Happy's Pizza, Ypsilanti Twp., MI
|Founded||Detroit, Michigan (1994)|
|Headquarters||Farmington Hills, Michigan, U.S.|
Number of locations
|Maher Bashi, COO|
Now the chain has more than 65 locations in Michigan, Nevada, California and Ohio. The pizzerias are known for their granite counter tops, Venetian plaster on their walls and the neon signs in and outside of the building.
Service of otherwise unserved areas
The company makes a point of opening stores and offering delivery services in areas where other pizza places will not. Happy's Pizza started with one restaurant in Detroit, and grew to a large pizza restaurant chain.
Happy Asker and five other shareholders were indicted on counts of fraud and tax evasion. The Office of the United States Attorney for the Eastern District of Michigan alleged Asker and the others came up with a scheme to under-report taxable income and payroll taxes from $2.1 million in wages from more than 50 Happy's Pizza locations in Michigan, Ohio, Indiana and elsewhere. They were charged with conspiracy to defraud the U.S. government, filing false income tax returns, and corrupt endeavor to obstruct IRS laws. The defendants charged with conspiracy faced up to five years in prison and a $25,000 fine. Those charged with filing false tax returns and obstruction faced to three years in prison and a $250,000 fine on each count. In July 2015, Asker was found guilty on all charges and was sentenced to over four years in prison and ordered to pay $2.5 million in restitution. The other four pleaded guilty. Maher Bashi, the pizza chain’s chief operating officer, was sentenced to two years in prison and ordered to pay $620,297. Two franchisees were given prison sentences and a third received three years probation.
- Lynch-Morin, Kathryn (January 21, 2010). "Happy's Pizza plans to open restaurant on Saginaw's West Side". The Saginaw News. Retrieved 26 February 2010.
- Donaldson, Stan (February 4, 2010). "Happy's Pizza aims to keep customers and job seekers in good spirits". Cleveland.com. Cleveland Live, Inc. Retrieved 27 February 2010.
- "Pizzerias stake claims in Flint area | MLive.com". Blog.mlive.com. 2008-02-18. Retrieved 2010-06-01.
- "Happy's Pizza continues expansion drive | Operations". Pizza Marketplace. 2008-02-19. Archived from the original on February 8, 2010. Retrieved 2010-06-01.
- "Happy's Pizza Store Locator". Happyspizza.com. Retrieved 2017-02-16.
- "Happy's Pizza | Ribs - Chicken - Seafood - And More!". Happyspizza.com. Retrieved 2010-06-01.
- "Reports: Happy's Pizza founder, others indicted for fraud, tax evasion". theoaklandpress.com.
- Robert Snell (July 10, 2015). "Happy's Pizza founder gets 4 years in federal prison". The Detroit News. Retrieved 17 October 2015.