the Metro-Detroit and Ann Arbor areas prior to franchisee sales. Within the first three years, the company franchised 65 locations, and by 1990 the number had grown to 160. In 2005, the company opened its 500th store.
Hungry Howie's promotes itself as Home of the flavored crust pizza. Their claim to the invention of the flavored crust pizza is unsubstantiated and likely false. The options are Original, Garlic Herb, Onion, Cajun, Butter, Butter Cheese, Sesame, Ranch, Italian Herb, Asiago Cheese. Multiple crust flavors can be combined.
- "James (Jim) Hearn, Founder of Hungry Howie’s Pizza & Subs dies". PMQ Magazine (Press release). PMQ.com. 21 March 2013. Retrieved 2013-04-12.
- "Contact Us". Hungry Howie's Pizza. Retrieved 2013-04-12.
- "Our History to Date". Hungry Howie's Pizza. Retrieved 2013-04-12.
- "Nutrition: Small Pizza". Hungry Howie's Pizza. Retrieved 2013-04-12.
- "Ingredients". Hungry Howie's Pizza. Retrieved 2013-04-12.
- Hungry Howie's - Official Website