Ich habe meine Zuversicht, BWV 188
|Ich habe meine Zuversicht|
|Church cantata by J. S. Bach|
|Performed||17 October 1728 Leipzig:|
|Vocal||SATB choir and solo|
Ich habe meine Zuversicht (I have [placed] my confidence), BWV 188, is a church cantata by Johann Sebastian Bach. He composed the cantata in Leipzig for the 21st Sunday after Trinity and probably first performed it on 17 October 1728.
History and text
The prescribed readings for the day were Ephesians 6:10–17, and John 4:46–54. The text for movements 2 to 5 was written by Picander. The sixth movement is an anonymous chorale written before 1603.
Scoring and structure
The piece has six movements:
- Aria (tenor): Ich habe meine Zuversicht
- Recitative (bass): Gott meint es gut mit jedermann
- Aria (alto): Unerforschlich ist die Weise
- Recitative (soprano): Die Macht der Welt verlieret sich
- Chorale: Auf meinen lieben Gott
The tenor aria has been compared to movements from both the French Suites and the Fifth English Suite. It opens with a string ritornello doubled by oboe; the two parts move into counterpoint after the tenor enters. Formally, the movement has an extended two-part A section before moving to a B section remarkable for its emphasis on instrumental arpeggiation.
The alto aria is "dark and dramatic", in E minor with cello and organ obbligato. The organ line is complex, contributing to a movement that is "a complex and ever-changing kaleidoscope of richly entwined rhythms and melodies".
The soprano recitative is short and accompanied by chordal strings. The final movement is a four-part setting of the chorale tune, doubled by oboe, taille, and strings.
- Gächinger Kantorei / Württembergisches Kammerorchester Heilbronn, Helmuth Rilling. Die Bach Kantate. Hänssler, 1983.
- Holland Boys Choir / Netherlands Bach Collegium, Pieter Jan Leusink. Bach Edition Vol. 5. Brilliant Classics, 1999.
- Monteverdi Choir / English Baroque Soloists, John Eliot Gardiner. Bach Cantatas Vol. 11. Soli Deo Gloria, recorded 2000.
- Amsterdam Baroque Orchestra & Choir, Ton Koopman. J.S. Bach: Complete Cantatas Vol. 19. Antoine Marchand, 2003.
- Bach Collegium Japan, Masaaki Suzuki. J. S. Bach: Cantatas Vol. 49. BIS, 2010.
- Ich habe meine Zuversicht, BWV 188: Scores at the International Music Score Library Project (IMSLP)
- Ich habe meine Zuversicht BWV 188; BC A 154 / Sacred cantata (21st Sunday after Trinity) Bach Digital
- BWV 188 – "Ich habe meine Zuversicht": English translation, discussion, Emmanuel Music
- BWV 188 Ich habe meine Zuversicht: English translation, University of Vermont
- BWV 188.6 bach-chorales.com