Isaac Smith (footballer)
Smith in June 2017
|Date of birth||30 December 1988|
|Place of birth||Young, New South Wales|
|Original team(s)||Temora (Farrer Football League)
East Wagga-Kooringal (Riverina Football League)
Wagga Tigers (AFL Canberra)
Redan (Ballarat Football League)
North Ballarat (Victorian Football League)
|Draft||No. 19, 2010 national draft|
|Debut||Round 7, 2011, Hawthorn
vs. Port Adelaide, at AAMI Stadium
|Height||188 cm (6 ft 2 in)|
|Weight||83 kg (183 lb)|
1 Playing statistics correct to the end of 2017.
|Sources: AFL Tables, AustralianFootball.com|
Hailing from Cootamundra, Smith played football and basketball with Luke Breust in Temora, with both ending up at Hawthorn where they played together in the 2013 AFL Grand Final. Smith moved to Wagga Wagga when he was 13, where he played with Hawthorn's Matt Suckling in the Wagga Hawks for several years before both moved to the Wagga Tigers where they won two premierships.
Smith later moved to Victoria to take up a Sports Management Degree at the University of Ballarat. Joining his mates at Redan, Smith first aired his raking left foot in Redan's reserves. After winning the 2009 senior Ballarat Football League (BFL) Grand Final, he resisted North Ballarat's overtures to do a pre-season with them, but by midway through 2010, he was not only being pulled again by the Roosters, but pushed from within by Redan.
Smith had a meteoric rise in 2010, starting the year playing with Redan in the BFL and finishing in North Ballarat’s Victorian Football League (VFL) premiership side. Smith was also a member of the successful Victorian Country Football League (VCFL) team that won the 2010 Australian Country Football Championships in Canberra.
Smith was Hawthorn's first pick in the 2010 AFL Draft.
Smith was a member of the 2013 Hawthorn premiership side, including kicking an outstanding 50m goal in the last quarter, and was also a member of the 2014 and 2015 Hawthorn premiership sides.
Smith has been described as the "quintessential modern wingman".
- Statistics are correct to the end of 2017.
|Totals||Averages (per game)|
Honours and achievements
|Brownlow Medal votes|
- 3× AFL Premiership: 2013, 2014, 2015
- 2× McClelland Trophy: 2012, 2013
- Hawthorn best clubman: 2016
- Hawthorn most promising player: 2013
- Hanlon, Peter (5 May 2011). "Young Hawks make most of heady rise". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 9 May 2011.
- McDermott, Josh (20 October 2010). "Isaac Smith's big year could get bigger". ABC Ballarat. Retrieved 9 May 2011.
- King, Travis. "The stats files: Why it's tougher than ever to stop Nick Riewoldt". Retrieved 1 July 2016.
- "Isaac Smith". AFL Tables. Retrieved 29 August 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Isaac Smith (footballer).|